They pay, they stay .......

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
Hi all .... you know me under my B&B name, but because this is nothing but one long bitch-fest, I've chosen to go incognito for the first time. The following are some "conversational" excerpts from some guests that left today:
Check in guests ..... make sure they have everything they need, ask if they would like turn-down service, explain exactly what turn-down service is and go back to ironing.
Knock knock …. I just wanted to remind you that we’re going to need some extra pillows.
No problem …. I thought the four extras I put on your bed (based on your request when you made the reservation) would be enough, but I’ll happily add some more when I do turn-down this evening
Knock knock ….. Would it be OK if we have some extra towels so I can dry my hair.
No problem …. Let me get you some more towels and add them to the basket of four additional towels I left by the tub because you requested them when you made your reservation
Knock knock …. I checked the bed and the four extra pillows are going to be more than enough. I really appreciate the mix of synthetic and down ….. but ….. what order would you like me to use them in …..
Umm – I don’t think I understand
Well, the ones with the stiff cotton covers are going to be a little uncomfortable, so I’m assuming they go at the bottom.
Don’t worry, those stiff covers come off when I do turn-down and you’ll be left with a nice pile of pillows and soft pillowcases
Oh – you do turn-down. I love turn-down, that’s a really nice touch…… so you’re saying I don’t have to do it myself.
Yup – that’s exactly what I’m saying.
Oh yes - I also found (tripped over more like) the extra towels you left.
Knock knock …. I really hate to disturb you but it’s important that my husband has a medically necessary nutritional supplement before we go out to dinner but he has to make it with skim milk. Would it be too much trouble to have some.
…. You mean other than the carafe of skim milk that, at your request, I put in the guest fridge, making sure that I showed you exactly where it was when I presented you with a mixing glass and a small whisk. (the milk was still sitting there, untouched, when they checked out)
….. well I wasn’t sure if that was meant for us and didn’t want to use someone else’s carafe of skim milk that’s sitting in the fridge exactly where you said it would be.
Knock knock ……. Your disposable Dixie cups are a little small – do you have the next size up
Why yes – I happen to have some of the next size up. Let me present you with a short-stack.
Knock knock ….. Could we please get a key to our room and please be very sure to lock it every time you go in and out .
Next morning.
I know I said that our breakfasts absolutely HAD to be no dairy (except skim milk) no eggs (except whites) no meat or seafood, no cheese of any kind but that crab quiche made with heavy cream and two cups of cheese that you made just enough of for your other guests looks delicious. Could I have that instead of the meal that you created specially for us.
That evening, as I’m about to sit down to my first meal out for weeks - a belated birthday treat.
Phone rings – hi – we felt soooo relaxed that we decided not to lock our room, however someone (yes me) appears to have locked it while we were out. Could you please come back and unlock it for us.

Unbelieveable.
pita.gif

Wow! YOU never get those people, how the heck did that happen?
Happy B'day, too!

Come to think of it, road construction isn't all that bad. At least I don't have to deal with people like THAT.
sad_smile.gif

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear 'i think i know who you are', happy birthday to you.
aren't guests like this just the best?!
(hugs)
chef.gif

As mentioned in another thread.....You can't fix stupid.
smiley-whacky011.gif

Lesson to be learned. Point out the extra pillows and towels during orientation, emphasize that you are preparing a "special" breakfast just for them instead of <insert the really good breakfast that you're serving the other guests here> and label the milk with their name. Put it all on them next time.

Extra kudos sent with this post to you Maineiac. You know we all love ya!
teeth_smile.gif

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear 'i think i know who you are', happy birthday to you.
aren't guests like this just the best?!
(hugs)
chef.gif
Thank you Dear Heart !!!! It's the passive agressive guests that I find hardest to deal with.

BTW, guests staying here are loving the newly opened bar & restaurant and want to know if it'll be open year round?

You are an Angel...UK Maineiac.... Got a call last night from my Answering Service "lady wants some information " I take the call ,she wants to stay this weekend, has a dog.....more question...says she saw me on line....more questions. I told her I was full this Fri/Sat. .Oh she wanted to stay 4 days. Told her, dogs only in the Cottage as stated on my site....more question as she might stay in the future... I told her to see my site as it has lots of pictures and info..... She is insulted and tells me" she's sorry to have bothered me" and slams the phone down.... I have Caller ID, even calls from the Answering Service calls.... It is possible she migh have been a problem guest and life goes on....Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
wink_smile.gif

BTW, guests staying here are loving the newly opened bar & restaurant and want to know if it'll be open year round?.
Yup - open year round. Thanks for the feedback. It's been a real rollercoaster. One 'aspect' of the place was creating feedback that was about as negative as it is possible to get. Everything else was getting positive feedback. The 'aspect' has been carved out of the picture and everyone is so much happier.

I feel like crying and they weren't even my own guests! That's sooo awful!!!
And I have to say that it's something I would read as an aspiring and thing, oh, that's terrible, but now as a perspiring in high season I read it and it touches me so viscerally I want to weep.
And on your birthday no less! The unmitigated gall!
G&T and thank God she's gone...
=)
Kk.

There aren't enough drugs in the world to hold me back from a guest like that! Wow.

There aren't enough drugs in the world to hold me back from a guest like that! Wow..
Willowpondgj said:
There aren't enough drugs in the world to hold me back from a guest like that! Wow.
brings a whole new meaning to needy doesn't it. I could not handle a person like that, I would not answer the door, I would not answer the phone, I would not not not eat green eggs and ham! Not for her not for anyone!

There aren't enough drugs in the world to hold me back from a guest like that! Wow..
Willowpondgj said:
brings a whole new meaning to needy doesn't it. I could not handle a person like that, I would not answer the door, I would not answer the phone, I would not not not eat green eggs and ham! Not for her not for anyone!
You know better than to ask for green eggs and ham at a B&B! Unless it's a Suess themed inn!

We had a similar guest a couple of weeks ago, but not as bad (I think). It was awful.
=)
Kk.

I am floored that such a person would ever inflict her presence on you od all people. Just from posts, I think I know you well enough to say your bubbly personality would charm a donation from a pre-ghosts Scrooge! Happy belated birthday.

That one seems to have taken the "turn your brain off while on vacation" concept to an excruciating extreme.
What age group?
Could they have been suffering from Alzheimer's?

Back