Things out of an innkeepers control?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What things have you found are out of your control that guests may not be too pleased about?
My short list is as follows:
Sunday evenings restaurants are closed except Applebees.
Guests talking on cell phones.
Guests making "noises"
Weather
I am sure there are things a guest might never mention. But these are the few that have been mentioned
How do you handle this? What do you say to the guests?

Here it is the randomness of the shopping hours. Some stores close at 6, some at 9.
Not having the right tea is another one. Shocked voice asking, 'You don't have camomile?' Or, running out of a tea flavor. Or not having the juice they always drink.
I do ask guests to put their cellphone on vibrate as not everyone wants to wake up at 2 AM to The 1812 Overture. That doesn't make the guests whisper, tho.

RE: no restaurant Sunday night - I don't know if you can do this or want to do this, but when our guests are going on the wine tours and know that they will be pooped when they get back we direct them to a wonderful gourmet shop at the end of our road where they can buy a super gourmet picnic dinner. They put it in the fridge in the tasting room and enjoy it when they come back from their tour after a nap!
As to the other stuff, that is pretty much the way life goes and I don't know what you could do about it....
RIki

RE: no restaurant Sunday night - I don't know if you can do this or want to do this, but when our guests are going on the wine tours and know that they will be pooped when they get back we direct them to a wonderful gourmet shop at the end of our road where they can buy a super gourmet picnic dinner. They put it in the fridge in the tasting room and enjoy it when they come back from their tour after a nap!
As to the other stuff, that is pretty much the way life goes and I don't know what you could do about it....
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
These are guests who arrive on a Sunday check in. Then check in and then are shocked that most restaurants are closed. Yes we have a Mexican place - but they always scoff at that, and then telling them Applebees is like hitting them over the head. Dare I suggest McDonald's ha ha
The worst was a couple from VT/NYC and they wanted to "go out" I had to explain this is a small southern town, there ain't no goin' out, and not only that no alcohol on a Sunday. We're not NYC, we're not even a city, just a town.
Back of my mind I was kinda grateful for that, as I anticipated possible issues from that couple should they have "gone out" since they drove 9 hours at that point to here.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
These are guests who arrive on a Sunday check in. Then check in and then are shocked that most restaurants are closed. Yes we have a Mexican place - but they always scoff at that, and then telling them Applebees is like hitting them over the head. Dare I suggest McDonald's ha ha
The worst was a couple from VT/NYC and they wanted to "go out" I had to explain this is a small southern town, there ain't no goin' out, and not only that no alcohol on a Sunday. We're not NYC, we're not even a city, just a town.
Back of my mind I was kinda grateful for that, as I anticipated possible issues from that couple should they have "gone out" since they drove 9 hours at that point to here.
Many of my guests are surprised anything IS open on Sunday, at all.

Well do you have a good shop where you could pick up a picnic and have it in their room? Do it as a package for Sunday Night check ins, noting that restaurants are closed on Sunday. Price it out and double the cost. There might be someone who actually READS and will order it and you will make a little money and take care of the problem at the same time. Would that work?
RIki

Well do you have a good shop where you could pick up a picnic and have it in their room? Do it as a package for Sunday Night check ins, noting that restaurants are closed on Sunday. Price it out and double the cost. There might be someone who actually READS and will order it and you will make a little money and take care of the problem at the same time. Would that work?
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
That's a nice compromise if she can make that work!

the ferry schedule changes ... fewer trips to the island and no winter sightseeing cruises (plus, most things on the island are closed for the winter)
the store ... shorter hours
the ice cream shop ... ditto
the restaurants ... both are closed all winter
the antique shop and the art galleries ... ditto
the lighthouse museum ... double ditto
this time of year, before i close, i have to mention to folks the above when they book or i get unhappy guests, hands on hips, 'just what are we supposed to do?'

oh ... and
there is no cellphone service here
guest: 'it doesn't matter ... i get a signal everywhere'
me: 'that's great! but we have no cell towers, and there is no cellphone service here.'
guest: 'where? at the inn?'
me: 'yes. we get no cellphone service here at the inn ... you MIGHT catch a signal at the dock, but probably not.'
guest: 'okay.'
checkin time comes .... guest: 'look at this!!! i get NO cellphone service here!'
smileystooges.gif

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
No.
Sunday night after working all weekend (well month and summer this time of year), I am hoping they will eat on the road before getting here. Many get here late, I have a couple hours of family time and that is it! These are the days I warn the aspirings about... I know El ,mentioned she never had Sunday night check ins, we ALWAYS DO. I can't block them off.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Bree said:
egoodell said:
RIki
That is what I just replied to, this is something out of an innkeepers control, I am not wanting to make it work. I can cook meals for guests here any night of the week, but I don't want to. I barely have a life now as it is, and my family gets to eat junk this time of year and all I long for is SLEEP.
sad_smile.gif
I was not looking for a solution, there are plenty. I was sharing that is an issue with guests from out of the area, shocked restaurants are closed.

the ferry schedule changes ... fewer trips to the island and no winter sightseeing cruises (plus, most things on the island are closed for the winter)
this time of year, before i close, i have to mention to folks the above when they book or i get unhappy guests, hands on hips, 'just what are we supposed to do?'.
seashanty said:
this time of year, before i close, i have to mention to folks the above when they book or i get unhappy guests, hands on hips, 'just what are we supposed to do?'
same here wanting to shop/antiquing on sundays. sol

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
We, too, are in a town that rolls up it's sidewalks at dusk. Hard to explain that to people who are sometimes just hitting their stride at 9 p.m.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
We, too, are in a town that rolls up it's sidewalks at dusk. Hard to explain that to people who are sometimes just hitting their stride at 9 p.m.
penelope said:
they want to go out to eat at 10pm...not happenin' round here. they must have missed the one horse on the way in. that is the way i like it and hope it never changes. lived in the city, San Diego, Sydney and Seattle, prefer small town usa.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
No.
Sunday night after working all weekend (well month and summer this time of year), I am hoping they will eat on the road before getting here. Many get here late, I have a couple hours of family time and that is it! These are the days I warn the aspirings about... I know El ,mentioned she never had Sunday night check ins, we ALWAYS DO. I can't block them off.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Why is that? I practically never have someone here on Sunday night, let alone checking in on a Sunday. What do they come there for? Business? Traveling through? (I.e., how can I get them here?)
=)
Kk.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
penelope said:
they want to go out to eat at 10pm...not happenin' round here. they must have missed the one horse on the way in. that is the way i like it and hope it never changes. lived in the city, San Diego, Sydney and Seattle, prefer small town usa.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
. they must have missed the one horse on the way in.
Funny you should mention that...I live in the middle of the Amish. It is commonplace to see the horses/buggies here. I would miss that if I ever moved.

No control over the guest who snores so loud I can hear it downstairs. (I am not going upstairs and tell them to roll over!)
That after 2 months of sunshine, it rains on their weekend.
The storm washed out the trail.
The storm washed out the connector road so they have to come in via that nasty hill.

Things beyond our control: the physical infirmities of our guests.
Had an older fellow at breakfast complain "Your stairs! Your stairs are killing me!" He wasn't joking, either, so I was worried something happened, maybe the banister came off in his hand, maybe he slipped on the runner and fell, but something the matter with my stairs. BTW, when he booked an upstairs room I asked him if he would prefer a downstairs room (I ask when they sound older) but no, he wanted that room and "stairs aren't a problem".
So I asked him what's the matter with my stairs and he told me he has a bad knee. Hmm. So it's not my stairs, it's his knee. But he doesn't see it that way. As I'm trying to think of what to say to him, his wife chimes in and asks why he didn't book a downstairs room. Him: "my knee was fine then".
Yeesh.

Back