The walk in dickerers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
Just over two weeks of glorious operation since the remodel and things have been just peachy. So Saturday night we have our first walk up. A couple, realtors, moaning about how bad business has been, it's a long way home, can we give them a deal, how about no breakfast, and on and on, so I cut them a deal. Then they tell us they have just come from a "free" week in Taos.........free in Taos is an expensive week any way you look at it. And they made the biggest mess, tracked in mud all the way up 3 flights of stairs......no more deals from me. If they want to dicker I'll send them to the used car lots and if we are above their "budget" there are some lovely motels just down the way....
We are already priced very economically, does anybody build in some dicker overage in your prices or do you stand firm?
r

You have learned what we all hold to be true. Those who demand the most discount are always the worst guests!
You will have to get all that sorted out if you are in a WALK UP location for bookings. "Two in the hand is better than one in the bush" but not if you have to pay to dry clean your carpet!

We are in a prime 'walk-in' location. I hate sob stories. The best I can do for a walk-in is $10 off or an upgrade. And I know all the cheap places I can send them...usually stating it thus, 'Ah, the price is too much? I totally understand. Let me tell you where you can get a better deal.'
OTOH, I know almost EXACTLY how you are feeling in re your new remodel...the FIRST guests who walked in the door after we remodeled our dining room/kitchen threw their dirty suitcases on the fully laid out dining room table. They tracked mud and salt and grit across the brand new floors. I had to get over that very quickly. (Altho, had a bridal couple here yesterday and they asked if they should take their shoes off to look at rooms they wanted to book for the summer. I said, 'Normally I would say that's not necessary, but we JUST replaced all the carpet, so if you would...' They did.)

it happens ... to most everyone i think ... you are persuaded to give someone a 'deal' and then have regrets. or you book a room for more people than you normally would and have regrets. or you allow a late check in or late check out and have regrets.
you have to brush away those regrets!
you did what felt right at the time.
for someone to track lots of mud in is just plain rude ... surprising that realtors wouldn't just slip out of their shoes so as not to do this. in future, if i noticed muddy shoes, i'd say 'oh ... your shoes are very muddy ... let's leave them here please' and be very, very firm. is it possible they were too tired and oblivious?

It was the dry mud in their boot treads that just falls out with every step......
Which brings up another question I should maybe ask in another thread but what is a good vacuum for stairs? We have 30 carpeted steps.

It was the dry mud in their boot treads that just falls out with every step......
Which brings up another question I should maybe ask in another thread but what is a good vacuum for stairs? We have 30 carpeted steps..
I have a DustBuster. It's old but it works.

For the dickerers who are just shopping by price, my answer is "let me give you the phone number for the motel on the highway".
devil_smile.gif

If they are asking for the deal - sorry, no deal. I only deal if they are not going to get what I consider my full service - as in the horse people coming while I am out of town. (or if I am in a generous mood).

No we don't dicker. They are always the ones that take all the cookies and treats and leave the biggest mess. They don't appreciate all that B&Bs do.
If someone is coming from or going to a hardship post like Iraq we do a suprise discount, that is it.
You will find those dickerers are not worth the work.
Riki

No we don't dicker. They are always the ones that take all the cookies and treats and leave the biggest mess. They don't appreciate all that B&Bs do.
If someone is coming from or going to a hardship post like Iraq we do a suprise discount, that is it.
Riki.
Here is the directory with several good choices in your price category. We really understand. There have been times when we have had to watch our budget too. Best wishes, perhaps we'll see another time.

Riki.
Here is the directory with several good choices in your price category. We really understand. There have been times when we have had to watch our budget too. Best wishes, perhaps we'll see another time.
knkbnb said:
I need to get your excellent reply in my head. I have been thinking - would you like me to turn off the heat and water, take out the bed, toilet paper and towels to reduce the price....

Riki.
knkbnb said:
I need to get your excellent reply in my head. I have been thinking - would you like me to turn off the heat and water, take out the bed, toilet paper and towels to reduce the price....
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
Better to stick with knkbnb's response! Sarcasm ALWAYS backfires (I know you were being tongue-in-cheek). I have had walk-in's at 9 PM say they will only be staying a 'few' hours so can I just charge them half? (Not THAT sort of walk-in, but someone on the road who is just tired but needs to be somewhere very early.)
The guests feel they are not getting the full experience so they shouldn't be charged the full price. I look at it that I have to PROVIDE the full experience whether they take advantage of all of it or not. They WILL use the beds (10 minutes, 10 hours, makes no difference to the health dept!), they WILL use the water, etc.

Riki.
knkbnb said:
Nice - I think I need to print this and keep it in a spot I will remember. I do not get many walk-ups where I am but with the GPS systems becoming more popular, I just may.
As for the realtors, wonder how many places they have and will use a 'poor pitiful me' line to get a discount. If they are traveling on vacation, they aren't that bad off! Best plan is to have your prices set, if you want to discount last minute availability, have a price and stick with it. The best scam artists have the best and most convincing stories. No dickering...you are the one that will be s
potty-mouth.gif
d.

Back