There goes my sleep-in...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
8:30 P.M. there is a knock at the door. They were sent to me because I am prez of the Council of Churches. Car trouble. Council of Churces provides a meal and a room. Restaurants are closed. I put the bananas & apples in the fruit baskets so i guess they will settle for that. So I quickly roasted some coffee so I have coffee for the morning. fortunately I have plenty of fruit, juices, and eggs. There goes my planned sleep-in....... And no, I probably will not voucher the Council.

I am going to bury my rant here where it will be less likely to see the light of day. It is a vent or cry, and I am near tears right this minute. I can only imagine how the webmaster must feel at this point. I HOPE he is not getting the kind of e-mails I am getting every day. The ones asking are there rooms in _____ (pick a State or near a city) , I want a room at... as if i am a reservation service, and the phone calls asking the same. The innkeepers asking me to stop the phone calls because they have had 50 - I do not try to count them - veterans, innkeepers, and dependents.
The e-mail I got this morning was the last straw I think - I am ashamed to admit, I got pissy in my reply. Why is it that they think the word disabled makes them special - my husband has been "disabled" since he was 12 and never expected any special favors because of it.
[tr]
cid:57E92591-55E2-4ECA-8818-7F2476326206

[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][tr]DEAR KATHLEEN:

I just read about the offer of a free B&B or Inn stay for veterans on November 10th on the VETERANS COMPENSATION PROGRAMS' web site. The one thing that I noticed was that this offer was being made "(ONLY) TO ACTIVE AND RETIRED MILITARY PERSONNEL". I am a disabled veteran who was involuntarily medically discharged in 1991. What about US? Do those of us who had no choice but to end our military service due to illness or injury not count as veterans for the purpose of something like this? We ALSO SERVED PROUDLY AND HONORABLY! Yet, due to circumstances beyond our control, we were not able to continue our service to retirement. It seems that, when it comes to offers such as this, we disabled veterans are the forgotten ones. I did notice also in this article that it specifies that "A VALID MILITARY OR VA ID WILL BE REQUIRED FOR EACH RESERVATION". As a disabled veteran, I DO, of course have a VA ID. However, there is nothing on this ID that identifies me SPECIFICALLY as being a DISABLED veteran or RETIRED military, in order to distinguish me from just ANOTHER honorably discharged veteran. In my opinion, I believe that offers such as this should be available to ALL HONORABLY DISCHARGED VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. ALL honorably discharged veterans, as well as their families, have served and sacrificed proudly in service of their country. Therefore, ALL honorably discharged veterans, and their families, SHOULD BE HONORED FOR THEIR SERVICE. I hope that you agree and might correct this oversight (and slight) to ALL HONORABLY DISCHARGED VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES.

Thank you for your time, attention, and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
[/td][/tr][/table]
I am ready to puke.

I don't get what would make this person think they are being excluded? Pay it no mind Kathleen, and I'm sorry that this has turned out to be such a hassle...try to do something nice for someone............:(

HOW DARE HE!!!!! I'm glad you got snippy with him in your reply! I'm so sorry that you and others out there are being abused. What you and the others have done is a totally selfless act of kindness and it's these kinds of jerks that spoil it for everyone. Please remember that for every one of these idiots, there are hundreds and thousands who appreciate what you and all the other innkeepers are doing.

I don't get what would make this person think they are being excluded? Pay it no mind Kathleen, and I'm sorry that this has turned out to be such a hassle...try to do something nice for someone............:(.
I gave a pissy reply because i was sick of getting these - you should see his reply! I should NOT be in the hospitality business.....
I think it was because it came on the heels of at least 10 e-mails from "I am a disabled veteran how do I get a room..." and the are there any rooms in and then e-mails from innkeepers whu am I not on the site yet and others calling and e-mailing why am I not marked full. It takes time to reply to every e-amil from innkeepers and vets and I only have so much of that commodity. I tried to but just getting the lists created and sent on has been a challenge and I am sure it has been just as much a challenge to the webmaster.
I am not disabled but i deal with it every day and it is just as hard on the "abled" who has to conpensate for the can't dos. I do not care who you are - EVERYONE has challenges they have to deal with, some are visible and most are not. We have challenges that are financial, of caring for elderly or disabled, of dealing with nasty jobs and/or bosses, of trying to be all things to the people we love and care for, of meeting the obligations socoety heaps upon one. No one is exempt from challenges. I guess I just get fed up with the ones who think they DESERVE something because they have challenges that get my goat. I come from a long line who live the "suck it up". That said, i need to go back to sucking it up. Thanks for letting me vent.

(((Kathleen)))
Participants in the program are doing what we can where we can. To use your words, this is a gift, not a charity and most certainly not an entitlement.
Honoring one set of people is NOT the same as dishonoring a different set.
Some people never learn to move on. Don't let them drag you down. _YOU_ have done a marvelous thing organizing this.

(((Kathleen)))
Participants in the program are doing what we can where we can. To use your words, this is a gift, not a charity and most certainly not an entitlement.
Honoring one set of people is NOT the same as dishonoring a different set.
Some people never learn to move on. Don't let them drag you down. _YOU_ have done a marvelous thing organizing this..
Yeah, like the one who asked this afternoon for the is there a list? Sent it. then come back with should I call or should I have my sgt do it. I reply, excuse me? You are a big boy. Pick up the phone. What do I get in reply? should have known - EXCUSE ME. I just asked a simple question.
Today I am just so tired of spoon-feeding everyone and being badgered tp make rye bread because some samned dietician said tha rye breas is the best for him to eat. The last one said whole wheat so that was constantly in demand. Now it is rye bread. And of course, we cannot BUY a loaf of something - it has too much salt and fat in it! Too many phone calls and too many e-mails and too much laundry and I am giving in to my own meltdown but that is not permitted here.

Kathleen you are started a wonderful thing...there are so many needy people out there...more than any program can cater for. .... I contibute to an organisation started by a 20 year old called 40K foundation and have just completed building their 1 st orphanage catering for 100 children in Bangladore, India. Many of the foundation team went over for the opening 1 week ago and all reported wherever they went and gave money ...gifts..they would start a riot as hundreds of desperate people would descend upon them when the work got out...quite frightning... so you have started an avanlache because you have done a GOOD thing.....I know the success of this thing is at present overwhealming but there are strategies that can be adopted to get some measure of control back. This extraordinary(as you are) 20 year old then now 26 year old now has a honorary committee, advisors and some 300 helpers..mostly university students...............like you...... none of them are paid but they continue their good work but he has learnt farm out and delegate. I am sure your Innmates can help get some sanity back JJ

Kathleen you are started a wonderful thing...there are so many needy people out there...more than any program can cater for. .... I contibute to an organisation started by a 20 year old called 40K foundation and have just completed building their 1 st orphanage catering for 100 children in Bangladore, India. Many of the foundation team went over for the opening 1 week ago and all reported wherever they went and gave money ...gifts..they would start a riot as hundreds of desperate people would descend upon them when the work got out...quite frightning... so you have started an avanlache because you have done a GOOD thing.....I know the success of this thing is at present overwhealming but there are strategies that can be adopted to get some measure of control back. This extraordinary(as you are) 20 year old then now 26 year old now has a honorary committee, advisors and some 300 helpers..mostly university students...............like you...... none of them are paid but they continue their good work but he has learnt farm out and delegate. I am sure your Innmates can help get some sanity back JJ.
Too late to farm out. Back to the family mantra - SUCK IT UP. Once the frickin' bread is baked THAT will be off my back.

what I meant is the overwhealming success for this year is .... well......... overwhealming but planning (when the dust settles) to distribute and delegate the work load........ planning for next year . These vets from my experience (medico) battle with the beaurocracy alot where they are politically promised entitlements that not sustainable. So they are venting on you. It is not personal at all .They have been conditioned to complain (much of it might be legit) but B and B for Vets is an outlet for them because you are your fellow INNmates are at least listening. Wish I could help.....not much help from an aspiring Aussie in Oz though . JJ

what I meant is the overwhealming success for this year is .... well......... overwhealming but planning (when the dust settles) to distribute and delegate the work load........ planning for next year . These vets from my experience (medico) battle with the beaurocracy alot where they are politically promised entitlements that not sustainable. So they are venting on you. It is not personal at all .They have been conditioned to complain (much of it might be legit) but B and B for Vets is an outlet for them because you are your fellow INNmates are at least listening. Wish I could help.....not much help from an aspiring Aussie in Oz though . JJ.
flossy said:
what I meant is the overwhealming success for this year is .... well......... overwhealming but planning (when the dust settles) to distribute and delegate the work load........ planning for next year . These vets from my experience (medico) battle with the beaurocracy alot where they are politically promised entitlements that not sustainable. So they are venting on you. It is not personal at all .They have been conditioned to complain (much of it might be legit) but B and B for Vets is an outlet for them because you are your fellow INNmates are at least listening. Wish I could help.....not much help from an aspiring Aussie in Oz though . JJ
I am married to a Veteran from the Royal Australian Navy. :) He ate his vegemite this morning as he helped with breakfast here at the B&B (it's NASCAR weekend in Martinsville Virginia).

Oh K...huggs and kisses-wish that I could be there to help you out-and you know that i would in an instant. Sorry that you've had it so rough and with all you are doing you have every right to vent, cry, scream and complain and that is why we are here-so from me a mom whose son went to war twice and they wanted to send him a second time with 1/2 his hearing already gone-THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. and im sorry that i e-mailed you twice about putting "full" in the list-you know that the snakes come out to bite when you are giving somthing for free.
You are a saint-and Im just not saying that-you are and you so much need a break, could one of the kids come take care of DH and you just take a weekend off-and I mean go to a B & B near by (Im sure one would welcome you) and just sit, relax or better yet SLEEP all weekend? That would be a great Christmas present from your kids-come take care of Dad while I take some R & R that I surley deserve-
You are in my prayers and thoughts!

Oh K...huggs and kisses-wish that I could be there to help you out-and you know that i would in an instant. Sorry that you've had it so rough and with all you are doing you have every right to vent, cry, scream and complain and that is why we are here-so from me a mom whose son went to war twice and they wanted to send him a second time with 1/2 his hearing already gone-THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. and im sorry that i e-mailed you twice about putting "full" in the list-you know that the snakes come out to bite when you are giving somthing for free.
You are a saint-and Im just not saying that-you are and you so much need a break, could one of the kids come take care of DH and you just take a weekend off-and I mean go to a B & B near by (Im sure one would welcome you) and just sit, relax or better yet SLEEP all weekend? That would be a great Christmas present from your kids-come take care of Dad while I take some R & R that I surley deserve-
You are in my prayers and thoughts!.
Thanks but tomorrow is another day. Laundry is done, bread is made, and the kids get him April/May when I go to Germany. This week I get R&R - I will be out more than in due to City business. I even get an overnight Friday - when I NEED to be getting B & B business but need the get out more. If a certain ponderously, pontificating professor is not there it will be a joy. If he is there, today will have been a great day I did not appreciate.
Chapel time.

Kathleen, when PAII sent out the message about the B&Bs for Vets program, there wasn't one inn in Colorado participating in the program. We signed up, filled the Lodge in one morning, and sent out an SoS to our state organization. Now there are 29 inns in Colorado participating--most of which are full.
In the midst of all your frustrations, know that you have been the focus of something wonderful for so many people. We have had people call us, who couldn't get a room with us (all 12 rooms are full), who thanked us for thinking of Vets and active military personnel.
You have promoted something wonderful and special. I'm so sorry that bad-mannered so-n-so's have been making you crazy and sullying the excellence of your accomplishment.
Make no mistake: there are military personnel who were despairing of anybody noticing their sacrifices for our country for whom this free night has taken on a staggering significance. Ignore the SOBs who are trying to make your life miserable. What you have started has value beyond what you can imagine.
Tom

next go around...next year.....have a seperate email for contact with this Vets program.....have an auto response. Telling them to check the site and listing of participating establishments, balh, blah, blah......
You should not be handling these emails.......

I don't get what would make this person think they are being excluded? Pay it no mind Kathleen, and I'm sorry that this has turned out to be such a hassle...try to do something nice for someone............:(.
I gave a pissy reply because i was sick of getting these - you should see his reply! I should NOT be in the hospitality business.....
I think it was because it came on the heels of at least 10 e-mails from "I am a disabled veteran how do I get a room..." and the are there any rooms in and then e-mails from innkeepers whu am I not on the site yet and others calling and e-mailing why am I not marked full. It takes time to reply to every e-amil from innkeepers and vets and I only have so much of that commodity. I tried to but just getting the lists created and sent on has been a challenge and I am sure it has been just as much a challenge to the webmaster.
I am not disabled but i deal with it every day and it is just as hard on the "abled" who has to conpensate for the can't dos. I do not care who you are - EVERYONE has challenges they have to deal with, some are visible and most are not. We have challenges that are financial, of caring for elderly or disabled, of dealing with nasty jobs and/or bosses, of trying to be all things to the people we love and care for, of meeting the obligations socoety heaps upon one. No one is exempt from challenges. I guess I just get fed up with the ones who think they DESERVE something because they have challenges that get my goat. I come from a long line who live the "suck it up". That said, i need to go back to sucking it up. Thanks for letting me vent.
Is it possible to put something beside that email address to the effect that this is ONLY for Innkeepers who want to participate. They MUST contact inns to make their own arrangements. You should not have to deal with all of these people contacting you. Maybe you all should have gotten a GMAIL address and had an auto reply set up to respond to things like this.

Yesterday was a WHINE day. The huge pile of laundry mixed with lack of sleep mixed with the SOB mixed with the demands on the homefront boiled over. Where better to meltdown than among my friends?
This falls into the shoulda, woulda, coulda category. I do not think any of us expected it to go viral. I had hoped for some decent publicity - both to get the word out to the military and veterans AND for the B & B industry. I knew Joe would get us decent publicity because he is good and knows his craft. There are a lot of things we could have done and would have done had this been expected. The first time something is done is a learning curve. I doubt if the webmaster thought it would be as time consuming as it has become - and neither of us ever thought even innkeepers would have been as demanding as they were. One told me yesterday she was unaware that it was innkeepers doing this. I know my business is basically on hold for now because I do not have the time nor energy to be promoting it. Surprise to others perhaps (it was as I expected it would be) through all of this - MY reservations have NOT increased one iota. Only with my freebies coming home to roost. Not one reservation has come in to date other than my 2 veterans and a freebie I gave our Kiwanis last week.
Yes, I feel great that it is such a good thing. But make no mistake, the holders of the 2 largest pieces of what made this work are the webmaster who created, hosted, and updates the web site and Joe Stevens with pitching the story to the right person AND at the right time. All I did was nag at inns to participate.

Is it possible to put something beside that email address to the effect that this is ONLY for Innkeepers who want to participate. They MUST contact inns to make their own arrangements. You should not have to deal with all of these people contacting you. Maybe you all should have gotten a GMAIL address and had an auto reply set up to respond to things like this.
catlady said:
Is it possible to put something beside that email address to the effect that this is ONLY for Innkeepers who want to participate. They MUST contact inns to make their own arrangements.
It doesn't really matter - the ones who want to whine or be belligerent just call or email everybody in the whole world. Our phone number and/or email is not even on the website - however, we have also received calls from veterans who want to know why there are no inns in Nevada and innkeepers who want to be listed as full. Several people have sent emails to the WV B&B website about the program, even though it is just linked as the beginning of the program. The only way we can stand working on it still is that the feedback from the majority of vets and innkeepers has been very positive. Just like guests, we can't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.

Back