The Ultimate Guide for B&B owners and innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only last point (actually thats a lie i will probably add more later) is what drives me mad is you hear this in conversations - Oh yes I was mad about SEO and then I dashed on to my meta-tags before doing some blogging though I am neglecting my tweets. I deal with small businesses every day and am helping a lot with social media marketing and web sites as they know this is something they should be doing but all the jargon terrifies them and they just shut down. A lot of people don't have much money in the marketing budget and as you know B&B people are time poor as well so want to make sure what they are spending is getting them the best return for their money. So maybe with some subjects do an idiots guide as well as a more advanced one. I am not saying you should treat people like idiots but for so many people and I get this every day with people who don't have web sites AT ALL! we can't afford it so we do nothing where as if they knew about the many cheap and free options they at least would have something. Now I know the more advanced among us will probably shoot me down on this but I think something is better than nothing, however they see the price charged by "so called professionals" for a decent web site and the number of cowboys out there and they are terrified. The going rate is $6000 plus round here and I know a particular couple who paid that 2 years ago and still have nothing. its a lot of money to shell out for nothing and believe me they are not alone and it scares the tarr out of people..
Boy! Can I see myself in your comments here! LOL I am one who does not know most of the short hand that people use online. They bring it from their texting on cell phones. Here in Northern NH, we have limited cell phone coverage snd none where I live. We use Wildblue Satellite Service for Web access. If I wanted training on computers, the closest place is 70 miles away. That is a long way to go for two week classes at 2-3 hours a night. I am sure that I am not alone in this. Also, Social Networking take time. One of the meetings I attended that had a Computer Consultant trying to sell us on using Facebook and sites like it, I asked how much time I would have to devote each day to touch base with Friends. After much hesitation, he admitted it would take up to "2 Hours"! I was working as a Photographer and needed to talk for a least 3-5 mins with each. The B&B scene is different so this may not be the case. Either way, I know that this is something that I will have to gain some knowledge of. POW has cell coverage which is a plus. How far I have to go for training is not yet known. Art

Not sure I would get more from the "ebook"........that I don't get here at Innspiring ?
Everything I could ever want to know regarding the B&B industry is right here

My only last point (actually thats a lie i will probably add more later) is what drives me mad is you hear this in conversations - Oh yes I was mad about SEO and then I dashed on to my meta-tags before doing some blogging though I am neglecting my tweets. I deal with small businesses every day and am helping a lot with social media marketing and web sites as they know this is something they should be doing but all the jargon terrifies them and they just shut down. A lot of people don't have much money in the marketing budget and as you know B&B people are time poor as well so want to make sure what they are spending is getting them the best return for their money. So maybe with some subjects do an idiots guide as well as a more advanced one. I am not saying you should treat people like idiots but for so many people and I get this every day with people who don't have web sites AT ALL! we can't afford it so we do nothing where as if they knew about the many cheap and free options they at least would have something. Now I know the more advanced among us will probably shoot me down on this but I think something is better than nothing, however they see the price charged by "so called professionals" for a decent web site and the number of cowboys out there and they are terrified. The going rate is $6000 plus round here and I know a particular couple who paid that 2 years ago and still have nothing. its a lot of money to shell out for nothing and believe me they are not alone and it scares the tarr out of people..
Boy! Can I see myself in your comments here! LOL I am one who does not know most of the short hand that people use online. They bring it from their texting on cell phones. Here in Northern NH, we have limited cell phone coverage snd none where I live. We use Wildblue Satellite Service for Web access. If I wanted training on computers, the closest place is 70 miles away. That is a long way to go for two week classes at 2-3 hours a night. I am sure that I am not alone in this. Also, Social Networking take time. One of the meetings I attended that had a Computer Consultant trying to sell us on using Facebook and sites like it, I asked how much time I would have to devote each day to touch base with Friends. After much hesitation, he admitted it would take up to "2 Hours"! I was working as a Photographer and needed to talk for a least 3-5 mins with each. The B&B scene is different so this may not be the case. Either way, I know that this is something that I will have to gain some knowledge of. POW has cell coverage which is a plus. How far I have to go for training is not yet known. Art
Its the language and attitude that really snarks me off if you actually explain it to people in a normal way they are totally capable of doing a very simple wordpress or blog based web site. (ie recon if you can shop online and send an email you can do this) but the web industry has shrouded itself in so much hype the more technophobic amongst us just run and hide. I learnt how to do things myself for this reason - when we took over here they had a 3 page web site which was about 6 years old and was incorrect in various ways (they had in fact taken it over from the previous owners to them!) for example it said we have a bar which we dont and various other things. I spent a great deal of time chasing the company who were supposed to maintain it and a great deal of time on hold. Eventually got hold of someone who told me they didn't even do this service anymore and hadn't for 2 years which may explain my inability to find anyone who knew anything about it. Was so angry and furious I decided that I would learn HTML if I ruddy had to so as not to be so inconveniced and at the mercy of idiots who wouldn't do as I told them. Luckily found it is a heck of a lot easier than that now and I have complete control and its cheap.Yes I could pay someone to make it amazing but I am happy with what I have.
Also as regards social networking 2 hours a day i think is excessive I probably do about 10 mins. I am working on a things to do in Harrogate fan page so am doing more than I usually do to get all the info on and I try to do a tweet a day when I can think of something interesting to say! what does help is my facebook and twitter are linked to my blackberry mobile phone (but am sure all smart phone do this) so I can do it when I am in line at the supermarket etc. I don't probably blog as much as I should and have a list of about 8 topics on my pad but I want to make sure its an article people will find and read.
And yes we do have cowboys but they are the unpleasant kind. The thing is most of them were weeded out about 10 years ago but a lot of people were burnt in the Oh you must have a web site gold rush that occured about then and so are very cautious and who can blame them? its all about recommendations and certainly not paying up front!

It's true - there are a lot of people who don't know they can do it themselves (if they have the patience!). I know you can set up a Wordpress blog with a fancy design for under $100 (actually your entire website can be a Wordpress solution for under $150/200), but I think people can be duped easily. I heard a story the other day about someone who received a call from someone trying to charge them $50 to set up Google alerts ($50 per alert!).
I have also seen people completely ripped off by these so called 'experts'. Sometimes you think that if you haven't done it before it's better to hire an 'expert' and then after you have spent a small fortune (obviously its relative) you realise that these experts aren't experts at all. We started our own website and know and understand the web and we have experienced this. It hurts! I wonder if when trying to get things going you need to set aside a 'rip off' budget! Chancers are a very common occurance in small business and in internet marketing. I also hear amazing stories - someone we know just helped a B&B owner treble their revenue just by giving her some website improvements. Yes, treble!!! He was charging $150, but he is one of those people who just wants to help small business owners succeed.
Take a look at these guys - http://southafricayoga.com/ (ok not a B&B, its a friend) but they were going to hire developers and we spoke to them about how not to, and this is what they did on their own with Wordpress! And no, they are not designers or developers.

It's true - there are a lot of people who don't know they can do it themselves (if they have the patience!). I know you can set up a Wordpress blog with a fancy design for under $100 (actually your entire website can be a Wordpress solution for under $150/200), but I think people can be duped easily. I heard a story the other day about someone who received a call from someone trying to charge them $50 to set up Google alerts ($50 per alert!).
I have also seen people completely ripped off by these so called 'experts'. Sometimes you think that if you haven't done it before it's better to hire an 'expert' and then after you have spent a small fortune (obviously its relative) you realise that these experts aren't experts at all. We started our own website and know and understand the web and we have experienced this. It hurts! I wonder if when trying to get things going you need to set aside a 'rip off' budget! Chancers are a very common occurance in small business and in internet marketing. I also hear amazing stories - someone we know just helped a B&B owner treble their revenue just by giving her some website improvements. Yes, treble!!! He was charging $150, but he is one of those people who just wants to help small business owners succeed.
Take a look at these guys - http://southafricayoga.com/ (ok not a B&B, its a friend) but they were going to hire developers and we spoke to them about how not to, and this is what they did on their own with Wordpress! And no, they are not designers or developers.
I think its a two pronged problem with the economy in the toilet its either
(1) - people are terrified and it overloads their natural caution when presented with so called "experts" they want to believe and end up ripped off.
(2) they bury their heads in the sand and do nothing. because A have no clue what to do or B they are very time poor and figure its too complicated and time consuming to do anything about.
I speak to small business every day and hit this all the time its all about teaching people what to look for and what questions to ask.

Not sure I would get more from the "ebook"........that I don't get here at Innspiring ?
Everything I could ever want to know regarding the B&B industry is right here.
One Day said:
The e-book lets you read at your own pace and not get caught up in the day to day kidding around and thread highjackings that go on around here. And, although there are the occasional links to spreadsheets and hard core behind the scenes accounting stuff that people need, it's not the strong point here. An e book would be good for that.
Otherwise, yeah, you can find it all here.

One Day said:
The e-book lets you read at your own pace and not get caught up in the day to day kidding around and thread highjackings that go on around here. And, although there are the occasional links to spreadsheets and hard core behind the scenes accounting stuff that people need, it's not the strong point here. An e book would be good for that.
Madeleine said:
One Day said:
I agree with you One Day, but here we are real people, and with people...personalities...we all have left and come back once or twice getting miffed off. Again, that SHOULD BE great training for those who say "We are a people person" but then can't even handle this pack of innkeepers/aspirings here. They don't have the safety zone, if they ask or interact. But this is what is should be all about, imo. You know that old saying about learning from a book, and how it just doesn't work.
Just as an aside, there have been at least half a dozen come to the forum to glean information to write a book (whether fiction or non).

Its the language and attitude that really snarks me off if you actually explain it to people in a normal way they are totally capable of doing a very simple wordpress or blog based web site. (ie recon if you can shop online and send an email you can do this) but the web industry has shrouded itself in so much hype the more technophobic amongst us just run and hide. I learnt how to do things myself for this reason - when we took over here they had a 3 page web site which was about 6 years old and was incorrect in various ways (they had in fact taken it over from the previous owners to them!) for example it said we have a bar which we dont and various other things. I spent a great deal of time chasing the company who were supposed to maintain it and a great deal of time on hold. Eventually got hold of someone who told me they didn't even do this service anymore and hadn't for 2 years which may explain my inability to find anyone who knew anything about it. Was so angry and furious I decided that I would learn HTML if I ruddy had to so as not to be so inconveniced and at the mercy of idiots who wouldn't do as I told them. Luckily found it is a heck of a lot easier than that now and I have complete control and its cheap.Yes I could pay someone to make it amazing but I am happy with what I have.
Also as regards social networking 2 hours a day i think is excessive I probably do about 10 mins. I am working on a things to do in Harrogate fan page so am doing more than I usually do to get all the info on and I try to do a tweet a day when I can think of something interesting to say! what does help is my facebook and twitter are linked to my blackberry mobile phone (but am sure all smart phone do this) so I can do it when I am in line at the supermarket etc. I don't probably blog as much as I should and have a list of about 8 topics on my pad but I want to make sure its an article people will find and read.
And yes we do have cowboys but they are the unpleasant kind. The thing is most of them were weeded out about 10 years ago but a lot of people were burnt in the Oh you must have a web site gold rush that occured about then and so are very cautious and who can blame them? its all about recommendations and certainly not paying up front!
I think a lot of my problem and those of my generation, is that we lack the basic knowledge of computers that is now taught in grammar school. Calculators came out about my seventh grade. They were not allowed in school as it was considered cheating to use them. When the youth of today reach the seventh grade, they are already well versed in all the terms and vocabulary of the electronic age, and, assume every one else is also. So, when they make up a video, book, of class instruction, they jump over that basic stuff. They know a Browser does more than just cover up the top of the screen. They know what Wordpress is and how to use it. I still use a phone to talk on! I answer E-mail! The younger group of today do neither. They Text and Twitter. I have left many messages for my brother that go unanswered. They never look at their E-Mail. The class instruction I have had was before I had a computer to practice on. That came 2 years later, and, I had lost much of what I learned. Plus, I had to learn on a new operating system, windows 98. I now have Vista and do not look forward to having to start again on Windows 7 or 8. If I took a course today on Windows 7, they would assume that I already knew all there was to learn about Vista,and, that they just had to teach about the new stuff. I am sure I would get a lot of dirty looks from the rest of the students for holding them back with my dumb questions. I have seen that happen to others. So I wii continue my Peck & Search and stumble my way along. Please excuse my blank look when you give a simple answer to my Dumb Question. It is not that I and others can not learn. We just have a lot of holes in what we do know. And, I have pushed " That Button " and fatally crashed my computer and lost years of photos! Call me gun shy now! LOL Art

One Day said:
Madeleine said:
One Day said:
I agree with you One Day, but here we are real people, and with people...personalities...we all have left and come back once or twice getting miffed off. Again, that SHOULD BE great training for those who say "We are a people person" but then can't even handle this pack of innkeepers/aspirings here. They don't have the safety zone, if they ask or interact. But this is what is should be all about, imo. You know that old saying about learning from a book, and how it just doesn't work.
Just as an aside, there have been at least half a dozen come to the forum to glean information to write a book (whether fiction or non).
Joey Bloggs said:
Again, that SHOULD BE great training for those who say "We are a people person" but then can't even handle this pack of innkeepers/aspirings here. They don't have the safety zone, if they ask or interact.
That is perfect. 'People people' who don't get that their guests are going to be like the 'people' here.

I think a lot of my problem and those of my generation, is that we lack the basic knowledge of computers that is now taught in grammar school. Calculators came out about my seventh grade. They were not allowed in school as it was considered cheating to use them. When the youth of today reach the seventh grade, they are already well versed in all the terms and vocabulary of the electronic age, and, assume every one else is also. So, when they make up a video, book, of class instruction, they jump over that basic stuff. They know a Browser does more than just cover up the top of the screen. They know what Wordpress is and how to use it. I still use a phone to talk on! I answer E-mail! The younger group of today do neither. They Text and Twitter. I have left many messages for my brother that go unanswered. They never look at their E-Mail. The class instruction I have had was before I had a computer to practice on. That came 2 years later, and, I had lost much of what I learned. Plus, I had to learn on a new operating system, windows 98. I now have Vista and do not look forward to having to start again on Windows 7 or 8. If I took a course today on Windows 7, they would assume that I already knew all there was to learn about Vista,and, that they just had to teach about the new stuff. I am sure I would get a lot of dirty looks from the rest of the students for holding them back with my dumb questions. I have seen that happen to others. So I wii continue my Peck & Search and stumble my way along. Please excuse my blank look when you give a simple answer to my Dumb Question. It is not that I and others can not learn. We just have a lot of holes in what we do know. And, I have pushed " That Button " and fatally crashed my computer and lost years of photos! Call me gun shy now! LOL Art
this is my point! you are not alone its all about pitching to the right level and being aware that some people have limited knowledge and not acting like they are bonkers for not knowing.

this is my point! you are not alone its all about pitching to the right level and being aware that some people have limited knowledge and not acting like they are bonkers for not knowing.
In other words, too basic. Beginner - starting out the process or more advanced. What we know and say here is "beyond advanced" when newbies happen upon this forum they run away screaming like little girls...

In other words, too basic. Beginner - starting out the process or more advanced. What we know and say here is "beyond advanced" when newbies happen upon this forum they run away screaming like little girls...
As it comes to computers, I liken myself to someone who knows how to find his way thru a busy city to get to a friends house. But, I end up getting there in a round about way when if I had known about a few short cuts, it would have taken less time and effort ! Art

Hence two books! LOL one looking/starting and one on running?
Too many people and I am certain everyone on here will agree with me say "oh it can't be that difficult you just do breakfast and make a few beds and thats it" drive me mad!!!! and this is an attutude that is prevelant amongst the new starters as well they see this as an easy option or a possible redundancy choice. They have to understand that to make it and do well there is a heck of a lot more to it.

Too many people and I am certain everyone on here will agree with me say "oh it can't be that difficult you just do breakfast and make a few beds and thats it" drive me mad!!!! and this is an attutude that is prevelant amongst the new starters as well they see this as an easy option or a possible redundancy choice. They have to understand that to make it and do well there is a heck of a lot more to it.
They are the same people who think that "House Wifes" have it easy. Get Hubby & The Kids out the door in the morning and then lounge around eating Bon Bons and watching the Soaps. Right? Art

As it comes to computers, I liken myself to someone who knows how to find his way thru a busy city to get to a friends house. But, I end up getting there in a round about way when if I had known about a few short cuts, it would have taken less time and effort ! Art
Don't feel badly. I was a programmer in the way, way back time machine using a computer language today's programmers never heard of - I am talking PRE-Cobol. I know enough to be dangerous which is more frightening that knowing nothing because I KNOW what havoc I can cause with the twitch of a finger. In today's world, I am an almost total non-techie.
When I was in high school they were still using slide rules.....

They are the same people who think that "House Wifes" have it easy. Get Hubby & The Kids out the door in the morning and then lounge around eating Bon Bons and watching the Soaps. Right? Art
Hollowwood said:
"House Wifes"
We prefer the terms "homemaker" or "domestic goddess" ;)

Don't feel badly. I was a programmer in the way, way back time machine using a computer language today's programmers never heard of - I am talking PRE-Cobol. I know enough to be dangerous which is more frightening that knowing nothing because I KNOW what havoc I can cause with the twitch of a finger. In today's world, I am an almost total non-techie.
A long time ago,I bought a Radio Shack Color Computer with a dedicated cassett recorder for storage and uploads. I did the pain staking upload from a magazine for a game called "Pong". It was done in Basic Programing Code. I soon discovered that all that typing was not for me. One mistake meant going back over all your input to find that typo! No Thanks!! LOL I sure wish that I had hung onto it. A good collector peice. It was many years before I got back into computers. Art

A long time ago,I bought a Radio Shack Color Computer with a dedicated cassett recorder for storage and uploads. I did the pain staking upload from a magazine for a game called "Pong". It was done in Basic Programing Code. I soon discovered that all that typing was not for me. One mistake meant going back over all your input to find that typo! No Thanks!! LOL I sure wish that I had hung onto it. A good collector peice. It was many years before I got back into computers. Art
Hollowwood said:
Why are writing everything in boldface?

Hollowwood said:
I am using boldface because I have been told it is easier to read than trying to read it this way. On small screens or in bright light, this is much easier on my old eyes than this. So I agree. What say you? Art

Hollowwood said:
I am using boldface because I have been told it is easier to read than trying to read it this way. On small screens or in bright light, this is much easier on my old eyes than this. So I agree. What say you? Art
Hollowwood said:
"I say" you are the only one using boldface, and boldface is for shouting or emphasing. Try this CTRL + that will increase the font size on your screen. What needs to happen is for old eyes to set THEIR OWN browser for their own eyes, not for everyone elses. Please, pretty please, thank you so much.
We also break up paragraphs so it is easier to read, one giant paragraph will get skimmed or not read at all. We have a couple who do that here and they know we don't read it if they don't break it up a bit. :) CHEERS.

Back