Things that distract you in B&B Room Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What are a couple things that immediately put you off, or distract you in a B&B Guest Room Photo?
Framed artwork not centered, waste receptacles, window a/c units, small grainy images... ??

Empty TP roll - there is a photo I viewed recently from the forum with the tp empty, just middle cardboard thingy there in the photo.
embaressed_smile.gif

White walls, no curtains or blinds and blah furnishings...no color or character. Ucky

I don't like to see widow views with phone lines in the way. I don't like to see a bedspread that is uneven or window air conditioners.

electric cords. i know they exist, but i don't like to see them in pictures.
wrinkles on beds.
this is not a b&b thing, but one of my sister's wedding photos at the house ... all pretty, with her dress and veil arranged on this big curving sofa, and the bouquets ... you know the kind. this portrait piece, totally staged. and behind her, hanging from the window curtain, is a coat hanger. she bought the picture, but i thought it was ruined. a professional photographer, too.

Crooked pillows on the bed, or wrinkles in the comforter. Poor lighting is by far the worst distraction though, makes everything look bad.

Crooked pillows on the bed, or wrinkles in the comforter. Poor lighting is by far the worst distraction though, makes everything look bad..
I agree...I shudder when seeing B&B website photos where no lights are on in any room. I see that alot on the MLS too, which also bugs me. If you're trying to sell ANYTHING using photos, shine the best and most light on it possible!

I like this thread! If we are just talking photographs:
Bedspreads with great big orange and yellow flowers...yuk!
Electrical cords
Half open doors
aerial view of a room
Toilet seats up
glass glare
shadows

I discovered this group does not like dolls (lol). I agree that I do not like knick knacks. I do not like a lot of "stuff". I know everyone piles the darn pillows up but as a guest I now need a place to put them so I can have the bed but do not want to throw them on the floor - WHERE do I put them? And if they are in the photo, they are going to be in the room.

I discovered this group does not like dolls (lol). I agree that I do not like knick knacks. I do not like a lot of "stuff". I know everyone piles the darn pillows up but as a guest I now need a place to put them so I can have the bed but do not want to throw them on the floor - WHERE do I put them? And if they are in the photo, they are going to be in the room..
When I did turn down, I always took away the decorative pillows and either put them in the linen closet or under the bed.

I discovered this group does not like dolls (lol). I agree that I do not like knick knacks. I do not like a lot of "stuff". I know everyone piles the darn pillows up but as a guest I now need a place to put them so I can have the bed but do not want to throw them on the floor - WHERE do I put them? And if they are in the photo, they are going to be in the room..
When I did turn down, I always took away the decorative pillows and either put them in the linen closet or under the bed.
But I do not want someone coming into my room in the evening! I may have to deal with the maid service, but do not like my space invaded. I do know how to pull the covers back to get into bed. I really wonder how many guests truly like this or it is just the norm for the innkeeper who does "turndown" because it is believed to be wanted.
I get a lot of guests who are happy to hear they will get maid service if they want it but we do not automatically invade their space. They do not have to hide valuables or worry about leaving a suitcase open. Maybe it is my location, I get guests who are considerate of my home - no hanging wet towels on furniture or tossed on the bed......

But I do not want someone coming into my room in the evening! I may have to deal with the maid service, but do not like my space invaded. I do know how to pull the covers back to get into bed. I really wonder how many guests truly like this or it is just the norm for the innkeeper who does "turndown" because it is believed to be wanted.
I get a lot of guests who are happy to hear they will get maid service if they want it but we do not automatically invade their space. They do not have to hide valuables or worry about leaving a suitcase open. Maybe it is my location, I get guests who are considerate of my home - no hanging wet towels on furniture or tossed on the bed......
Sorry my guests loved it! Bed turned down, chocolates on the pillows, fireplace glowing, etc.... They were all told when I showed them the room that I would be turning the bed down while they are out to dinner.
Many commented how nice it was to come home to. Having said that, if the guests had clothes on the bed, personal items etc. I never touched them. Just removed the decorative pillows, and the rest but never moved anything.
I love it when I am at a hotel and I come back and see the bed turned down and a sweet on the pillow.

I've had turn down service at fine hotels and thought it was nice, you would see the housekeepers in the hallway and they were on a schedule. I think it would creep me out at a b&b, I would feel like the innkeeper was "keeping tabs" on me, waiting for me to leave. It would be nice to come back a fire though, especially a real wood burning one!

gillumhouse said:
NOW THIS is a great poll question - for innkeepers and guests.
Turn down service
and
if it is for a certain price point and above (that is my stance on this issue). $200+ a night, turn down might be expected.

Sorry my guests loved it! Bed turned down, chocolates on the pillows, fireplace glowing, etc.... They were all told when I showed them the room that I would be turning the bed down while they are out to dinner.
Many commented how nice it was to come home to. Having said that, if the guests had clothes on the bed, personal items etc. I never touched them. Just removed the decorative pillows, and the rest but never moved anything.
I love it when I am at a hotel and I come back and see the bed turned down and a sweet on the pillow.
That is why there are so many different B & Bs and innkeepers. It fits under the different strokes for different folks.
Chocolate on a bed is not nice if it gets slept with. Easter bunny and a grandson (who was old enough to know better at the time) taught me that - he fell asleep and took a nap with his Easter candy in his hand. I put Hershey's kisses on the bed with silk rose petals to greet them and have chocolate in a candy dish on the dressers.

That is why there are so many different B & Bs and innkeepers. It fits under the different strokes for different folks.
Chocolate on a bed is not nice if it gets slept with. Easter bunny and a grandson (who was old enough to know better at the time) taught me that - he fell asleep and took a nap with his Easter candy in his hand. I put Hershey's kisses on the bed with silk rose petals to greet them and have chocolate in a candy dish on the dressers.
CHocolate isn't upwrapped. It is a wrapped Ghiardelli Square chocolate.
cry_smile.gif

I agree! 99% of our guests LOVE the turn down service because it's something that is an extra pampering. I sometimes try different things for turndown - leaving a bottle of water at the bedside, turning on their fireplace, or putting our robes on the bed and slippers on the floor nearby. Our guests don't seem to be concerned about leaving anything out. It's also nice that we get the decorative pillows put away in the closets and they don't have to deal with them. A lot of folks tell us that their room is really warm and welcoming when they come back from dinner. The other 1% just opt out and that is fine, too.
As a guest, I LOVE it! I've never felt like anyone is watching me or looking at my belongings. It makes me feel pampered and looked after. :)

Back