There’s nothing to eat!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Petulant 17 year old sitting impatiently with mom and grandma. Mom, “are you sure? They have French toast. They have yogurt....”
on the buffet, left to right - plain and vanilla yogurt cups, homemade granola, shredded coconut, chocolate and peanut butter chips, walnuts, sunflower seeds, Cheerios, fruit loops, Raisin Bran, store bought granola, variety of Quaker instant oatmeal, milk, four kinds of juice, four kinds of cut up fruit, lemon poppyseed muffins, sausage, French toast, homemade oatmeal, craisins, maple syrup, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.

There’s nothing to eat!

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I forgot. There’s also honey by the yogurt bar and honey and cinnamon by the oatmeal.

Spoiled brat. It never ceases to amaze me that parents put up with this type of behavior. I suspect the mom herself exhibits some of this food preference. Totally rude and uncalled for.

Another guest had to run back into her room because it’s too hot on the front porch to eat. The bedrooms have ac, but the main room of this antique seaside house does not have ac. It’s flippin August in New England! It’s supposed to be hot! We wait all flippin year for this weather! Go back to your air conditioned universe and leave us to enjoy our summer paradise.

I’m in an unforgiving mood today!

It’s flippin August in New England! It’s supposed to be hot! We wait all flippin year for this weather! Go back to your air conditioned universe and leave us to enjoy our summer paradise.

I’m in an unforgiving mood today!
Me too! Yes, hotter today, but what kills me is when it's in the 60s at night and folks run their A/Cs. Who doesn't come to Maine for cool ocean breezes? Also, no A/C in our common areas (or our 3rd floor quarters) either. Open windows and doors circulate our sea air in three directions.

I have sympathy for the teen. It always happened when I went grocery shopping. The fridge would be full, the cupboards restocked, and it took two days before the kids could ‘see’ the food.

‘There’s nothing to eat,’ was a common refrain until the little light went on in their teen brains. (That little light basically said, ‘mom’s not buying anything else, we have to eat what’s here.)

The A/C thing used to make me nuts. Now that I’m living in a motel, I kind of get it. There are huge windows here which I have open during the day, but unlike all of you, there’s a construction zone and a 24 hour Walmart parking lot behind me. I don’t feel comfortable with the windows open at night!

We could not have survived in our house without A/C. Those wonderful Maine sea breezes lose a little oomph a mile inland! We had to put an A/C in the living room. It was too stifling when everyone came to eat at the same time and it was 85 in the house at 9 am.

No figuring young girls, remember family visiting friends and their daughter's idea of breakfast was to go to the drug store for a pack of crackers and a drink from the soda fountain. Me, breakfast is my favorite meal, I was spoiled by a B&B in Pennsylvania who offered a huge family style breakfast with everything one could imagine on the table.

On A/C I think there are winter people and summer people. I'm a winter person, miserable in hot humid weather, moved to our location for the cooler, dryer air. I expect I'm hard on air conditioning, but easy on the heating bill, as an operator I notice it more on the other side with winter guests who expect summertime in the guest rooms, have to shut off the heat and leave the door open to the outside a bit before I can stand to enter the room to clean.

I guess it’s my week!

What’s the answer to the movie line, “How you feelin’ there, Roy?”

A. “Pretty fu@$in’ unappreciated, Pal!”

Woman made a reservation for five rooms for four days. Brought her son, son’s friend and two daughters. Each has his or her own room! Age range is about 18 - 28. Each has come to breakfast separately, scowling. Each jumps when I say good Morning. The woman who invited them all has not come down yet.

Special of the day is a veggie cheese omelette. They are eating cereal and muffins and bacon. One ate all the raisins on the parfait bar. So he got his fruit.

The vibe in the breakfast room is solemn and unhappy. Four days!

I wish. There is one other couple. But they aren’t the mixing type, so I don’t think they’ve noticed.

One woman told me there is dust under the bed aggravating her allergies. Fine, we will check. Cleanest under bed I’ve ever seen. But I did notice she had moved the marble topped dresser over and sure enough, there is dust on the electric wires behind the huge, heavy dresser! I suspect we are dealing with ocd and not allergies. Pita.

I’m trying to be empathetic and understanding, but, seriously, the room is very clean. If you can’t sleep worrying about dust under the bed, maybe don’t travel. Or bring a dust buster.

If you can’t sleep worrying about dust under the bed, maybe don’t travel. Or bring a dust buster.
Yep. People with unreasonable demands need to learn to take care of things themselves. We're paid to do a normal job for normal people, not PITAs.

I guess it’s my week!

What’s the answer to the movie line, “How you feelin’ there, Roy?”

A. “Pretty fu@$in’ unappreciated, Pal!”

Woman made a reservation for five rooms for four days. Brought her son, son’s friend and two daughters. Each has his or her own room! Age range is about 18 - 28. Each has come to breakfast separately, scowling. Each jumps when I say good Morning. The woman who invited them all has not come down yet.

Special of the day is a veggie cheese omelette. They are eating cereal and muffins and bacon. One ate all the raisins on the parfait bar. So he got his fruit.

The vibe in the breakfast room is solemn and unhappy. Four days!
20 room nights of one person to a room instead of two, I'd be very happy to put up with some attitude... send 'em our way!

20 room nights of one person to a room instead of two, I'd be very happy to put up with some attitude... send 'em our way!
It’s the same amount of work. We still make breakfast, empty trash and clean laundry. We don’t need the high maintenance ‘tude along with it.

I found a portable, disposable charcoal grill in my living room. I put a note on it reminding the owner that fires are prohibited on the premises. No one claimed the thing, so I took it. All I could think of was them throwing it in a trash can and starting a fire. Shudder.

They are leaving today. We are excited.
In the morning, there are cups, plates and trash left around the living room. Like they behave in their own home, I imagine.

They are leaving today. We are excited.
In the morning, there are cups, plates and trash left around the living room. Like they behave in their own home, I imagine.
We always found that to be the case with a group. They would spread their snacks and drinks all over the breakfast counter and leave the glasses and plates in the living room. We’d clean before going to bed and again before breakfast.

It is 4:30 and the last one just left!

He was still in his room at 11, so I reminded him that check,out was 11. He hadn’t known that, so at 11:30, he came down and had some coffee. He says, “I’m goin to town for about an hour, can I leave my pack here?” ( he doesn’t have a car,). I say, “ sure.”

He comes back and say, “I’m waiting for my ride, can I sit on the porch? “ sure.”

Later, “it’s starting to rain, can I sit inside?” “ sure”. (Thinking, you’re still here?).

Surprise. He just came back in!! “ do you have a number for a cab company? Somethings wrong with the app.”

Hopefully, this is the last chapter. I spot him on the street. I say, Bud, what the heck? He says, “ she can’t get a lyft for less than $500.” I pull my phone out of my pocket and call my regular airport limo driver. He comes in 15 minutes. Guy is on his way to the airport for a 6:30 flight. I hope he makes it. Airport is between 45 minutes and hours from here depending on traffic. Safe flight!

P.S. The she that couldn’t find a lyft, is in another state. I said, why didn’t you call?

Sorry to hear this, We love children at our Inn. They are so cute in the mornings at breakfast. (OK, Some are!) Two days ago a little girl asked Margie if she could hug her. BUT, and it's the BIG BUT - The Parents make all the difference. Maybe, people are used to No Children at many B&B's - I think they are on there best behavior??? I like to think so anyway. People are a Pain for sure! We try to remember that everyone is doing there best..... Honestly though, we don't get many Children - I guess we may feel differently if we did ???

Back