Therapy Dogs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
We had many discussions about therapy dogs. It has just come up on PAII Forum. Hoyt Dottry of Walnut Lane Inn in SC posted this that really answers everything regarding what we must do with THERAPY animals.
I did some research and on the below website, scroll down to “Classification of Therapy Dogs” and read the verbiage. I have also pasted it below. I think this is a clear description that these are two completely different categories and the ADA laws do not apply to therapy animals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapy_dog
This is a copy and paste: Therapy dogs are not service or assistance dogs. Service dogs directly assist humans, and have a legal right to accompany their owners in most areas. In the United States, service dogs are legally protected at the federal level by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Therapy dogs do not provide direct assistance and are not mentioned in the Americans with Disabilities Act.[1] Institutions may invite, limit, or prohibit access by therapy dogs. If allowed, many institutions have rigorous requirements for therapy dogs.
Also: http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/companimals/assist.htm
Social/Therapy Animals
Social/therapy animals provide emotional support in places such as elder care facilities and hospitals. These animals do not have the same legal status as assistance/service animals and are not mentioned in the ADA. Many visiting therapy dogs help physically stimulate people in nursing homes or assisted living facilities by playing ball, being brushed or pet, and going for walks. Although many therapy animals are dogs, any type of animal that is good natured can be used to provide these services. Some animals, including horses, help in reaching people that were once thought unreachable.

I love the therapy dogs! There was one that was a Grand Pyranees (sp?) and they had him on a news program or something. This monster dog was so gentle, he could get in bed with patients who were not responding -coming out of a coma or something and within minutes they would start moving and stroking him and "coming back".
It was amazing to watch!
Riki

I love the therapy dogs! There was one that was a Grand Pyranees (sp?) and they had him on a news program or something. This monster dog was so gentle, he could get in bed with patients who were not responding -coming out of a coma or something and within minutes they would start moving and stroking him and "coming back".
It was amazing to watch!
Riki.
They are wonderful but the great thing is that pet-free inns can REFUSE them - legally!! They are not in the seeing-ey/service dog category!!

It was amazing to watch!
Riki.
They are wonderful but the great thing is that pet-free inns can REFUSE them - legally!! They are not in the seeing-ey/service dog category!!
gillumhouse said:
Oh yes, and I would refuse them too. I appreciate that you did this checking for us!
My Sasha was abused at a kennel and bullied by a pack of neighbor's dogs that were let run free and when he sees a dog he thinks it's time to fight. Plus, I don't want to deal with the ticks. We have them all over here!
RIki

It was amazing to watch!
Riki.
gillumhouse said:
Oh yes, and I would refuse them too. I appreciate that you did this checking for us!
My Sasha was abused at a kennel and bullied by a pack of neighbor's dogs that were let run free and when he sees a dog he thinks it's time to fight. Plus, I don't want to deal with the ticks. We have them all over here!
RIki
Wish I could take the credit for digging - it was Hoyt who did the work. I just copied his post.

It was amazing to watch!
Riki.
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Wish I could take the credit for digging - it was Hoyt who did the work. I just copied his post.
YEah for Hoyt! He's a great guy and is very thorough.

Back