There are Bikers and then there are Bikers!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
Thought you'd enjoy seeing the bikers who visited the B&B last night.
(For some reason, I'm having trouble with my attachments.)
Anyway, 4 couples came by way of our rail-trail, which is about 4 miles away from the B&B and accessible only by 4 lane roads. They drove in their cars to the southern terminus of the trail, arranged to park the cars at a country school for 4 days, and rode the bikes 24 miles to get here. The plan is for them to ride 40 miles today and 40 miles tomorrow and loop back to the cars on Sunday.
They take excursions like this every summer (West Virginia is on their radar next summer) and always stay in B&B's. The scene this morning was replete with lots of my friends honking and waving as they drove by while the crew was assembling their packs and getting organized.
I hadn't seen the new tandem bikes (I guess I've had other things on my mind). I guess it makes it much easier to go those longer distances. All of the couples have grandchildren. I expected them to be sweaty, tired and thirsty, but they were in great shape for having fun all evening. They sent a couple of the guys out to buy wine (riding their bikes, of course) and proceeded to have happy hour followed by delivery pizza and Trivial Pursuit. Amazing!
Now to write the blog (by the way, they had not heard of the Kick G as campaign)

thumbs_up.gif
That's great!

I really love seeing your photos, I am always surprised when I open them. I had two couples on Harley's from WISC and two on Harley's the next day from NC. So i thought that was what I was about to open there... PS LOVE THE BUNTING!
cheers.gif

Oh and had some guests from Indie this week too! Very funny very cute - i love the midwestern sense of humor.

Love the cyclists. As they are known in Puget Sound. Cycling is a statement here. They're great folks - we store their bikes in our barn - I'm amazed they have the stamina to get here in the first place!!
Basil Fawlty

We had a couple on a tandem last week, also not spring chickens. They were having a good ride. When they were pulling the bike into our bike racks, DH remarked that a tandem bike would be a fresh new kind of hell for him. I guess he does have a limit of being truly joined by the hip to me. We'll have to stick to the one-person models.

We had a couple on a tandem last week, also not spring chickens. They were having a good ride. When they were pulling the bike into our bike racks, DH remarked that a tandem bike would be a fresh new kind of hell for him. I guess he does have a limit of being truly joined by the hip to me. We'll have to stick to the one-person models..
muirford said:
We had a couple on a tandem last week, also not spring chickens. They were having a good ride. When they were pulling the bike into our bike racks, DH remarked that a tandem bike would be a fresh new kind of hell for him. I guess he does have a limit of being truly joined by the hip to me. We'll have to stick to the one-person models.
I was thinking the same thing as your husband. Being strapped into a two seater cycle with mine would be...well let's just not say not my idead of fun!

We had a couple on a tandem last week, also not spring chickens. They were having a good ride. When they were pulling the bike into our bike racks, DH remarked that a tandem bike would be a fresh new kind of hell for him. I guess he does have a limit of being truly joined by the hip to me. We'll have to stick to the one-person models..
muirford said:
I was thinking the same thing as your husband. Being strapped into a two seater cycle with mine would be...well let's just not say not my idead of fun!
DH and I tried the tandem bike thing on the Jersey Shore boardwalk years back...it was truly hilarious. Neither of us trusted the other to steer, so we were working against each other the whole time. Ended up with a splinter in my palm after we crashed into the railing for the third time.
regular_smile.gif

I have had several recumbants as well as tandems. My bicyclists are usually the older crowd - shall we start with the 60s? and up!

We had lovely couples on their bikes all the way from Holland (which invoves crossing a sea to get here) they love it cos Holland is super flat so its more interesting to ride a motor bike here. Said they went to Scotland last year but it rained every day! oh dear
sad_smile.gif

When I read the OP, I assumed you meant motorcyclists, as in Harley-Davidson motorcyclists.
A year ago, we got an e-mail come-on from some internet marketing firm that specialized in motorcycle-friendly inns. It was hilarious. They wanted to make sure that we provided soap "and other amenities"--including towels--in the rooms, and that there was a safe place to park the motorcycles.
DW & I just looked at each other. "What are these people expecting, if they have to specify soap and towels in the rooms?" Shoot, we could make a fortune in bookings advertising that we furnished complimentary moisturizer for guests' new tattoos.
In the end, we decided against advertising with them. We visited the website of the only Colorado property they had signed up, and, among the restrictive policies posted, discovered that there was an extra charge if guests let their dogs pee on the sides of the building. I'm not making this up.
It boggles the mind wondering what kind of innkeeping episodes prompted that particular policy, but in the end we decided that, while we advertise ourselves as a casual B&B, we're not *that* casual.

muirford said:
DH and I tried the tandem bike thing on the Jersey Shore boardwalk years back...it was truly hilarious. Neither of us trusted the other to steer, so we were working against each other the whole time. Ended up with a splinter in my palm after we crashed into the railing for the third time.
regular_smile.gif

Every year my family rents the 4 seater tandems on the Jersey shore boardwalk and we have "races" - gets kinda scary in the back seat where your only job is pedaling - if your foot falls off you are screwed until they slow down. This year we had toddlers in the front baskets so racing didn't happen!

I thought it would be motorcycles as well.
regular_smile.gif
We had some guests who brought several bikes and one was a tandem. They really had a great time out & about on the tandem. Our downtown bike shop has a "party bike"that they rent - something like 6 people ride on it. It's a hoot!

Back