The Ultimate Guest Prod

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
We have all had one - the guest that are enjoying themselves so much the 'forget' what time it is!
Had a couple check in yesterday, seemed overjoyed when I showed them to their room. They had never stayed at a B&B before, first words out of their mouths were 'so glad the H was full'. They lounged around much of the afternoon and evening then headed into big city for late meal. Did not see them until I was just finishing clearing the breakfast table (15 minutes after breakfast time) but I served them anyway. They sat in there for close to an hour - breakfast dishes cleared, holding hands etc., then finally disapeared back to their room.
After cleaning the kitchen and guests had either checked out or left for the day and it dawned on me that everyone was gone except this couple and it was now 12:30 (check out is noon). So remembering a couple of threads on this topic I decide to go to their neighboring rooms and start cleaning - a little louder than normal and then started to vacuum. NOTHING!
So then I think of a nice way to remind them of check out and called their room - NO ANSWER! And it is now after 1PM
So now on to step three, and I go up to their room - before knocking I see the 'do not disturb' sign on the door - was not there when I was cleaning next door. So now I am getting really steamed. So I knocked, NOTHING, knocked some more, NOTHING, ok - extremely pissed now I BANG on the door. Then I get "yes?" through the door. Grrr 'This is a reminder that check out was at noon, and I need to prepare this room for an incoming guest.' "sorry we overslept, we will be out very soon."
So I go into the next room to start cleaning and about 10 minutes later what do I hear? Them starting the shower!!! So now I have to count to 5, (well 20 to be sure) and head back to the door. I knock on the door and he says they are getting ready. I proceed to say, well I charge $20 an hour for late departures and if you have not vacated the room by 1:30, I will charge you for each hour or portion of until you depart. I HATE being the meany and ending an otherwise fun weekend for anyone, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. No wonder hotels makes no bones about it, check out late and pay!!!

Did you go down and shut off the valve for the hot water...that makes people shower quicker too. ;)
Our Mantra: People are funny. (sometimes said through gritting teeth)

Did you go down and shut off the valve for the hot water...that makes people shower quicker too. ;)
Our Mantra: People are funny. (sometimes said through gritting teeth).
DH was being a little softer than me today for some reason, when I mentioned doing just that! Well that was until I said, if they don't leave by 2, YOU get to clean the room!!! Funny how he got on board quickly! Yep, people are funny.

DH was being a little softer than me today for some reason, when I mentioned doing just that! Well that was until I said, if they don't leave by 2, YOU get to clean the room!!! Funny how he got on board quickly! Yep, people are funny.
I'm so sorry this happened to you! This same scenario happened to me once and I was so mad I nearly called the cops. How awkward was it when they left? Did you have any contact with them?

I'm so sorry this happened to you! This same scenario happened to me once and I was so mad I nearly called the cops. How awkward was it when they left? Did you have any contact with them?
Since I played the bad guy, I stayed in the rooms cleaning and let DH handle their departure. I heard them all laughing at something - DH has a way to make light of things and it rubs off. Maybe the couple learned a lesson, just because we are small does not mean we do not have policies.

Back