There’s nothing to eat!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear this, We love children at our Inn. They are so cute in the mornings at breakfast. (OK, Some are!) Two days ago a little girl asked Margie if she could hug her. BUT, and it's the BIG BUT - The Parents make all the difference. Maybe, people are used to No Children at many B&B's - I think they are on there best behavior??? I like to think so anyway. People are a Pain for sure! We try to remember that everyone is doing there best..... Honestly though, we don't get many Children - I guess we may feel differently if we did ???
Ha! It's so nice to hear that viewpoint! We have a six year old, so, as a parent traveling with one of those little humans, I was going to keep quiet on this thread. I agree parents make the difference...we have also had our share of overly energetic kids, but I wouldn't ban them. Now, if I could only ban some of the parents....

Back in the day I traveled with 5 and then 4 of the 2-legged animals! They fought each other in every State we were in, BUT they knew which side of our front door to be themselves. Once they touched the sidewalk (or we were in Public) they became kind, pleasant, helpful people (I would have "killed" them had they been otherwise). It was hard to realize people were talking about MY mob when they said such nice things about them!

the worst kids we had behavior-wise were our grands... running up and down the stairs.... nipped that in the bud!

There were two sets of families that turned me off to kids, which is sad because I've had some good ones. One set rented all four rooms for a ski trip, with three kids hopped up on artificial colors and sugar (I could have opened a small Sam's for all the cookies, crackers, chips, and sugary drinks they brought!). Another set had a screamer. No kids under 12 here from then on. I will make exceptions for only children as they don't seem to be as bad as if there are two egging each other on. I look at it from a guest's standpoint. I wouldn't want to pay good money for a nice, quiet stay only to hear someone else's kids down the hall carrying on. Saved my sanity for sure!

with kids we always ask when they reserve "if your kids are well behaved, we'd love to have them. we don't know your kids but you do..." at that point half the moms say oh no that's not my child thank you... the other half say their kids will be fine... Never fails, we have gotten lovely kids... we find that 1 to 6yo are the problems

Ha! It's so nice to hear that viewpoint! We have a six year old, so, as a parent traveling with one of those little humans, I was going to keep quiet on this thread. I agree parents make the difference...we have also had our share of overly energetic kids, but I wouldn't ban them. Now, if I could only ban some of the parents....
Ban some Parents!! Good one

Round 2 of breakfast is eating breakfast now. Two rooms had to be at the airport by 7:30 so they had a 6 AM breakfast. I am proud to say they dug in mightily. Fortunately, I had taken more ham out of the freezer when I knew those folks were coming (City Manager's family) and had 2 crock pots going with the ham all night. Second dish of egg bake is on the table. This room is here for the WVU vs VA Tech football game.

My version of nothing to eat: on a busy weekend I'll put out a nice, traditional buffet.
I'm tending it and a mom/daughter come through. Mom – fit, tan, So.Cal. -- is carrying the plate for the daughter -- late teens, and skinny. Mom talks, daughter doesn't say a word, but I can see her face.
Mom, "isn't this a nice breakfast? Bacon and eggs and all sorts of nice things." Daughter (oh God ...)
Mom, "you like eggs and bacon don't you?" Daughter (I'm vegan ...)
Mom, "I'll give you a little eggs, and maybe just one strip of bacon." Daughter (I've been vegan for four years ...)
Mom, "potatoes, you probably don't want the potatoes do you?" Air quotes "Too fattening" laughs. Daughter (f#@king right ...)
Mom, "and home-baked muffins, and some really nice fruit? You'll like that."
She gives the plate to the daughter who goes to the farthest corner of the room and spends 10 minutes cutting and sliding bits of food into a form of mosaic. Mother is too busy chatting to even notice that not a a bit of it was eaten.

we always ask when they reserve
It's a good strategy. Same here, children allowed by approval -- typically, no, if we are busy, but mainly, parent's who call also tend to be polite and manage kids better.

Daughter (I'm vegan ...)
And I should add, if I had been informed that the daughter was vegan, I could have accommodated her; I would have talked with her personally about what she might like. But I think for her, nothing is what she wanted to eat.

Mom on arrival announces in front of kid: He is a picky eater

Kid cannot make a liar out of Mom but his face said he wanted to

I'm SO glad I send them to restaurants for all their food! But I admire those of you who put up with all the dietary craziness.

When we first started - I would be extremely inflexible - you ate what was made or selected from our Continental Breakfast layout, Instant Oatmeal - bagels - toast - muffins - fresh fruit etc.... NOW, I'm more comfortable as a short order cook that all special requests (made prior to the morning) are accommodated. I actually enjoy it at times as it brings diversity in to my morning routine - ie: Groundhog Day!!
All the best, Grateful J IAM

When we first started - I would be extremely inflexible - you ate what was made or selected from our Continental Breakfast layout, Instant Oatmeal - bagels - toast - muffins - fresh fruit etc.... NOW, I'm more comfortable as a short order cook that all special requests (made prior to the morning) are accommodated. I actually enjoy it at times as it brings diversity in to my morning routine - ie: Groundhog Day!!
All the best, Grateful J IAM
I’m with you especially the part about, “made prior to the morning.” That’s the thing. Most of these requests are made during breakfast.

Back