The Year of Simple Innkeeping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I had my first WiFi user. She could not get on the system. It wanted a logon domain and since my son & computer guy set everything up, I had no clue. At 8PM Friday, neither is available of course. Finally I rummaged through the stuff that came with things and found a rech support number for the router.
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$..
gillumhouse said:
Last night I had my first WiFi user. She could not get on the system. It wanted a logon domain and since my son & computer guy set everything up, I had no clue. At 8PM Friday, neither is available of course. Finally I rummaged through the stuff that came with things and found a rech support number for the router.
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$.
You might want to do what we did and have that information printed up and available in the room. We have a binder that gives information about the room, the B&B, area restaurants and shopping. I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
Feel free to steal this image for your material.
In my past life I was a procedure writer for the computer room of a major defense contractor. As we were doing it I was writing it. I have been out of it for 15 years now - 6 months made me obsolete - and I was operations, not testicle support. I could make a computer spit out more work than any of the other shifts (when I was an operator, prior to being scheduler and then supervisor) but the internal combustion was in a different realm. From now on I know to ask if they are Vista..... and then will print out the necessary.
gillumhouse said:
In my past life I was a procedure writer for the computer room of a major defense contractor. As we were doing it I was writing it. I have been out of it for 15 years now - 6 months made me obsolete - and I was operations, not testicle support. I could make a computer spit out more work than any of the other shifts (when I was an operator, prior to being scheduler and then supervisor) but the internal combustion was in a different realm. From now on I know to ask if they are Vista..... and then will print out the necessary.
Did you read what you wrote before posting? I'm certainly glad you were in Operations.
Yes. Women were not hired in the tech area so that is what we called them.
gillumhouse said:
Never heard the term before. It just sounded funny coming from you of all people.
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Never heard the term before. It just sounded funny coming from you of all people.
regular_smile.gif
Gillum House? You ought to see her winter special she ran a couple years ago...

Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$..
gillumhouse said:
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$.
You might want to do what we did and have that information printed up and available in the room. We have a binder that gives information about the room, the B&B, area restaurants and shopping. I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
gillumhouse said:
Did you read what you wrote before posting? I'm certainly glad you were in Operations.
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
Gillum House? You ought to see her winter special she ran a couple years ago...
Are you making fun of my Blue Balls Special? THAT got a lot of hits (unfortunately not with the club) until they realized what it was...

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
gillumhouse said:
I was also wondering about
"As we were doing it I was writing it."
embaressed_smile.gif

Focus woman, Focus!

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
Proud Texan said:
I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
What I'm going to steal is the tent fold idea... Why is it so hard to open a desk drawer and read the code?
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
Proud Texan said:
I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
What I'm going to steal is the tent fold idea... Why is it so hard to open a desk drawer and read the code?
=)
Kk.
I printed the code on business cards to give guests needing the Internet.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
Why is it so hard to open the guest room book and do the same? I like the tent cards but I've already got 'stuff' on the counters. That's why I try to stuff it all in the book!

InnsiderInfo said:
But I'm letting it go...it IS a compliment...and they will never be us...not our location, not our amenities, not US personally. We just this year are making the very hard and well-thought out decision to stop participating in our local b&b group. We have made multiple attempts to inject new ways of marketing and new ideas into this group but they never wanted to hear it...until they decided to just ignore us to our faces and then steal from our website. So we are done. We are not hypocrites, I do not have the ability to sit in a room with people who have treated us this way and pretend to be interested in the best way to arrange lillies...or who the best local person is to wash windows (*hint*, it's DH...and I get him for free!). We do not get referrals from any other Inn, though we do refer to them when we are full. It's really disappointing.
Good for you. Just go about your business, try to forget what they are doing and like you, I also would not be working with them directly. I have always tried to work with other innkeepers and not think of them as "competition", but reallyyyyyy...I just can't work with the one guy near me. He (and in your case they) are the ones losing out. Instead of referring guests to them when I'm full, I encourage the caller to log on to our state association website. That way I'm still encouraging guests to stay in a B&B but I don't have to feel like a hypocrite by sending guests to an innkeeper I have no respect for. I hate to say it, but I get a little guilty pleasure by not referring to them because I could fill them up with my leftovers.
Here's our mantra "I'm letting it go...it IS a compliment...and they will never be us...not our location, not our amenities, not US personally"

I think a key to success is to be aware of all the extraneous things out there that can affect your business, but not to be obsessed or controlled by them. There is a B&B near me that for every room I see booked on their webervation calendar, they get 90% of them writing reviews on TA. Manipulative, yes...am I obsessing? NO! Every time I create something new at my inn, it seems to get copied by others around me. Am I obsessing? NO! I've tried to look at it as a back-handed compliment.
GH wrote: "You must realize that you HAVE no competition - they do not have YOU! The only inn where you and your personality, charm, and cooking are found is at YOUR B & B."
I couldn't agree more. Spend your time creating the B&B of your own personal vision...no one else can do your vision. Do yours the best you can, if something doesn't work, change it. I refuse to run my business from the place of fear. I have 2 bad TA reviews because I refused to be bullied by my guests. I also have 58 five star reviews. 2 bad ones out of 60 and I'm not manipulating or obsessing. Life is good. I'm going to KISS myself (keep it simple stupid)!
I'll be the first in line to take the pledge of "The Year of Simple Innkeeping". (I am now raising my right hand over my heart saying the pledge)
lightbulb.gif
I have to agree.
Still relative newbies, in the beginning we weren't sure we had anything to offer. We didn't have a fine old victorian filled with antiques nor any of the traditional bed and breakfast offerings. Yet, we offered what we had: privacy, seclusion, comfort, good homecooking in a wooded setting. It apparently struck a chord because we stay busy and are thriving while others around us are going under.
We have no competition and in fact are very friendly with the remaining B&B owners in the area BECAUSE WE DO NOT COMPETE.
Each of us fills a niche that, quite frankly, the others don't care to invade.

Isn't it sad that we have to be that way?? I have referred prospective guests to the other inns here but they don't return the favor. I'm not sure exactly why except that we are relatively new and are now #1 on TripAdvisor. I actually used to refer guests to them if I felt like their property was a better fit, until recently. (Hard to explain but we all are slightly different.) They have more rooms than we do & one innkeeper said that they would return the favor "when they were full". I guess the icing on the cake was when that particular inn was full with a wedding and my housekeeper heard the innkeeper tell some folks about other places to stay (all hotels), never once mentioning us or other B&Bs. So, I guess they don't have the same spirit of cooperation that I once did. I now refer people to our CVB if we are full. It actually does make me feel bad but this way I know that the CVB tries to recommend a variety of lodging establishments. Oh, well...

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
Why is it so hard to open the guest room book and do the same? I like the tent cards but I've already got 'stuff' on the counters. That's why I try to stuff it all in the book!
Everything, and I do mean everything is in the book. I know guests read it, because they tell us so. The problem is they read without retaining information. I've done my part.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
wifi.gif
=)
Kk.
Everything, and I do mean everything is in the book. I know guests read it, because they tell us so. The problem is they read without retaining information. I've done my part.
I just had a guest a couple of minutes ago come to me and inform me he couldn't log onto our wi-fi.
Me: "Did you put in the password?"
Guest: "There's a password?"
Me: "Yes, it's located in the binder with all the important information that was on your bed when you check-in".
DOH!!!!!

I think a key to success is to be aware of all the extraneous things out there that can affect your business, but not to be obsessed or controlled by them. There is a B&B near me that for every room I see booked on their webervation calendar, they get 90% of them writing reviews on TA. Manipulative, yes...am I obsessing? NO! Every time I create something new at my inn, it seems to get copied by others around me. Am I obsessing? NO! I've tried to look at it as a back-handed compliment.
GH wrote: "You must realize that you HAVE no competition - they do not have YOU! The only inn where you and your personality, charm, and cooking are found is at YOUR B & B."
I couldn't agree more. Spend your time creating the B&B of your own personal vision...no one else can do your vision. Do yours the best you can, if something doesn't work, change it. I refuse to run my business from the place of fear. I have 2 bad TA reviews because I refused to be bullied by my guests. I also have 58 five star reviews. 2 bad ones out of 60 and I'm not manipulating or obsessing. Life is good. I'm going to KISS myself (keep it simple stupid)!
I'll be the first in line to take the pledge of "The Year of Simple Innkeeping". (I am now raising my right hand over my heart saying the pledge)
lightbulb.gif
I have to agree.
Still relative newbies, in the beginning we weren't sure we had anything to offer. We didn't have a fine old victorian filled with antiques nor any of the traditional bed and breakfast offerings. Yet, we offered what we had: privacy, seclusion, comfort, good homecooking in a wooded setting. It apparently struck a chord because we stay busy and are thriving while others around us are going under.
We have no competition and in fact are very friendly with the remaining B&B owners in the area BECAUSE WE DO NOT COMPETE.
Proud Texan said:
We have no competition and in fact are very friendly with the remaining B&B owners in the area BECAUSE WE DO NOT COMPETE. Each of us fills a niche that, quite frankly, the others don't care to invade.
We, too, are friendly with those in our area, and find that we really don't compete. The four of us are soooo different. And when there is something big in town, there are guests enough for all of us.
=)
Kk.

lightbulb.gif
I have to agree.
Proud Texan said:
We have no competition and in fact are very friendly with the remaining B&B owners in the area BECAUSE WE DO NOT COMPETE. Each of us fills a niche that, quite frankly, the others don't care to invade.
We, too, are friendly with those in our area, and find that we really don't compete. The four of us are soooo different. And when there is something big in town, there are guests enough for all of us.
=)
Kk.
We are all different here too and there is plenty of business to go around. Unfortunately, the others don't believe this and there's really nothing that I can say or do to change their mind.

Hear hear! I fully agree with this original post.
I refuse also to give into the blackmail of "if you insist on maintaining your cancellation policy we will write you up in Trip Advisor" or the woman who gave me a bad writeup on Yahoo Travel "if you don't let me book my 6 girlfriends in your two room suite I'll write you up". She did, but I won't be blackmailed.
If they have to book a place that has 350 glowing reviews they won't book me. But I have found that promoting our interest (wine tours) we get plenty of bookings because they have similar interest in wine, and this makes for fun and entertaining guests about 90% of our time.
RIki

lightbulb.gif

lightbulb.gif
I have to agree.
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
We are all different here too and there is plenty of business to go around. Unfortunately, the others don't believe this and there's really nothing that I can say or do to change their mind.

InnsiderInfo said:
But I'm letting it go...it IS a compliment...and they will never be us...not our location, not our amenities, not US personally. We just this year are making the very hard and well-thought out decision to stop participating in our local b&b group. We have made multiple attempts to inject new ways of marketing and new ideas into this group but they never wanted to hear it...until they decided to just ignore us to our faces and then steal from our website. So we are done. We are not hypocrites, I do not have the ability to sit in a room with people who have treated us this way and pretend to be interested in the best way to arrange lillies...or who the best local person is to wash windows (*hint*, it's DH...and I get him for free!). We do not get referrals from any other Inn, though we do refer to them when we are full. It's really disappointing.
Good for you. Just go about your business, try to forget what they are doing and like you, I also would not be working with them directly. I have always tried to work with other innkeepers and not think of them as "competition", but reallyyyyyy...I just can't work with the one guy near me. He (and in your case they) are the ones losing out. Instead of referring guests to them when I'm full, I encourage the caller to log on to our state association website. That way I'm still encouraging guests to stay in a B&B but I don't have to feel like a hypocrite by sending guests to an innkeeper I have no respect for. I hate to say it, but I get a little guilty pleasure by not referring to them because I could fill them up with my leftovers.
Here's our mantra "I'm letting it go...it IS a compliment...and they will never be us...not our location, not our amenities, not US personally".

Back