There can be good and bad with this.....what do you think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna

Reaction score
My hubby and I are aspirings and have kept a daily watch on the forum for a few months now. We just sold our home so the next chapter of our lives will begin soon. There is one particular large home in the maritimes we're interested in. I believe it once was a B&B. Definitely a heritage beauty. It is located pretty close to a well known, "affordable" motel chain and in a fairly high traffic tourist area. We would only have about 4-6 larger rooms in a slightly higher price category and of course would offer breakfast where they do not. How could we plan this right so we could capitalize on this.

Who comes to that area? Do they WANT a B&B or are they 'motel' people? If it used to be a B&B, why is it no longer? Innkeepers got tired? No business?
How much effort (time, money) will it take to get this building up to spec for a B&B? Will you need to do any additional work beyond decorating? Do you know enough about the area to know if things are getting better/worse/staying the same in re tourism?
Congrats on selling your house! That's a big component. You are now a viable buyer.

Before doing anything check if you would bve able to get a permit ..... and what the licencing and food service reqs are.
From these standpoints, it is often (no-one jump dowm my throat, I am not saying always, I am saying often ..) easier to buy an existing (ie operating, not 'formerly" B&B than to start a new one.

I think the if it was why isn't it now and the zoning are of equal importance.
IF if was once a B & B do not assume it has the zoning. If my B & B was in a residential area, I would have been granfathered in BUT if I sold the inn, the new owners would have to apply for a variance.
How close is close to? Next door? Down the block? A few blocks? If it is next door, will the activity of the motel be disturbing to guests (or perceived as a threat to safety)?
Is the area in a "been there/done that" mode with tourists? You could always charge what you need to pay your expenses but will the guests be willing to PAY that rate?
The Internet makes it a bit easier to be a start-up than it used to be. Perhaps a start-up would be viable? Lots of things to think about aren't there!

Before doing anything check if you would bve able to get a permit ..... and what the licencing and food service reqs are.
From these standpoints, it is often (no-one jump dowm my throat, I am not saying always, I am saying often ..) easier to buy an existing (ie operating, not 'formerly" B&B than to start a new one..
Boy are you right there. Also the website and advertising is in place not that it cann't be improved on but they are there. Don't forget the sign. All these things are already ready to go and you can put your own style on things as you go along.
Knowing what I do now there is much to be said about a Bed and Breakfast already turn key.

What about these for a B&B??
teeth_smile.gif

http://www.historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher009
http://www.historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=scmus001

I've seen that site before....amazingly low prices and beautiful.
Most of those are american homes. If Deanna is Canadian, which I am guessing she is considering she is talking about a b & b in the maritimes, would she be able to run a b & b in the U.S.? Though I do think there are people on this forum who have moved from the U.S. to Canada to open a b & b.
I am Canadian and I think there would be too much red tape to open one in the U.S. and vice-versa. I had often thought about it though, considering I have a son and granddaughter living in Colorado (our daughter in law is american).
I am sure there are just too many rules and regulations re moving there though.

Do your research. None of us can help in this without going there and checking it out ourselves. Every area is different. Hope it works out for you!

I've seen that site before....amazingly low prices and beautiful.
Most of those are american homes. If Deanna is Canadian, which I am guessing she is considering she is talking about a b & b in the maritimes, would she be able to run a b & b in the U.S.? Though I do think there are people on this forum who have moved from the U.S. to Canada to open a b & b.
I am Canadian and I think there would be too much red tape to open one in the U.S. and vice-versa. I had often thought about it though, considering I have a son and granddaughter living in Colorado (our daughter in law is american).
I am sure there are just too many rules and regulations re moving there though..
knowlesl said:
I am sure there are just too many rules and regulations re moving there though.
I know from personal experience that it is possible to move from Canada to the US to open and run a B&B. Just like all phases of this process, one has to be determined to do it. I know there is someone on here who was from New Jersey who bought a B&B on PEI...she might be a good one to talk with.
Deanna might want to check with the Canadian equivalent of our American PAII or CAIK. I do know that it is possible, but possibly very hard.
There is also a woman on here who was from Canada (I think) who opened the B&B in Mexico.
Everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

Do your research. None of us can help in this without going there and checking it out ourselves. Every area is different. Hope it works out for you!.
Yes I"m in Canada and we're looking in the Maritimes. Nothing definite yet but see alot of possibilities.

Do your research. None of us can help in this without going there and checking it out ourselves. Every area is different. Hope it works out for you!.
Yes I"m in Canada and we're looking in the Maritimes. Nothing definite yet but see alot of possibilities.
Since reading all of your replies I did a bit more research. Found out that the manager of this inn retired a couple years ago so it's just been rented out. The absentee owner is anxious to sell the property. I mentioned the motel behind....it was apparently always there but has changed hands in the past couple years. The area is known for tourism being on the water. The inn is a block off the water. I'm sure we will be able to find out more specifics once we get back there but for now it looks to hold some promise. There will be some updating to do but we are in to the restoring thing anyway. Any more pointers from all of you would be great. Thanks so much.

Since reading all of your replies I did a bit more research. Found out that the manager of this inn retired a couple years ago so it's just been rented out. The absentee owner is anxious to sell the property. I mentioned the motel behind....it was apparently always there but has changed hands in the past couple years. The area is known for tourism being on the water. The inn is a block off the water. I'm sure we will be able to find out more specifics once we get back there but for now it looks to hold some promise. There will be some updating to do but we are in to the restoring thing anyway. Any more pointers from all of you would be great. Thanks so much.
Plan for triple the money for renovations:-(

There is a lot of wisdom offered here. I hope you read the posts carefully.
I want to encourage you (After you have done your homework of course) know that being near a hotel can work. we are three doors up from a newly renovated historic hotel. We are a larger house, but offer only two rooms right now. We are making it. we have been so much busier than ever ever expected this early on. we have been receiving guests for 6 months now and this past weekend was our firt one off in months! October we were packed with a waiting list!
No, we are not doing any major advertising. We have not paid one advertising dollar. But our web site is good (my personal opinion and all our callers say they love it) and that is what draws our guests. Get listed on every free site possible; ie, city web site, chamber of commerce etc...

I want to encourage you (After you have done your homework of course) know that being near a hotel can work. we are three doors up from a newly renovated historic hotel. We are a larger house, but offer only two rooms right now. We are making it. we have been so much busier than ever ever expected this early on. we have been receiving guests for 6 months now and this past weekend was our firt one off in months! October we were packed with a waiting list!
No, we are not doing any major advertising. We have not paid one advertising dollar. But our web site is good (my personal opinion and all our callers say they love it) and that is what draws our guests. Get listed on every free site possible; ie, city web site, chamber of commerce etc....
I hate to say this but.... has ANYONE ever had ANYONE ( guest that is....) tell them their web site was BAD?????
We all know that everyone's web sites are not the best and there are some that are down right awful..but do you really think a guest would tell you that?
I have redesigned sites for people who have told me " our guest love our website!" Many of them are lying...really...

No, we are not doing any major advertising. We have not paid one advertising dollar. But our web site is good (my personal opinion and all our callers say they love it) and that is what draws our guests. Get listed on every free site possible; ie, city web site, chamber of commerce etc....
I hate to say this but.... has ANYONE ever had ANYONE ( guest that is....) tell them their web site was BAD?????
We all know that everyone's web sites are not the best and there are some that are down right awful..but do you really think a guest would tell you that?
I have redesigned sites for people who have told me " our guest love our website!" Many of them are lying...really...
catlady said:
I had a website designer tell me my website was bad...so I fixed it. But not a guest. I've had all of you tell me something needed doing, but not a guest. Guests either say nothing (as would I as a guest) or they say they liked xyz about the website.

catlady said:
I had a website designer tell me my website was bad...so I fixed it. But not a guest. I've had all of you tell me something needed doing, but not a guest. Guests either say nothing (as would I as a guest) or they say they liked xyz about the website.
Bree said:
catlady said:
The best advice I ever got (other than hire a professional for all the photos!) was what you all have given me. Swirt worked the code, you all worked the aesthetics and voila. Always near and dear to my improvement list!
I WILL take new pics this winter!! I will probably end up buying some new stuff to do it tho.
I just got new pillow sets for 3 rooms. I always want to let guests know they are privileged to sleep on virgin pillows.
OH and ps - when guests ask what DH does I tell them I.T. Network Engineer/admin and they say "Oh that is why you have such a nice website." Which I correct, he is networking, ie hardware, not website design, that is my thing. They don't believe me. I can only cook and clean. LOL

catlady said:
Bree said:
catlady said:
The best advice I ever got (other than hire a professional for all the photos!) was what you all have given me. Swirt worked the code, you all worked the aesthetics and voila. Always near and dear to my improvement list!
I WILL take new pics this winter!! I will probably end up buying some new stuff to do it tho.
I just got new pillow sets for 3 rooms. I always want to let guests know they are privileged to sleep on virgin pillows.
OH and ps - when guests ask what DH does I tell them I.T. Network Engineer/admin and they say "Oh that is why you have such a nice website." Which I correct, he is networking, ie hardware, not website design, that is my thing. They don't believe me. I can only cook and clean. LOL
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
catlady said:
If hubs tells guests I used to be the help desk and now I do the website, they nod sagely. Otherwise, only one or two people have ever even asked.

Back