Things they never think about

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I just had contact with a guy coming to town to do consulting work at a local factory. He wants to rent one of my apartments with kitchen, every other week for the rest of the year. He wanted to know what kind of deal I can make him to get such a good commitment.
I told him I'd knock off 20%, which gets the rate down to $120/night.
He was flabbergasted. He said that's $1,680/month for just using it 14 nights. He said he could rent a whole house for less than that.
  • I said, is that house fully furnished with furniture and multiple TVs? No.
  • Does the house furnish your coffee, soaps, towels, sheets, etc.? No.
  • Does that house include paid electric, gas, and water? No.
  • Does it come with Cable TV and wi-fi? No.
  • Is it fully insured to cover your possessions if it burns? No.
  • Does it come with regular laundry service and cleaning? No.
  • Does it include mowing the lawn all summer? No.
  • Is that house located across the street from the best restaurant and pub in town? No.
  • Probably some more I didn't even think of!
I don't know if he'll rent or not, but I gave him some things to consider!

If found on AIR, does that house come with liability insurance if HE gets hurt?
Is that house inspected to be clean and in good condition?
Is he guaranteed that NO ONE else has the entry code to the door of that house?(Like the kegger that was there last week)

If found on AIR, does that house come with liability insurance if HE gets hurt?
Is that house inspected to be clean and in good condition?
Is he guaranteed that NO ONE else has the entry code to the door of that house?(Like the kegger that was there last week).
gillumhouse said:
Is he guaranteed that NO ONE else has the entry code to the door of that house?(Like the kegger that was there last week)
I was thinking just yesterday that if I ever retire and end up in a rent house, I'll remove the outside door knobs and put my own keypad locks on, then put the old knobs back on when I leave. If you give someone your key to go in when you're away, they can easily duplicate it. Can't do that with a keypad. It's so easy to add a temporary code for a repairman, then delete it later.

Thought of another. Does that rent house you're looking at come with regular pest control service?
Short term renters face SO MANY hidden expenses they forget about when they just compare monthly rental rates.

Back