The Unexpected

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
What do you do when guests who tell you the day before they are not having breakfast the following morning show up at the breakfast table after all. How do you feed 12 people when you only prepped for 8?

"You told me you were not having breakfast I only prepared enough for 8. I can give you some scrambled eggs and toast if you wish." Or a bowl of cereal.
Gheez what are these people thinking. Can you give them some fruit?

If it not possible to 'extend' the 8 servings to 12 by the addition of some 'extras' like maybe scrambled eggs on the side or toast or muffins, then exactly what CL said, 'I can offer you (whatever) but I only prepped enough of the main course for the guests who said they would be dining.'
OTOH, we stayed at a place that has a 'you snooze, you lose' policy. They make enough brekkie for 80% of the guests. Everyone else gets scrambled eggs. (They have a large 'skip brekkie' population.)

I think at this point i would never believe anyone that they didn't plan to eat breakfast. People change their (*&&^%% minds all the time.
RIki

Mind I had a laugh yesterday as I took in three 18 year olds and they shared 1 room I felt a bit sorry for them as it is a 3 day weekend here and most places are booked an or took one look and became misteriously full. They weren't any trouble and were well behaved the two girls came down for breakfast in pygamas and when I asked when the lad was comming they said they thought they had only paid for 2 breakfasts so he had gone to macdonalds I felt awful! I was a bit nervous of them but they were fine. Same happened with two girls on friday was a bit nervous and they were lovely so it pays to take a risk some times. However I have been burnt before so it doesn't always work out. They had been looking for a room for 3 hours and I am a soft touch LOL.

Mind I had a laugh yesterday as I took in three 18 year olds and they shared 1 room I felt a bit sorry for them as it is a 3 day weekend here and most places are booked an or took one look and became misteriously full. They weren't any trouble and were well behaved the two girls came down for breakfast in pygamas and when I asked when the lad was comming they said they thought they had only paid for 2 breakfasts so he had gone to macdonalds I felt awful! I was a bit nervous of them but they were fine. Same happened with two girls on friday was a bit nervous and they were lovely so it pays to take a risk some times. However I have been burnt before so it doesn't always work out. They had been looking for a room for 3 hours and I am a soft touch LOL..
We had a 'kid' here a few weeks ago. Did not know HOW young she was until I read the note she wrote in our guest book. 18. Not the usual age I like to have here because I don't know how responsible they will be about bringing 'friends' back with them. And I didn't have HER cc, just her mother's. And she didn't check in and sign anything because she didn't get here until we were asleep.

i always made more than enough because that happened A LOT. weather would change, a storm would blow in, and i'd have a full house all day.
i'd stretch what i could, add sides, and depending on attitude of said guests .. might mention it to them ... but only if i thought they needed a little scold because that's what you'd be doing by mentioning it.
ps ... about leftovers ... by making more than i thought i'd need, folks could take seconds and often did. and i'd offer it to the 1 or 2 chambermaids to heat and eat at lunch break or take home because they were struggling.

This is what ended up happening. I held breakfast for 20 minites hoping that they would up and leave. That didn't happen. Then wife had the good timing to intercept me in the pantry realizing what was happening. She said they were just socializing and to go ahead and serve.
So I did. It was a little weird to have them sitting there with just coffee while everyone else ate. No one really seemed to mind, but me. Go figure. There is just no explaining people.

This is what ended up happening. I held breakfast for 20 minites hoping that they would up and leave. That didn't happen. Then wife had the good timing to intercept me in the pantry realizing what was happening. She said they were just socializing and to go ahead and serve.
So I did. It was a little weird to have them sitting there with just coffee while everyone else ate. No one really seemed to mind, but me. Go figure. There is just no explaining people..
Whew!
I guess it's a good thing to add to our many queries the one about whether guests are 'headed out soon?' to find out what their plans are.
But, if someone were sitting down at the table, I would expect they planned to eat.
This past weekend I tried to put into play the 'no holding tables' rule but the woman would not budge. She kept saying, 'He's coming. He was just here sitting down, you must have seen him.' Ah, no, that was an hour ago.
Other guests hurriedly finished up their brekkie as they could see a line was forming, but this woman was hanging on to the table for dear life.

So I did. It was a little weird to have them sitting there with just coffee while everyone else ate. No one really seemed to mind, but me. Go figure. There is just no explaining people..
Whew!
I guess it's a good thing to add to our many queries the one about whether guests are 'headed out soon?' to find out what their plans are.
But, if someone were sitting down at the table, I would expect they planned to eat.
This past weekend I tried to put into play the 'no holding tables' rule but the woman would not budge. She kept saying, 'He's coming. He was just here sitting down, you must have seen him.' Ah, no, that was an hour ago.
Other guests hurriedly finished up their brekkie as they could see a line was forming, but this woman was hanging on to the table for dear life.
Morticia wrote: This past weekend I tried to put into play the 'no holding tables' rule but the woman would not budge. She kept saying, 'He's coming. He was just here sitting down, you must have seen him.' Ah, no, that was an hour ago.
That only shows her disregard for any others, and I am sure the others all blamed her, not you for the problem. Those are the ones you want to tell 'next time go to a hotel, you are not B&B people'.

Whew!
Morticia wrote: This past weekend I tried to put into play the 'no holding tables' rule but the woman would not budge. She kept saying, 'He's coming. He was just here sitting down, you must have seen him.' Ah, no, that was an hour ago.
That only shows her disregard for any others, and I am sure the others all blamed her, not you for the problem. Those are the ones you want to tell 'next time go to a hotel, you are not B&B people'.
copperhead said:
Oddly enough, that's where she 'usually' stays...a hotel!

Whew!
copperhead said:
Morticia said:
copperhead said:
Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that people do test the "Better Way to Stay". And for many, I think they will find it just that! But some just can't even force themselves to think of anyone other than themselves, show common courtesies that until a few years ago were common, not an exception to the rule. By what you wrote, it seems as everyone else could see the need for tables and hurried along so they could make room for the next round.

Whew!
Was she taking up a 4 person table? Had a great thing happen when I was in Dallas - My son & I were in a very crowded place and were waiting for a table. A lady invited us to join her. Turned out to be a really interesting lunch conversation with her. People here in the States don't seem to do that very often whereas people in the UK will join others already at a table in tea rooms and lunch places.

Whew!
Was she taking up a 4 person table? Had a great thing happen when I was in Dallas - My son & I were in a very crowded place and were waiting for a table. A lady invited us to join her. Turned out to be a really interesting lunch conversation with her. People here in the States don't seem to do that very often whereas people in the UK will join others already at a table in tea rooms and lunch places.
2-top or I would have directed the incoming guests to sit with her.
I've also noticed that most guests spread out so there is no room for other guests at a 4-top. They use the other silverware, put their dirty stuff on the other napkins, essentially they 'mark their territory'!
Incoming guests will only sit if the guests invite them, not because I offer the seats to them. As much as I would love to eat alone in the morning, if I came into a place with only 2 seats left sitting with someone else, I'd head right over there!

Using some of our new food photos and some fancy type etc., I put the following on the very first page of our room binder. It has worked wonders:
Breakfast at XXX B&B
Breakfast is served each morning at 8:30 a.m. in the main house.
Please let us know the night before if you are not partaking.
Start your day at XXX B&B with a complimentary full breakfast! It's "Cook's Choice" and something special is featured each morning: Pecan-Blueberry Pancakes made with local blueberries and served with hot buttered syrup. At other times you might find a delicious quiche or a typical country breakfast of scrambled eggs, country ham, hash browns with biscuits and gravy. Breakfast is always served with fresh hot coffee and seasonal fruit.
Need an early start? No problem! For early risers we've provided a selection of teas and coffee in your room. If you requested it when you made your reservation, a Continental Breakfast has been provided for you and can be found in the mini-fridge. 

One thing is for sure, you won’t leave here hungry!

Using some of our new food photos and some fancy type etc., I put the following on the very first page of our room binder. It has worked wonders:
Breakfast at XXX B&B
Breakfast is served each morning at 8:30 a.m. in the main house.
Please let us know the night before if you are not partaking.
Start your day at XXX B&B with a complimentary full breakfast! It's "Cook's Choice" and something special is featured each morning: Pecan-Blueberry Pancakes made with local blueberries and served with hot buttered syrup. At other times you might find a delicious quiche or a typical country breakfast of scrambled eggs, country ham, hash browns with biscuits and gravy. Breakfast is always served with fresh hot coffee and seasonal fruit.
Need an early start? No problem! For early risers we've provided a selection of teas and coffee in your room. If you requested it when you made your reservation, a Continental Breakfast has been provided for you and can be found in the mini-fridge. 

One thing is for sure, you won’t leave here hungry!.
I have just put a similar thing in mine with the breakfast times in BIG print and if you need special diet stuff we need to know at the latest the night before to do anything about it. It has led to the reduction in people asking daft questions.

Back