The Younger Generation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
We are reaching them somehow! Just had a young gentleman take a train from Chicago to come to a college orientation and he called this morning to make a reservation. He used his own credit card and he is out exploring the town right now. I asked about his parents and he said they will be coming tomorrow so it may lead to another reservation. I asked if he had ever stayed at a B&B before - nope, but this B&B showed up as the closest to campus and so he thought he'd try it! Just thought I'd share with you all.

Thanks Sue, I had two rooms of younger guests this past week, and VERY YOUNG 1st year wedding anniv here for 3 nights from Penn State last week, they still had milk on their lips!

We had one weekend last year where almost everyone was under 21. For me it was not the most comfortable of weekends. Lots of singles or very young couples. None of them would talk to each other so the singles were alone and the couples kept to themselves. If a new single or couple walked in all conversation stopped. So, in my mind, it was not a good experience for the singles.
Usually, if there is a single older person an older couple will try to bring them into the conversation.
I guess I need to work on my 'group mingle' skills. It's a lot more work when I have to be "Julie, the cruise director".

We had newlyweds last week. Also quite young. Always enjoyable as they're 'tweeting' and 'facebooking' to tell their friends all about us!

We had newlyweds last week. Also quite young. Always enjoyable as they're 'tweeting' and 'facebooking' to tell their friends all about us!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
We had newlyweds last week. Also quite young. Always enjoyable as they're 'tweeting' and 'facebooking' to tell their friends all about us!
That IS a positive aspect of having them stay.

I get them sometimes... the hotels won't take guests under 21. I take guests who'll pay my prices!
=)
Kk.

A very large percentage of our guests are young first-time B&B guests. We've noticed the trend, but are at a loss to explain it.

A very large percentage of our guests are young first-time B&B guests. We've noticed the trend, but are at a loss to explain it..
I could see it at your place as you have the cabins. You've got the privacy thing going for you.

A very large percentage of our guests are young first-time B&B guests. We've noticed the trend, but are at a loss to explain it..
It's a money thing too...D.I.N.K.S and all that.
For the most part we love younger couples, sometimes like Aussie Innkeep's situation they are slovenly and we don't love that, but they are usually very sweet.

I think Alibi is right. It's the privacy thing. That's why we get mostly younger guests. It's rare we get folks 60+. They seem to go for the more traditional type b&b.

Since I am still close to being one of the young B&B guests I would explain them being drawn to B&Bs is the dislike of chains and everything being the same. Since young people have grown up with Wal-marts, Applebees, and all the big companies dominating all areas of life we like when going on vacation getting away from that and experiencing something unique.

So...what does everyone think about the new "Better Way To Stay" campaign of PAII's? It's meant to reach those Gen-X and Gen-Y people and let them know who we are and that we're not just for their parents and granparents.

I think partly gen-Y people want to investigate their own thing and can use the internet to check if it is for them ie not grannys house or maybe they want grannys house and in that case can find that. Also I have found that small places are quiker to embrace twitter and facebook than chains and certainly have more interesting things to say. therefore reach this audience more quickly and more effectively than the corporate drones.

Last night I got a call for that same room from someone with a "service dog". Fortunately, they chose to stay somewhere cheaper. How ironic would that have been if I had rented the room and a dog stayed in it because we all know we can't refuse service dogs! Phew!

Since I am still close to being one of the young B&B guests I would explain them being drawn to B&Bs is the dislike of chains and everything being the same. Since young people have grown up with Wal-marts, Applebees, and all the big companies dominating all areas of life we like when going on vacation getting away from that and experiencing something unique.
Rook217 said:
That is what I call the real Americana.

Last night I got a call for that same room from someone with a "service dog". Fortunately, they chose to stay somewhere cheaper. How ironic would that have been if I had rented the room and a dog stayed in it because we all know we can't refuse service dogs! Phew!.
Sure it wasn't your couple building a case (they think) that you DO allow dogs?

Last night I got a call for that same room from someone with a "service dog". Fortunately, they chose to stay somewhere cheaper. How ironic would that have been if I had rented the room and a dog stayed in it because we all know we can't refuse service dogs! Phew!.
Sure it wasn't your couple building a case (they think) that you DO allow dogs?
I'm sure. This new couple came to look at the room in person. I was relieved that they decided to spend a fortune at the local fine dining restaurant $$$$$ and stay at a cheap place. LOL

I HAVE PROOF!
I know it is not every guest, I know it is different apples and oranges wherever you go, but I have proof of a young couple - 1 yr anniversary who were alone in our cottage (in other words not the main house where they might think someone could walk past the door and peer in) and STILL left the room super tidy with bed made. Here is their tea and fruit starter tray on the bed with the bed made. I just sent them a paper-in-the-mail thank you card for being lovely guests (yes this was the blood spurting couple and shut the door I'm nekid!) haha
lrg_tidy_guests.jpg

This is how they left the room
God bless the southerners...sorry but it is almost always the southerners. Thems fightin' words! haha

I HAVE PROOF!
I know it is not every guest, I know it is different apples and oranges wherever you go, but I have proof of a young couple - 1 yr anniversary who were alone in our cottage (in other words not the main house where they might think someone could walk past the door and peer in) and STILL left the room super tidy with bed made. Here is their tea and fruit starter tray on the bed with the bed made. I just sent them a paper-in-the-mail thank you card for being lovely guests (yes this was the blood spurting couple and shut the door I'm nekid!) haha
lrg_tidy_guests.jpg

This is how they left the room
God bless the southerners...sorry but it is almost always the southerners. Thems fightin' words! haha.
cheers.gif

My experience today with the college-age crowd...skip breakfast, sleep until noon and leave the room a mess. Sleeping in is pretty standard with the late teens- late 20's crowd here. I only wish they would SAY so when they check in. 'I think we'll skip breakfast,' would help so much instead of waiting an hour after everyone else is done just for them.

Back