They haven't even checked in yet and I've already got a headache

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
This PITA made a reservation last week. They want a king size bed on the first floor for 3 days. We can help them out for two of the days, but on the 3rd day we tell them they would have to move rooms since
the room they want has already been booked for the weekend. The room they have to move to is upstairs with a queen size bed. After several emails going back and forth, this is after she has called a few times, she says she'll take the 3rd night and will move rooms, but is uncomfortable with the idea of moving. I email her back and tell her as much as we'd love to have them stay (choke choke) maybe it would be best if they find a place where they can stay in the same room all three nights or stay with us for the two in the room they want and check out and go someplace else since she is uncomfortable about moving rooms. Nope, she is insisting she wants to stay with us.
Now I get an email that she needs 4 add'l pillows on the bed since they like to read with alot of pillows. I advise her we already have 4, so she would like 8! YES, 8 pillows. then another email this morning...Forgot to mention my husband needs an outlet next to the bed for his sleep machine..If not we'll need to supply a heavy duty extension cord. No problem..outlet is next to the bed. I already have a headache and they don't arrive until this afternoon.
I did check with the guest who is scheduled to check into the room they're in to see if they'd think about another room, but they're set on the one they picked. Can't blame them...they planned ahead and made their reservation well in advance. The PITA on the other hand made last minute reservations in our peak leaf peeping season and expects to get exactly what she wants. Oh well...thanks for listening. I'm hoping it gets better after she gets here, but my eyelid is already twitching before she even arrives.

I hope this is one of those guests who super plan and turn out to be nice. Some of our fussy email guests have turned out this way, but not all of them. I have my fingers crossed.....
RIki

I hope this is one of those guests who super plan and turn out to be nice. Some of our fussy email guests have turned out this way, but not all of them. I have my fingers crossed.....
RIki.
egoodell said:
I hope this is one of those guests who super plan and turn out to be nice.
I'm a planner. Maybe not a super-planner, but a planner. Part of my planning means I always travel with my own extension cord and I don't make special requests of innkeepers. If I need something, I'm more likely to go out and buy it than to bother the innkeeper.
Are you saying they're not all like me?
wink_smile.gif

I had these same guests. review "my cousin vinny" guests. And guess what? Day three they ended up leaving, and I let them go with a smile on my face! They tried to cancel the night before as well after making all their demands, and I TOO were willing to move the other guests - who were here for a special occasion and they were not.
Baygirl I feel you pain, I can commiserate with it!
These were the guests who were such pitas before arrival that I hugged them when they checked in, I felt as if I knew them like a bad rash that wouldn't go away. She required a special meal and AFTER I PURCHASED IT ALL just for her did not eat even ONE BITE. I could go on and on...you all know the story, the same same as all pitas...
Please don't let the squeaky wheel steal your thunder Baygirl!

If the availability calendar indicates what is available when and where........so be it.............if these particular guests have to move to another room for the 3rd night of their stay.....so be it.
They were fortunate to have the accomodations they wanted for the first 2 nights...and that is that.
I wouldn't consider bothering other guests if they had booked earlier.
You snooze you lose.......last minute reservations, you get what is available......end of story.

This is not necessarily a PITA. This is someone with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and gastric reflux who may just be trying to make sure that they will have what they need to be comfortable. They may also have trouble with stairs.
I have moved guests' belongings while they were out for the day in order to make everything work out. They're probably nice folks with health issues.

I have sleep apnea.....I don't see what the problem is......acid reflux?......that aint no reason either.
Stairs, maybe
I don't appreciate if I had book accomodations in advance of another party..being asked if I wouldn't mind an alternate. I'm good hearted and will accomodate situations....I don't like it.......This has happened upon arrival, has always been accompanied with some upgrade or some offering.
On the occassions I have been asked to accept an alternate......I always ask why.....what reason?.......95% of the time the reason is BS.
Making some what last minute arrangements.....I am only offered to what is available.....I accept that due to my timing of making arrangements. If I am not able to find what I want or like at one place of business.....I look elsewhere.
I think it wrong to expect a previous booking to be swindled into making changes.....unless there was compensation.
B&B's are not cookie cutter hotels where most all rooms are identical.....I view the rooms available and book for what I am comfortable with.....I would not be a happy camper having to move to a pink room

One Day you just heightened my adversity to moving guests, I have only done it once in 7 years.
I feel the same way, like an innkeeper thinking it is no big deal to move me to another room when I love the morning light, I pick the room for that reason, having the curtains drawn to meet the sunrise. It really is a big deal for me much of the time, the reason I chose that room in the first place. Not for the blue bedspread. Or one has a bath one has a shower, say I had a knee replacement and need to just step into a shower.
So there are a ton of little reasons innkeepers may not be aware of. I just refuse to let a squeaky wheel run the show.
The other thing in this day and age, with cell phones glued to people's ears and texting is they expect everyone to bugged all the time and yet not bothered. I am just not this way, do not call be 15 times on the way in to check in, I won't be happy about it. You are not the only person in the world. When they get here and I had not answered their last 10 calls from the road and I ask "Oh was it urgent? As I had 5 other rooms I was checking in when you called" they respond, "Oh we just wanted to know if we should park in front or back" or something super silly. Something that is already dealt with on the printed directions and confirmation they have in their hands when they walk in.

I have sleep apnea.....I don't see what the problem is......acid reflux?......that aint no reason either.
Stairs, maybe
I don't appreciate if I had book accomodations in advance of another party..being asked if I wouldn't mind an alternate. I'm good hearted and will accomodate situations....I don't like it.......This has happened upon arrival, has always been accompanied with some upgrade or some offering.
On the occassions I have been asked to accept an alternate......I always ask why.....what reason?.......95% of the time the reason is BS.
Making some what last minute arrangements.....I am only offered to what is available.....I accept that due to my timing of making arrangements. If I am not able to find what I want or like at one place of business.....I look elsewhere.
I think it wrong to expect a previous booking to be swindled into making changes.....unless there was compensation.
B&B's are not cookie cutter hotels where most all rooms are identical.....I view the rooms available and book for what I am comfortable with.....I would not be a happy camper having to move to a pink room.
One Day said:
With all due respect, you are not entirely correct. Your condition is obviously not severe.
However, there are those individuals who either require breathing equipment for sleeping and for those with severe reflux have to sleep sitting up.
I had sleep apnea and that was so severe that I finally had to have corrective surgery to open my airways. I also have acid reflux and until it could be brought under control with medication, I had to sleep upright. Don't be so quick to judge.

The reason for the 4 add'l pillows was not for sleeping but for reading at night. I'm on day 3, last day.......thank goodness. Husband is as nice as can be, when he can get a word in. She is just used to having someone wait on her hand and foot. She was still adament about staying on the first floor when she had to move rooms. I told her sorry, but we had to stick with the original plan...2nd floor room. They are both fine with doing stairs. The only problem with her moving to the second floor was the 4 large suitcases and 2 small bags (for a 3 day stay) she didn't want to move up there. I said take what you need upstairs and I'll store the bags in the closet downstairs for you. That problem was solved.
Then she asked if she could get her frittata on the softer side...OK no problem.. Today can I get the frittata softer than yesterday...OK no problem. Can you please call a hair salon? I don't have the energy to wash my own hair today. OK no problem.
I am to the point I don't want to walk by her for fear of what she's going to ask for next. Breath, breath, breath!!

Tex
I have accute sleep apnea.....when doing the overnight assessment it was found it was causing me to wake 90 times an hour....I have the machine that is at the max setting.
Acid reflux.....several years back I was on presciption pepcid.....I have gone through 2 boughts of ulcers....sleeping upright......been there done that.

Tex
I have accute sleep apnea.....when doing the overnight assessment it was found it was causing me to wake 90 times an hour....I have the machine that is at the max setting.
Acid reflux.....several years back I was on presciption pepcid.....I have gone through 2 boughts of ulcers....sleeping upright......been there done that..
One Day said:
Tex
Acid reflux.....several years back I was on presciption pepcid.....I have gone through 2 boughts of ulcers....sleeping upright......been there done that.
Then how can you say "it ain't no reason"? There is every reason. I don't like dealing with other people's health issues, but we are in the hospitality business and sometimes you have to go the extra mile to see to someone else's comfort.

The reason for the 4 add'l pillows was not for sleeping but for reading at night. I'm on day 3, last day.......thank goodness. Husband is as nice as can be, when he can get a word in. She is just used to having someone wait on her hand and foot. She was still adament about staying on the first floor when she had to move rooms. I told her sorry, but we had to stick with the original plan...2nd floor room. They are both fine with doing stairs. The only problem with her moving to the second floor was the 4 large suitcases and 2 small bags (for a 3 day stay) she didn't want to move up there. I said take what you need upstairs and I'll store the bags in the closet downstairs for you. That problem was solved.
Then she asked if she could get her frittata on the softer side...OK no problem.. Today can I get the frittata softer than yesterday...OK no problem. Can you please call a hair salon? I don't have the energy to wash my own hair today. OK no problem.
I am to the point I don't want to walk by her for fear of what she's going to ask for next. Breath, breath, breath!!.
I am truly grateful to you. You allowed me to dodge another PITA bullet. Bless you! They found you and not me.

Tex......
I 100% agree with you the hospitality and providing to the comfort of guests
This was not about any health issue.
It was about a late scheduling guest giving a hard time about not having a particular room they wanted for the full 3 nights stay.......Due to that room being booked in advance of them for their 3rd night.
As far as the apnea goes.....it realy is a none issue......I haven't seen all that many rooms that did not have a night stand and a light and possibly a clock........There would be electric for those items....no?
Sleeping upright?......can do that with any bed

Tex......
It was about a late scheduling guest giving a hard time about not having a particular room they wanted for the full 3 nights stay.......Due to that room being booked in advance of them for their 3rd night.
As far as the apnea goes.....it realy is a none issue......I haven't seen all that many rooms that did not have a night stand and a light and possibly a clock........There would be electric for those items....no?
Sleeping upright?......can do that with any bed.
You would not have been able to plug in your CPAP machine or whatever where I just stayed. Seriously...
Unless you were an Eagle Scout and had brought a power strip with you and had crawled under the bed and managed to get your arm to the plug which was directly behind the post at the head of a bed which was made out of extremely heavy oak.

Tex......
You would not have been able to plug in your CPAP machine or whatever where I just stayed. Seriously...
Unless you were an Eagle Scout and had brought a power strip with you and had crawled under the bed and managed to get your arm to the plug which was directly behind the post at the head of a bed which was made out of extremely heavy oak.
Samster said:
My point exactly. We just need to be cognizant of these kinds of issues.
Quite honestly, though we have bedside tables AND accessible plugs, we never even thought about a CPAP machine when we placed the plugs.
There is another thread currently running about electronic items (i.e. computers, iphones, ipads etc.) in the rooms and their requirements. I guess we really need to start thinking 21st century in regards to the possible needs of our guest.

Tex......
Samster said:
My point exactly. We just need to be cognizant of these kinds of issues.
Quite honestly, though we have bedside tables AND accessible plugs, we never even thought about a CPAP machine when we placed the plugs.
There is another thread currently running about electronic items (i.e. computers, iphones, ipads etc.) in the rooms and their requirements. I guess we really need to start thinking 21st century in regards to the possible needs of our guest.
My plan is to put floor-level wall plugs on each side of the bed for permanent fixtures (lamp, clock radio, etc.) and also put several plugs up at night stand level for guests to use.
Same arrangement at the desk. I'll have empty sockets available at table top level for plugging in the guest's stuff (laptop, charge phone, etc.).
These waist-level plugs should also be handy for housekeeping to plug in the vacuum and other appliances.

I have had people stay with those machines I always provide power strips and plug them in for them (have preped in advance if I know or have a stack ready for these occasions) had one chap with one and he walked with a stick and had booked one of our top floor single rooms (he knew what he was getting) never complained and was lovely. felt awful every time I saw him comming down the stairs (I was more bothered than him LOL) It is the people who don't tell you and then make a fuss when that is the only room left drives me mad. What I find is people who have an actual serious problem tend to be less trouble than people who just think they do. ie have to have a ground floor room due to having a million cases.

Back