The worst not guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The worst guest that wasn't
Well starting out a new year with a bang. I just told our guests who arrived and were about to check in to go to a holiday inn. My cheeks must be beet-red right now.
angry_smile.gif

In a nutshell they arrived and he called from our parking area and was YELLING AT ME ON THE PHONE. The entire conversation was yelling (I get hard of hearing, I get Italian talk-loud and animated, I get all of that, he was not those, he was YELLING at me - whoever answered the phone.)
I was super nice, telling him "Sir, if you can just come to the front door..." He was determined that he would NOT go to the front door, he was going to come in the back in through our kitchen.
I explained to him that the back is TOTAL SHADE from the house and icy and snow covered. He, yelling at me further said "Why the hell is it not cleared!"
(Because it is rock and it is not a guest entrance. DH came home from work MIDDAY to de-ice and scrape the path and entire guest area so it would be clear and not dangerous for you, SPENT HIS LUNCH HOUR HERE OUTSIDE doing this for THIS RUDE GUEST!)
I was so nice. Then it hit me as he continued to berate and yell <insert my thought bubble here> WHY THE HECK AM I ALLOWING THIS RUDE SOB TO STAY IN MY HOME!? Why I am trying to be so nice when he is a total TERD!!!
So I said to him "Sir, I think it is best if you stayed at the holiday inn where there are no stairs, all ground floor rooms."
WHAT! He continued... I said "Your reservation is no longer valid. You may not stay here. Good bye." click.
I then went up and took away the flowers from beside their bed and turned the heat back down after boosting it 2 degrees all flippin' day for these guests so they would be comfortable.
pita.gif

PS as you know I know about stepfords, I know about old geezers, I know about the strain and stress of driving. Just want to be clear this man was a purely rotten guest and I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT WELCOME HIM INTO MY HOME! THE BUCK STOPS HERE. Be rude and you will NOT get your way.
pita.gif

Kudos Joey! It's your home, for Pete's sake! You have every right to refuse anyone service.

WOO HOO! Good on ya! What a jerk. Have a nice stay at the crappy motel, you deserve it.
Sorry, in general I am feeling that winter guests are just NOT WORTH IT. They are all on the cheap, and here at least just bizarre. I'd rather keep the heat and the lights OFF and enjoy the house to ourselves.

WOO HOO! Good on ya! What a jerk. Have a nice stay at the crappy motel, you deserve it.
Sorry, in general I am feeling that winter guests are just NOT WORTH IT. They are all on the cheap, and here at least just bizarre. I'd rather keep the heat and the lights OFF and enjoy the house to ourselves..
Don Draper said:
Sorry, in general I am feeling that winter guests are just NOT WORTH IT. They are all on the cheap, and here at least just bizarre. I'd rather keep the heat and the lights OFF and enjoy the house to ourselves.
I was thinking the same thing myself. WINTER!
Funny I said to DH when he got home, Ya know last year we implemented the rule "You must check in on the DAY YOU RESERVED" and now this year the rule is going to be "If you cannot even make it to the front door then you cannot make it to your room" and that can apply to drunkenness, old decrepitness or whatever. This house is OVER 100 years old, no you cannot drive your flippin' car to your room awready! :)

Yeah, good. It happens, rarely, thanks to all.
Had a guest show up here and got out of his car with a major sour expression. "This isn't what I wanted", he said. I thought, "me too".
I said you will be happier somewhere else and quickly booked him a room at another place.
All said, we - all innkeepers - really do this for the people who come here. Of course we need the money to live, and to keep the doors open, but as a financial investment, there are a lot of better ways to spend the time and money if there was not the fundamental desire to offer hospitality.
Hospitality, however, is a two-way street: gracious host <-> appreciative guest. Break that social bond and be damned.

I would have done the same plus I would have said there is no way you are walking though my kitchen!

I can only HOPE I would have done the same thing.
pita.gif
Life is way to short to be treated like that.

DH said he is always surprised at the lengths I go to to placate and make the guests happy when they deserve a swift quick in the back side.
Last night, as y'all can imagine, I lay in bed watching telly and rethinking it all. I was so happy I was not lying in bed regretting that I had allowed this tosser to stay in my home. I told DH this is where I am now, I do not want to regret having people walk all over us. Year one we allowed much more than we do now, all of us, as a group, we can agree on this. Live and learn, I guess the saying goes.
It is humorous to me now, thinking of this arrogant sob thinking he can talk to someone in this manner and get his way. You know how one of the forum innmates always quotes "BE NICE TO THE PERSON COOKING YOUR FOOD!" I am supposed to welcome YOU INTO MY HOME after that? Uh don't think so. So today I feel fine, not angry or bothered, using the old strategy of saying "SIR" to begin each sentence left the disrespect totally on his shoulders and off they went to a motel.

I was once given a little sign "Be nice or go away". Sounds like you need one too. Glad you sent him off. People like that need to be told "where to go"
wink_smile.gif

I was once given a little sign "Be nice or go away". Sounds like you need one too. Glad you sent him off. People like that need to be told "where to go"
wink_smile.gif
white pine said:
wink_smile.gif
We found this sign in the check-in desk here: Don't feel you have to talk about yourself, we'll do that after you're gone.

I'm so sorry that you had that happen to you.
sad_smile.gif
Good for you for NOT letting this rude person stay in your home!
I admire you greatly. It seems when people are so incredibly rude to me like what happened to you, I am so shocked and dumbfounded that I become speechless. How can people let all that viciousness spew forth? As nice people, we just don't get it when all that vile stuff comes at us.
So, keep up the good work for this year! You should not have to put up with such rudeness for any reason!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

If you had checked them in you would have spent their entire stay regretting that you had NOT told them not to stay, so you did the right thing

I'm so sorry that you had that happen to you.
sad_smile.gif
Good for you for NOT letting this rude person stay in your home!
I admire you greatly. It seems when people are so incredibly rude to me like what happened to you, I am so shocked and dumbfounded that I become speechless. How can people let all that viciousness spew forth? As nice people, we just don't get it when all that vile stuff comes at us.
So, keep up the good work for this year! You should not have to put up with such rudeness for any reason!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.
so, rephrasing your signature,
Reacting to one legitimate moment of anger will alert you to an opportunity to escape 100 days of regret for letting someone walk all over you.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! You do not deserve to be treated with such disrespect. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!! HURRAY!

Congratulations! You eliminated that jerk from your life and were probably one of the few people in his life that didn't tolerate his behavior. Hopefully he'll never make another reservation at a b&b again!

Back