'They must be royalty'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guests are told what breakfast is when they arrive. Given the opportunity to mention breakfast needs when booking. When asked if she would like bacon with ther FT this morning, a guests asked, 'Isn't there an egg dish?' Now, if all 10 guests had not sat down at the same time I would have gotten scrambled eggs for her, but not with the entire house sitting there listening.
So I told her it was just the one breakfast.
I asked hubs if anyone had mentioned a different breakfast to him? Nope. Ran and looked on her reservation form, nothing.
When they left the table (breakfast uneaten) we had a hurried conversation in the kitchen (wide open to guests) about what she was told, did she mention eggs to anyone, etc.
After determining this request was a bolt from the blue, hubs said (and I laughed right out loud), 'They must be royalty.'

What did I say about you being a PITA magnet???? There has got to be something you all can do about these guests you are getting? LIke maybe hire an innsitter and head out of town....just joking...It is laughable but I know it is so wearing on you. You are in my thoughts....can I send you something....like fifth of whiskey????
confused_smile.gif

Unless special dietary restrictions require something different...SORRY FOLKS..this is breakfast..>TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...It is complimentary...so forget about a discount...you get what you get! GOOD GRIEF!!!!

What did I say about you being a PITA magnet???? There has got to be something you all can do about these guests you are getting? LIke maybe hire an innsitter and head out of town....just joking...It is laughable but I know it is so wearing on you. You are in my thoughts....can I send you something....like fifth of whiskey????
confused_smile.gif

Unless special dietary restrictions require something different...SORRY FOLKS..this is breakfast..>TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...It is complimentary...so forget about a discount...you get what you get! GOOD GRIEF!!!!.
Absolutely! I tell guests breakfasts vary each morning and it's cooks choice and I'm the cook! They laugh and that's the end of it.

Ah, you've been deemed worthy of a visit from Queen Pita. How nice for you.
The irony is that if she really were royalty, her dietary requirements would have been made VERY clear long in advance of her arrival.

Stop asking if they want something different! Just plate it, serve it, and go on!! If they don't want the main course, they can eat the fruit, coffee, and juice. Yeesch...if someone like this asked for eggs, I wouldn't offer to make them scrambled eggs. I would smile & say that I used them all up in whatever else I was serving. I go way out of the way for my guests but this is too much for my little brain early in the morning.

Stop asking if they want something different! Just plate it, serve it, and go on!! If they don't want the main course, they can eat the fruit, coffee, and juice. Yeesch...if someone like this asked for eggs, I wouldn't offer to make them scrambled eggs. I would smile & say that I used them all up in whatever else I was serving. I go way out of the way for my guests but this is too much for my little brain early in the morning..
I agree. Yes I will go out of my way to make sure a guest is satisfied IF they let me know in advance. If after I have asked them on the phone, confirmed in an email and they still haven't told me...well tooooooo bad!

Stop asking if they want something different! Just plate it, serve it, and go on!! If they don't want the main course, they can eat the fruit, coffee, and juice. Yeesch...if someone like this asked for eggs, I wouldn't offer to make them scrambled eggs. I would smile & say that I used them all up in whatever else I was serving. I go way out of the way for my guests but this is too much for my little brain early in the morning..
I didn't ask if she wanted something different. SHE asked to have something different. And I did plate it and serve it and she left it.

I didn't ask if she wanted something different. SHE asked to have something different. And I did plate it and serve it and she left it.
She was too late!! Loser!!! You did the right thing. You serve what you have and if they don't want it...TOOOOOOO BAD!!!

I agree. Yes I will go out of my way to make sure a guest is satisfied IF they let me know in advance. If after I have asked them on the phone, confirmed in an email and they still haven't told me...well tooooooo bad!
catlady said:
That's why I went to check...did I miss an allergy or something when I planned the breakfast? Had she said something about having eggs? Nope.
Tomorrow it's sugar, honey, flour and meat that's on the 'no thanks' list. Crustless quiche is on the menu. Then there is the 'no chocolate' that is coming tomorrow. Poor kid. She explained the whole thing to me...got violently sick after eating chocolate and just cannot stand the sight of it any longer. Not allergic, just a gut reaction to it at this point.

catlady said:
That's why I went to check...did I miss an allergy or something when I planned the breakfast? Had she said something about having eggs? Nope.
Tomorrow it's sugar, honey, flour and meat that's on the 'no thanks' list. Crustless quiche is on the menu. Then there is the 'no chocolate' that is coming tomorrow. Poor kid. She explained the whole thing to me...got violently sick after eating chocolate and just cannot stand the sight of it any longer. Not allergic, just a gut reaction to it at this point.
yep, that is fine...at least she told you in advance. Those are the kind of guests you want:)

That's what I said...if she asked for something, what I would say. If I was serving the plate, I would just say this is our breakfast of the day. I would be nice about it, but matter of fact. I don't have as many rooms as you, but I'm not cooking a different breakfast for everyone. Let me know ahead of time, fine it's no problem. Been there, done that. But you can't order up here when you sit down. We are NOT a restaurant!!!!!
If someone asked for a different main course as I was serving juice or the fruit, I would offer to just serve the other parts. Whatever....
I'm not going to get all aggravated about breakfast, which is complimentary!

That's what I said...if she asked for something, what I would say. If I was serving the plate, I would just say this is our breakfast of the day. I would be nice about it, but matter of fact. I don't have as many rooms as you, but I'm not cooking a different breakfast for everyone. Let me know ahead of time, fine it's no problem. Been there, done that. But you can't order up here when you sit down. We are NOT a restaurant!!!!!
If someone asked for a different main course as I was serving juice or the fruit, I would offer to just serve the other parts. Whatever....
It threw me. They were the first table to sit down, but they had the newspaper spread out so I didn't bother to start serving. Then I turned around and everyone was seated!
So I brought their fruit and juice and that's when she asked about the egg dish. I thought, 'How did I miss that?' I go thru all the reservation notes while planning the breakfast.
The more I think about it the more I think that the OPO's (original previous owners) might have had a 'menu' you picked from. When they were leaving, hubs was trying to get a handle on why they might have thought they got to tell us what they wanted so he asked if they'd ever been here before. They said, 'We were here with the last owners.' (Actually, they missed a set of owners.) And that was probably it. HE was a chef. Maybe he cooked to order.

Okay the answer is:
Made to order breakfasts.
Let them choose everything and cook it up. Throw one of those paper hats on dear ol' R and yell ORDER UP when you slap the ticket on the counter.
Make it into a diner. If he can make to order everything else, why not?
But they better TIP like they do in a diner.
The breakfast nazi in Carlsbad San Diego... You stood in line, quietly. Ups drivers, families. One at a time you stepped forward.
You were asked:
Eggs - you answered: Scrambled
Meat - you answered - bacon
Bread - you answered - whole wheat
Juice - you answered - OJ
Coffee - you answered decaf black
You paid, you stepped aside. It is a fantastic place to eat, btw, an experience! The line goes around the block to be abused by this place.

Okay the answer is:
Let them choose everything and cook it up. Throw one of those paper hats on dear ol' R and yell ORDER UP when you slap the ticket on the counter.
The breakfast nazi in Carlsbad San Diego... You stood in line, quietly. Ups drivers, families. One at a time you stepped forward.
You were asked:
Eggs - you answered: Scrambled
Meat - you answered - bacon
Bread - you answered - whole wheat
Juice - you answered - OJ
Coffee - you answered decaf black
You paid, you stepped aside. It is a fantastic place to eat, btw, an experience! The line goes around the block to be abused by this place..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Okay the answer is:
OK, I'm laughing here because I have actually thought of having little slips of paper I hang in the kitchen that say things like 'full' 'no sausage' 'no toast'. And, then I get a little hat & uniform like Flo, start chewing gum and sass all the guests. 'Well, kiss mah grits.' Yeah, I could do that.
But, no, he won't do cooked to order because he won't mess around with eggs. If you have to have eggs, and we're not having quiche, you get scrambled.

It threw me. They were the first table to sit down, but they had the newspaper spread out so I didn't bother to start serving. Then I turned around and everyone was seated!
So I brought their fruit and juice and that's when she asked about the egg dish. I thought, 'How did I miss that?' I go thru all the reservation notes while planning the breakfast.
The more I think about it the more I think that the OPO's (original previous owners) might have had a 'menu' you picked from. When they were leaving, hubs was trying to get a handle on why they might have thought they got to tell us what they wanted so he asked if they'd ever been here before. They said, 'We were here with the last owners.' (Actually, they missed a set of owners.) And that was probably it. HE was a chef. Maybe he cooked to order.
OK...you've had enough experience with this by now. I don't know how you had the time to go look all that up! When I'm serving and cooking, there's no time for anything but attending to that. I would have asked her, "Did you advise us of an allergy when you booked?" or something like that. I am waaaaaaaay too flexible about most everything, but I'm not going to cook a bunch of different complimentary breakfasts at the last minute. Sorry......
Maybe JBJ is right, to a point. You need to go to a simple 3 item "pick your entree menu" or something to get rid of this aggravation that you have.

OK...you've had enough experience with this by now. I don't know how you had the time to go look all that up! When I'm serving and cooking, there's no time for anything but attending to that. I would have asked her, "Did you advise us of an allergy when you booked?" or something like that. I am waaaaaaaay too flexible about most everything, but I'm not going to cook a bunch of different complimentary breakfasts at the last minute. Sorry......
Maybe JBJ is right, to a point. You need to go to a simple 3 item "pick your entree menu" or something to get rid of this aggravation that you have.
Samster said:
OK...you've had enough experience with this by now. I don't know how you had the time to go look all that up! When I'm serving and cooking, there's no time for anything but attending to that.
My office is steps from the kitchen. I always have the guest system running in case we get calls. And, it's not just me in the kitchen.

Back