The UK is different to The USA in this regard

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can homeless afford a B& B? This doesn't make sense to me..
the local council pays the bill - however what is a big scam is people let their leases run out, landlord evicts them then they get a council house at a very reduced rent as they are technically homeless and the council has to find emergency accommodation
Housing here works on a points system - if you are technically "homeless" you go straight to the top of the list so many make themselves homeless to get cheap housing quicker - a council house here can be £300 a month rent with bills on top a private landlord will be at least £450 for the same thing - so the inconvenience of being in a B&B for 4 weeks is nothing
Trouble is when there just isn't enough council houses and they end up staying in hostels and BB's almost indefinitely.
Or there are the propely homeless as most private landlords don't want people on benefits and now as people can't afford to buy more and more are renting which means landlords can pick and chooses - so why would you take someone without a job?

EmptyNest said:
How can homeless afford a B& B? This doesn't make sense to me.
This is why I never post the B&B articles from the UK, I have to weed them out as they are always so and so murdered here or attacked, but they are always on the dole, homeless families in the B&B's, not guest houses, per se, like we are used to seeing them as.

EmptyNest said:
How can homeless afford a B& B? This doesn't make sense to me.
This is why I never post the B&B articles from the UK, I have to weed them out as they are always so and so murdered here or attacked, but they are always on the dole, homeless families in the B&B's, not guest houses, per se, like we are used to seeing them as.
to be honest its a tiny minority that even take them - for example my insurance doesn't cover me for any one on benefits so we just don't take them.

and again
"When Elsa gets a new stepdad, "Mack the Smack", her life goes from bad to worse. At first, the family has lots of money, but when her stepdad loses his job, the family become so poor they have to move out of their house to live in a dirty Bed and Breakfast."
The Bed and Breakfast Star by Jacqueline Wilson – review
'The Bed and Breakfast Star is a great book!'

and again
"When Elsa gets a new stepdad, "Mack the Smack", her life goes from bad to worse. At first, the family has lots of money, but when her stepdad loses his job, the family become so poor they have to move out of their house to live in a dirty Bed and Breakfast."
'The Bed and Breakfast Star is a great book!'.
I may be able to help, ex UK now Colorado.
There is a language issue here, Bed and Breakfast is being used here in the English sense. Not sure what the US equivalent could be, think seedy motels in a run down part of town.
In the US B&B has a much higher perception, UK can cover a wider spectrum. When I was a kid B&B's were where you stayed at at the Seaside because you could not afford a Hotel.

and again
There is a language issue here, Bed and Breakfast is being used here in the English sense. Not sure what the US equivalent could be, think seedy motels in a run down part of town.
In the US B&B has a much higher perception, UK can cover a wider spectrum. When I was a kid B&B's were where you stayed at at the Seaside because you could not afford a Hotel.
Which certainly explains the look of shock when UK walk ins hear our price.

and again
Madeleine said:
I get that too.
omg_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif

The appellation "B&B" in the UK strikes me as the same as a "boarding house" from a generation or three back. Not the same thing.

The appellation "B&B" in the UK strikes me as the same as a "boarding house" from a generation or three back. Not the same thing..
the thing is in the UK most B&B's won't take DSS ( people on benefits) and without special insurance you can't take people without an address ie homeless
Therefore only the places that are absolutely desperate will take them and usually without telling their insurance company.

Back