The Year of Simple Innkeeping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
I recently found this theme mentioned in an older thread from January. Thank you, JBJ, for reminding me that this should be my main focus.
All this up and down, back and forth about Trip Advisor, Bed and Breakfast.com reviews, etc....so many innkeepers on this forum worried how this or that action will be taken by a guest...is this "TA worthy", will they give me "bad marks"???
Reading TA, knowing certain competitors are manipulating the system...getting worked up about it, how can I keep up with that, should I be more aggressive in getting reviews...ENOUGH.
I know one thing: Our product is excellent. We put our best foot forward when we get out of bed each morning to ensure that it is excellent. We have a true desire for every guest to feel welcomed, to be comfortable, and to enjoy a wonderful stay with us. We are human beings. We are allowed to have emotions, to get tired, to be frustrated at times. We have a primary obligation to be professional with our customers at all times...but we also have the right to let someone know when they've crossed a line. I will not live my life and analyze each and every action I take based on fear that someone will write something about me online.
I'M DONE with worrying about comments that anyone might make. I am so thankful for the people who take the time to write about enjoying their stay, I wish the other majority of our guests who also have an excellent time would write a review, but realize that they won't. I DON'T WRITE REVIEWS...good or bad...I am busy and I just don't ever have time to sit down and do it.
I had a realization when planning a trip for next winter...when I look for a place to stay, I do a general search of the area to find properties...then I go to TA to see what's being said. I will read all the reviews. As long as the place I had chosen is not consistently rated rat-infested, filthy, and unheated...I will always book my first choice, even if the reviews are lukewarm. Why? There was something about that place...it's website, or a photo, or even a phrase of advertising...that called me to it. I've had very few, if any, disappointments in traveling using this "system".
If someone wants to choose a competitor over me based on the higher number of reviews that the competitor has, so be it...I will never be able to compete with them on that front anyway...they have more rooms, more guests, more staff, etc. I will stay here and continue to hone and refine my website, direct my message to attract the perfect customers for US...I realized today that I DON'T WANT the guests who are choosing their place of stay based on number of reviews, or glowing reviews, or whatever. I WANT the folks who found MY website and felt pulled to stay here.
Keep It Simple Stupid...I am going to make a concerted effort to do this. I will not spin my wheels worrying about what my competition is doing or not doing...I will continue to focus on putting out the very best product I can, on giving each person the best experience I can. I will try to enjoy every person I welcome into my home, and those who I don't enjoy as much I will still be thankful for as they plop down their credit card before they head out the door. I will not listen to "should" or "should not", from this forum or anyone who thinks they know my business better than I do. I will follow what has gotten me to this point...my instinct, my vision, my common sense, and my sincere desire to do a good job. That is enough. I am enough.
Phew, had to get that off my chest! I now return you to your regularly scheduled postings. Thanks inn-mates, for listening.
regular_smile.gif

I will not spin my wheels worrying about what my competition is doing or not doing...
You must realize that you HAVE no competition - they do not have YOU! The only inn where you and your personality, charm, and cooking are found is at YOUR B & B.
Yes, there are other inns, just as there are myriad hotels/motels. But where the hotels/motels are "cookie-cutter", our B & Bs are each unique. Each a product of the innkeeper in residence. And without that innkeeper, it will be a totally different inn - may be the same building, but the "flavor" of the inn will change.

Well said Innsider. I spend zero time thinking about what my "competition" is doing, and when I'm interacting with my guests, I don't ever consider what their review would be or how to manipulate what they might say.
Provide the best possible stay, at the best possible rate for you and your guest and provide the best possible service; you and your guests will all be happy!

I will not spin my wheels worrying about what my competition is doing or not doing...
You must realize that you HAVE no competition - they do not have YOU! The only inn where you and your personality, charm, and cooking are found is at YOUR B & B.
Yes, there are other inns, just as there are myriad hotels/motels. But where the hotels/motels are "cookie-cutter", our B & Bs are each unique. Each a product of the innkeeper in residence. And without that innkeeper, it will be a totally different inn - may be the same building, but the "flavor" of the inn will change..
gillumhouse said:
You just made me stop in my tracks...I have never heard this phrased exactly this way before but it really struck a chord...THIS should definitely be taught to all aspirings!!!
Thanks everyone for your support...I think I just needed to declare this out loud for myself...it's been a trying week, one with lots of personal stuff going on...just before I posted found out my dearest friend here had to unexpectedly put her dog down today...and then come back to check in a full house...only WE know how tough it can be to be "us" sometimes. Thank you all for your camaraderie.

Hear hear! K.i.s.s. has got to be the way to go in this business.
With that theme in mind, that means treating guests with kindness which is more than they get at a hotel or anywhere else in their day-to-day lives. A smile? Do we realize how valuable it is for someone to receive our smile? How much does that cost? Not a cent.
We don't have to provide over the top meals, we don't have to meet their every possible need, unless of course you charge $500 a night then you HAVE to! Otherwise you provide something wonderful right where you are and of course innkeepers make the stay special. No hand holding necessary - with some of the added stress we think we have to buzz around (as helo hosts). Let them be, let them enjoy what you have on offer! Guests actually enjoy relaxing and a relaxed innkeeper is conducent to a relaxed inn!
The same goes with some of our marketing and tracking of guests - there is a point when it can consume us, we need to not allow that to happen.
Thanks for the reminder Innsider, we all need it!
cheers.gif

"I realized today that I DON'T WANT the guests who are choosing their place of stay based on number of reviews, or glowing reviews, or whatever."
Just as you don't want your guests doing your marketing; you don't want to feel like you are doing TA's marketing either, which is exactly what they are aiming for with their partnership campaign.
The last guest you want is the TA "wannabe critic". The one with voluminous reviews and the need to evaluate everything just to increase their perceived prestige on the site..

"I realized today that I DON'T WANT the guests who are choosing their place of stay based on number of reviews, or glowing reviews, or whatever."
Just as you don't want your guests doing your marketing; you don't want to feel like you are doing TA's marketing either, which is exactly what they are aiming for with their partnership campaign.
The last guest you want is the TA "wannabe critic". The one with voluminous reviews and the need to evaluate everything just to increase their perceived prestige on the site...
SweetiePie said:
The last guest you want is the TA "wannabe critic". The one with voluminous reviews and the need to evaluate everything just to increase their perceived prestige on the site..
I have to disagree with you. When DW and I travel, we ALWAYS look at reviews. Granted, sometimes they can be misleading, but it's better than going in blind and getting burned or having a bad experience. I also leave reviews for the places we have stayed. I try to be honest and balanced in my accessment. AND I don't do it for the innkeeper. I do it for my fellow travelers. I'm sure that others do the same.
In addition I don't use TA. There site seems to overhyped and it benefits them more than it does me.
As far as marketing, I'll take it where I can get it. If you make so much money that you don't need to free marketing, then bless your heart.

The last guest you want is the TA "wannabe critic". The one with voluminous reviews and the need to evaluate everything just to increase their perceived prestige on the site...
SweetiePie said:
Bingo!

SweetiePie said:
Bingo!
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
Bingo!
I've had one of those and they stink. I think a lot of them are vying for the position of 'featured rant' on the TA home page. They rarely tell you of their concerns, because then you would have a chance to address them and they wouldn't be able to be clever about it at your expense.

Last night I had my first WiFi user. She could not get on the system. It wanted a logon domain and since my son & computer guy set everything up, I had no clue. At 8PM Friday, neither is available of course. Finally I rummaged through the stuff that came with things and found a rech support number for the router.
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$.

Last night I had my first WiFi user. She could not get on the system. It wanted a logon domain and since my son & computer guy set everything up, I had no clue. At 8PM Friday, neither is available of course. Finally I rummaged through the stuff that came with things and found a rech support number for the router.
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$..
gillumhouse said:
Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$.
You might want to do what we did and have that information printed up and available in the room. We have a binder that gives information about the room, the B&B, area restaurants and shopping. I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
Feel free to steal this image for your material.

I think a key to success is to be aware of all the extraneous things out there that can affect your business, but not to be obsessed or controlled by them. There is a B&B near me that for every room I see booked on their webervation calendar, they get 90% of them writing reviews on TA. Manipulative, yes...am I obsessing? NO! Every time I create something new at my inn, it seems to get copied by others around me. Am I obsessing? NO! I've tried to look at it as a back-handed compliment.
GH wrote: "You must realize that you HAVE no competition - they do not have YOU! The only inn where you and your personality, charm, and cooking are found is at YOUR B & B."
I couldn't agree more. Spend your time creating the B&B of your own personal vision...no one else can do your vision. Do yours the best you can, if something doesn't work, change it. I refuse to run my business from the place of fear. I have 2 bad TA reviews because I refused to be bullied by my guests. I also have 58 five star reviews. 2 bad ones out of 60 and I'm not manipulating or obsessing. Life is good. I'm going to KISS myself (keep it simple stupid)!
I'll be the first in line to take the pledge of "The Year of Simple Innkeeping". (I am now raising my right hand over my heart saying the pledge)
lightbulb.gif

Does her laptop have Vista? AHA!!! Yes. He walked us through it (I now have a procedure written) and she was on the Net!! She was very patient and understanding of the situation. But I thanked her by giving them 2 splits of sparkling cider and 2 hand-blown WV goblets as a thank you. This one was a freebie (she bought it in a silent auction) but they are talking about coming back to see some other sights in my area. I can only hope they do come back, next time is $$$..
gillumhouse said:
You might want to do what we did and have that information printed up and available in the room. We have a binder that gives information about the room, the B&B, area restaurants and shopping. I've also posted a little tentfold on the desk in each room giving the guest both the domain and password of our Wifi network. So far, we've only had two guest bring their laptops, but they were both appreciative.
wifi.gif
In my past life I was a procedure writer for the computer room of a major defense contractor. As we were doing it I was writing it. I have been out of it for 15 years now - 6 months made me obsolete - and I was operations, not testicle support. I could make a computer spit out more work than any of the other shifts (when I was an operator, prior to being scheduler and then supervisor) but the internal combustion was in a different realm. From now on I know to ask if they are Vista..... and then will print out the necessary.

We have had guests bring laptops from work, from friends, etc. Laptops that have never roamed in the wilds before. If they cannot connect, we give it the old IBM try (me as a former help desk person) and hubs because they don't expect a woman to know anything. If we can't get it going in 10-15 minutes we say we're sorry but perhaps their work tech people have set up firewalls that only their work tech people can remove. Then we point them to the computer in the living room.
I am out of the tech biz. I am an innkeeper. It does not say 'Bed, Breakfast and Tech Support' on the sign outside.
Glad you were able to figure it out.

We have had guests bring laptops from work, from friends, etc. Laptops that have never roamed in the wilds before. If they cannot connect, we give it the old IBM try (me as a former help desk person) and hubs because they don't expect a woman to know anything. If we can't get it going in 10-15 minutes we say we're sorry but perhaps their work tech people have set up firewalls that only their work tech people can remove. Then we point them to the computer in the living room.
I am out of the tech biz. I am an innkeeper. It does not say 'Bed, Breakfast and Tech Support' on the sign outside.
Bree said:
I am going to contradict you right now. I think you may have your hands and mind in the tech realm more now than before? I know I do and I thoroughly enjoy it, why? Because it is for moi, not for some company we work for, but anything I do, and I do whatever I want to do, I learn from and it is all about my business. Self taught and the gains are my gains.

Bree said:
I am going to contradict you right now. I think you may have your hands and mind in the tech realm more now than before? I know I do and I thoroughly enjoy it, why? Because it is for moi, not for some company we work for, but anything I do, and I do whatever I want to do, I learn from and it is all about my business. Self taught and the gains are my gains.
On my side of the door, yes, I do more tech work than ever. But on the guest side? No. I didn't install their laptops, I don't know what security software they have, I am not going to be paying to 'fix' something they say I broke when something else no longer works when they get home. I will try, but I will not sweat over it.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
In my past life I was a procedure writer for the computer room of a major defense contractor. As we were doing it I was writing it. I have been out of it for 15 years now - 6 months made me obsolete - and I was operations, not testicle support. I could make a computer spit out more work than any of the other shifts (when I was an operator, prior to being scheduler and then supervisor) but the internal combustion was in a different realm. From now on I know to ask if they are Vista..... and then will print out the necessary.
gillumhouse said:
Did you read what you wrote before posting? I'm certainly glad you were in Operations.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
gillumhouse said:
Did you read what you wrote before posting? I'm certainly glad you were in Operations.
Yes. Women were not hired in the tech area so that is what we called them.

gillumhouse said:
wifi.gif
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Never heard the term before. It just sounded funny coming from you of all people.
regular_smile.gif

Back