Things that really hurt as an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Ike - when guests are accustomed to mass produced, mass marketed down-flavored items.
It's a catch-22 though. Some guests, if I talk up an ingredient, won't touch it because they "don't like" it...when they may have never had a chance to experience what it's supposed to taste like. Had a lady last week ask if I still had any of the zucchini dish they'd been offered the previous day (and pointedly ignored). I guess the rest of my cooking had earned a little trust. Since it was something served cold anyway, I brought her a slice from the fridge. She was ecstatic...and told me I should never have told her husband it contained any form of squash...he would have loved it. You win, you lose.
I will continue to tout locally raised produce (which has been sparse with the drought this year). If some guests miss out...maybe they'll notice the others scarfing it down.
PT - I think it's great you were able to stock enough blueberries this year. I couldn't justify the gas to drive that far east, counting on the blackberries we (normally) get locally. The only place I could find that had any had the scrawniest, saddest looking canes and the berries were scarce. Most places had absolutely nothing. I loaded up on peaches from one orchard - they're all put up as pie filling and in syrup. Hopefully, next year will be a better season..
I would love to not tell guests what's in something because of the grimaces we get. But then you run across the person who never thought you'd be serving 'x' for brekkie so didn't mention they couldn't eat it. (Like me. Never expected summer squash for brekkie. Years ago I could not eat a bite of it without immediately doubling over in pain.)

I agree with Ike - when guests are accustomed to mass produced, mass marketed down-flavored items.
It's a catch-22 though. Some guests, if I talk up an ingredient, won't touch it because they "don't like" it...when they may have never had a chance to experience what it's supposed to taste like. Had a lady last week ask if I still had any of the zucchini dish they'd been offered the previous day (and pointedly ignored). I guess the rest of my cooking had earned a little trust. Since it was something served cold anyway, I brought her a slice from the fridge. She was ecstatic...and told me I should never have told her husband it contained any form of squash...he would have loved it. You win, you lose.
I will continue to tout locally raised produce (which has been sparse with the drought this year). If some guests miss out...maybe they'll notice the others scarfing it down.
PT - I think it's great you were able to stock enough blueberries this year. I couldn't justify the gas to drive that far east, counting on the blackberries we (normally) get locally. The only place I could find that had any had the scrawniest, saddest looking canes and the berries were scarce. Most places had absolutely nothing. I loaded up on peaches from one orchard - they're all put up as pie filling and in syrup. Hopefully, next year will be a better season..
I would love to not tell guests what's in something because of the grimaces we get. But then you run across the person who never thought you'd be serving 'x' for brekkie so didn't mention they couldn't eat it. (Like me. Never expected summer squash for brekkie. Years ago I could not eat a bite of it without immediately doubling over in pain.)
Alibi Ike said:
then you run across the person who never thought you'd be serving 'x' for brekkie so didn't mention they couldn't eat it.
Parmesan cheese...

Back