They came ..They went..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
Had a reservation for last night that was made back in May which included the romance package. Couple stated they weren't arriving until late so we left them a note. Woke up this morning, note missing from front desk, walk to the room, door is still open, note was inside the room, (so at least I know they found it) but nothing touched. Champagne, etc all still sitting there. It's definitely a mystery. Didn't get any phone calls from them last night nor email if something was wrong. This will puzzle me for a while, maybe we'll hear from them today. On the bright side, one less room to clean today.

That is just a silly waste of time and money on their part. Probably one who wanted a Hilton luxury and got antique comfy.

Hope you got paid. It is only under extreme conditions that I would refund.

Hope you got paid. It is only under extreme conditions that I would refund..
They paid a 50% deposit, but I am reluctant to run the balance. I'm thinking it was too quiet for them, but who knows. It's just odd.

I hope you come back and tell us what they say. I'm very interested.
It's possible that there was an emergency at home - a kid broke his arm, or the dog got lost or something worse - that has nothing to do with how much they love your inn.

Unfortunately it sounds like "It wasn't what we expected" scenario. It's them and not you! We get that sometimes also, which is why I really try to greet them in person, even if it's late. Many times these people won't stick around to get the real feel of the place and how special it is.

wow. Did they leave the key?
I had guests leave in the middle of the night, also check out right after check in. Big argument the woman said she had asthma and had to have a/c and you know it, man said it's great here, smell the ocean! They left.
But I didn't have self check in so I am very curious about these guests of yours.

We sort of had this on Sunday - we had gone out to an event leaving my parents in charge - couple arrived then not long after they got a call saying an elderly friend who she is power of attorney and executer of her will had died. She knew there was nothing she could do on a sunday but said she just couldn't settle or have a good time so they went paid for the night they hadn't had but I let them off the next night as its busy and I knew it would sell.

What about the champagne and any extras you had ready for them? Did you have extra costs?

What about the champagne and any extras you had ready for them? Did you have extra costs?.
seashanty said:
What about the champagne and any extras you had ready for them? Did you have extra costs?
When I buy GC's for packages and the guests don't show, hey, they're mine! So, yes, you have to pay for the stuff. Altho, some people ask that you mail the GC's to them, they'll use them 'next time'.

Hope you got paid. It is only under extreme conditions that I would refund..
They paid a 50% deposit, but I am reluctant to run the balance. I'm thinking it was too quiet for them, but who knows. It's just odd.
Baygirl said:
If you have in your policies that early departures will still be charged, and they have clicked that they've agreed to your policies, then charge the balance.

What about the champagne and any extras you had ready for them? Did you have extra costs?.
The champagne wasn't opened so that went back in the fridge. Flowers I used for the breakfast tables, so basically we were out 6 chocolate covered strawberries.

I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there.

I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there..
Baygirl said:
We did end up charging the balance on their card.
GOOD FOR YOU!! I've had a couple of no-show situations and I sure charged them. They rent the room, we hold it for them and exclude all other requests for it. If the guest doesn't stay, that's their business, but they still have to pay for the room they rented.

I hope the charge holds, I certainly would have run it. I got a charge back that went back and forth for months. What a mess.
\I'm glad you didn't have lots of incurred expenses on their behalf. I wonder what happened?

It's possible that there was an emergency at home - a kid broke his arm, or the dog got lost or something worse - that has nothing to do with how much they love your inn..
TheBeachHouse said:
It's possible that there was an emergency at home - a kid broke his arm, or the dog got lost or something worse - that has nothing to do with how much they love your inn.
I doubt that very seriously. If that had happened, they would most definitely have left a note.
It is strange and the summer of even stranger things.
I send out texts when a guest's cottage is ready before 3. The quicker they arrive, the earlier I can put my feet up.
I sent a text to a woman who pre-paid 3 nights. No reply, no show. That night, I sent another text and again - nothing. No phone calls no emails, no nothing. I could have sold that room 5 times but didn't know if she would show or not.

I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there..
Baygirl said:
I have to agree with Breakfast Diva... They came, it wasn't what they were thinking and left. We did end up charging the balance on their card. We figure we didn't have anything to lose if they challenged the charge. So we'll see... We did not get a call today or email from them. The mystery is out there.
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless they come up with some cockamamy reason - unacceptable conditions, etc.
Ugh, this summer is making me nuts.

Baygirl said:
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless they come up with some cockamamy reason - unacceptable conditions, etc.
Ugh, this summer is making me nuts.
Iris said:
I don't think they would win should they dispute the charge unless...
A few years ago somebody here said to win a disputed charge on something like this, you must have your cancellation/no-show policy posted on your home page.

It's possible that there was an emergency at home - a kid broke his arm, or the dog got lost or something worse - that has nothing to do with how much they love your inn..
TheBeachHouse said:
I doubt that very seriously. If that had happened, they would most definitely have left a note.
I send out texts when a guest's cottage is ready before 3. The quicker they arrive, the earlier I can put my feet up.
I sent a text to a woman who pre-paid 3 nights. No reply, no show. That night, I sent another text and again - nothing. No phone calls no emails, no nothing. I could have sold that room 5 times but didn't know if she would show or not.
Iris said:
TheBeachHouse said:
My Dad's dream situation.... He was the head maintenance guy at an inn in New England when I was a child. He often said about tourists, "Just send us your money and stay home." He was the guy the owner sent to fulfill the guests' whims whatever it was.

Back