The Year of Me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Last year it was The Year of Simple Innkeeping. How'd that turn out for you anyway?
This year it is The Year of Me. The year I take care of myself. Lose a few pounds, get a bit more flexible (physically as well as emotionally), make the time to finish my book, just basically look out for me so I can look out for others. The year I take seriously the idea that I'm no longer immortal (took me a bit of time to get over that teenage phase) and start getting some real exercise in. The year I take my health seriously and no longer assume I'll 'always' be healthy.
Take time for me so I can be gracious with my time with others. Cut myself some slack so I can do the same with others. Learn to let go of 'stuff,' any kind of stuff- tangible goods, emotional baggage, grudges.
How about it? If you've always said 'someday' you'd do 'something' for yourself, how about this year? Start off with this article that just fell into my hands at the right moment! Stop waiting for the 'perfect' moment and just learn to live now.
And if you've always been good to yourself- good for you! Maybe I can take lessons.

Hey, that's what I told YOU!! lol! Definitely, this is The Year of Me! For many, many reasons.....
Here's to us actually doing it!

Hey, that's what I told YOU!! lol! Definitely, this is The Year of Me! For many, many reasons.....
Here's to us actually doing it!.
Yeah, I waited for you to post it and then decided, what the heck, I'll do it myself...being the year of me and all.
wink_smile.gif

I won't do it, I already know I won't. It is like a NY's rez I won't even dare to suggest for myself. I have a lot of things to think about and don't want to get too heavy. I would like a lighter year next year if possible - carrying the load better, so to speak.

I loved this article! I am going to open that "special"bottle of bubble bath, pour that "special" glass of wine (in the fancy crystal of course), light that fancy candle !
I am even guilty of holding on to "special" things for so long that they have gone bad.
Thank you for showing us how to make every day a special day.

Great article!
And I'm totally in on the Year of Me... I started last summer by taking at least Monday afternoons (if not the entire day) off, and will definitely continue.
When dh was 21 he graduated with a 2-year degree in Ohio. I visited him, then invited him to Maryland for a week. By the end of the week he'd decided to stay for the summer. His parents said, "but this is the year we were going to spend time with you!" Hello? He's 21? If you were going to take him to Cedar Point it should have been years before! (You can imagine their shock when we married on Labor Day weekend and he was gone for good!)
My kids will only be each age once, and by golly I will enjoy them at each stage of their lives!
Side note... interesting that the longer off the exp date of GC's, the less likely to be redeemed. An innkeeper told me last week that Ohio's got a 2 year min. on GC's but federal law kicks in this summer that they must be 5 years before they expire. Except for the added risk of selling while you have outstanding GC's (she keeps a separate account for GC and deposit funds) it seems to me that we could end up with more GC's that aren't redeemed. 'Course, we don't find out for five years...
=)
Kk.

Great article!
And I'm totally in on the Year of Me... I started last summer by taking at least Monday afternoons (if not the entire day) off, and will definitely continue.
When dh was 21 he graduated with a 2-year degree in Ohio. I visited him, then invited him to Maryland for a week. By the end of the week he'd decided to stay for the summer. His parents said, "but this is the year we were going to spend time with you!" Hello? He's 21? If you were going to take him to Cedar Point it should have been years before! (You can imagine their shock when we married on Labor Day weekend and he was gone for good!)
My kids will only be each age once, and by golly I will enjoy them at each stage of their lives!
Side note... interesting that the longer off the exp date of GC's, the less likely to be redeemed. An innkeeper told me last week that Ohio's got a 2 year min. on GC's but federal law kicks in this summer that they must be 5 years before they expire. Except for the added risk of selling while you have outstanding GC's (she keeps a separate account for GC and deposit funds) it seems to me that we could end up with more GC's that aren't redeemed. 'Course, we don't find out for five years...
=)
Kk..
I'm including a side note in my email to guests that THIS is the year to redeem those GC (here) that they got years ago. I'm thinking of adding a line that if their GC is so old that the rooms prices have gone up to the point the GC won't cover their stay, we'll meet them up to $25 toward the price of the room.
At least get them off the books. We have no expiration date here. But the funds have to be turned into the state after a certain point IF you can't track the holder of the GC. When the big box stores laughed at that last year I figured if the state goes after anyone for the money it will be the little guy like me.

Back