The Warning Signs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never meant to indicate that I thought Virginia Creeper was poisonous. We only have the picture of the Virginia Creeper so guests can tell the difference between it and poison ivy. We seem have some guests who are afraid of everything and were scared to death of the Virginia Creeper that envelopes many of our trees..
Proud Texan said...
"I never meant to indicate that I thought Virginia Creeper was poisonous..."
Yes, I was guessing that. Just showing them the difference. Nobody around here considers it poisonous. Maybe what we have is the gentle West Virginia Creeper :)
Off subject, but the geologists have studied out Ozark Mountains and determined that they used to be joined with the mountains of West Virginia until plate shifting mixed things around. So we consider West Virginians and their flora and fauna to be our hillbilly-to-hillbilly cousins.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said...
Yes, I was guessing that. Just showing them the difference. Nobody around here considers it poisonous. Maybe what we have is the gentle West Virginia Creeper :)
Off subject, but the geologists have studied out Ozark Mountains and determined that they used to be joined with the mountains of West Virginia until plate shifting mixed things around. So we consider West Virginians and their flora and fauna to be our hillbilly-to-hillbilly cousins.
Everybody's related somehow or another, eh ;)

OK...and then we'd have to warn them if they stick their fingers in a light socket they'll get a shock.
Common sense is not so common.

I never meant to indicate that I thought Virginia Creeper was poisonous. We only have the picture of the Virginia Creeper so guests can tell the difference between it and poison ivy. We seem have some guests who are afraid of everything and were scared to death of the Virginia Creeper that envelopes many of our trees..
Proud Texan said...
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said...
Yes, for the most part we get the same treatment from the Media - their preconceived notions of our States are no limbs on the family trees.

Since we're in the woods, I have pictures of poison ivy and Virginia Creeper along with descriptions in our room binders. I also warn them about all the critters they could have a chance encounter with..
Proud Texan said:
Since we're in the woods, I have pictures of poison ivy and Virginia Creeper along with descriptions in our room binders. I also warn them about all the critters they could have a chance encounter with.
Why include Virginia Creeper? Just to show them that it's not poison ivy? The confusion sure happens. My sister killed a huge, beautiful old Virginia Creeper vine at her house because she thought it was poison.
I've often wondered about this sort of thing. Everybody around here knows what's safe and unsafe to touch and eat, and we don't give much thought to the poison ivy and our little brown recluse spiders and copperheads. But city folk, and foreigners, are like innocent babes and they probably should be given a little written survival primer for here in the Arkansas outback.
On the other hand, of course, we don't want to scare the city folk off. We enjoy studying them.
Yes....just to show them the difference.
Mtatoc said:
or you can just sing the song we all know...
"Leaves of three let it be!"
(And let it be know we also have poisonous sumac here, they have leaflets of 7 or more...so the song only applies to Poison Ivy really)
wink_smile.gif

Here is what I say "STAY ON THE TRAIL!"
Here is an action shot, we warned her! To stop herself she charged off the trail into the bush...you can imagine the rest of the story - it only took a few hours before she was red and welty all over...then covered in caladryl.
Skating_With%20Dog_Claytor%20Lake%20State%20Park.jpg

Joey Bloggs said:
Mtatoc said:
or you can just sing the song we all know...
"Leaves of three let it be!"
(And let it be know we also have poisonous sumac here, they have leaflets of 7 or more...so the song only applies to Poison Ivy really)
wink_smile.gif

Here is what I say "STAY ON THE TRAIL!"
Here is an action shot, we warned her! To stop herself she charged off the trail into the bush...you can imagine the rest of the story - it only took a few hours before she was red and welty all over...then covered in caladryl.
Caladryl and calomine do nothing for my. I have found a clear stuff, an anti-itch gel that works for me. It is by Johnson & Johnson. IF it is working, it stings as you put it on - such a RELIEF from the itch! The sting is momentary. It works for me and I have had itch as a reation to most allergies since I was an infant according to my Mother.
Mine gets so bad that only prescription topical steroid works.

Back