Things Travelers Gain and Lose in a Recession

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom saw something on TV this morning exhorting travelers to 'deal, deal, deal'. Now, of course, she's thinking about this from both sides...what she can get for her travel dollars and whether or not I'm ok.

Oh, great...now the airlines are going to charge for carry-ons!! Recent guests did nothing but complain about their air travel when they got here and the $15 charge per bag to check them. Of course, that didn't stop them from buying stuff here (yeah, here!) and having to buy another suitcase to get it all home. lol!
"Free night's stay" and hotels cutting the breakfast service are the other things that jumped out in that article for me.
Keep the good B&B breakfasts coming!! :)

I love that. It was one year ago today that I went to ATL airport with no bags the same way I arrived. Did I charge THEM for losing my bags or having them sit out on the tarmac in the pouring rain and saturating everything I tried to bring?
We should all be gaining guests enroute with people despising air travel these days. I won't fly unless I have to. Remember the lady flatlined at the airport terminal it was so stressful, I will never forget that, ever. I won't be held captive at an airport again.

Oh, great...now the airlines are going to charge for carry-ons!! Recent guests did nothing but complain about their air travel when they got here and the $15 charge per bag to check them. Of course, that didn't stop them from buying stuff here (yeah, here!) and having to buy another suitcase to get it all home. lol!
"Free night's stay" and hotels cutting the breakfast service are the other things that jumped out in that article for me.
Keep the good B&B breakfasts coming!! :).
Actually I think that is a good thing. It bugs the heck out of me to see people dragging all that stuff onto the airplane. I would rather see that then the extra baggage charge. People could board and deplane much quicker if you didn't have to wait for everyone to drag out their carry ons. Another thing I hate about flying :-(

I love that. It was one year ago today that I went to ATL airport with no bags the same way I arrived. Did I charge THEM for losing my bags or having them sit out on the tarmac in the pouring rain and saturating everything I tried to bring?
We should all be gaining guests enroute with people despising air travel these days. I won't fly unless I have to. Remember the lady flatlined at the airport terminal it was so stressful, I will never forget that, ever. I won't be held captive at an airport again..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
So it was! I also did not charge them for MY lost luggage, altho mine did eventually show up where I was.

Actually I think that is a good thing. It bugs the heck out of me to see people dragging all that stuff onto the airplane. I would rather see that then the extra baggage charge. People could board and deplane much quicker if you didn't have to wait for everyone to drag out their carry ons. Another thing I hate about flying :-(
Sorry it bugs you but if you read the couple of posts after yours, you'll see why people like me NEVER check their bags anymore. International travel might be a different deal but I will never check my bags. We've had too many screw ups in recent years. I've done a fair amount of air travel over the years (for business) and it's really changed.
The problem with carry ons are the people that try to shove their oversized suitcase into the overhead & it jams everything up. Then it ends up getting checked. Duh!
What is the rush with boarding & de-planing anyway? You can't leave until they're ready to let your plane take off :) Everyone just needs to take a deep breath, you get off the plane in due course after landing. The only tricky part is if you are making a connection and your flight was delayed for some reason.

Sorry it bugs you but if you read the couple of posts after yours, you'll see why people like me NEVER check their bags anymore. International travel might be a different deal but I will never check my bags. We've had too many screw ups in recent years. I've done a fair amount of air travel over the years (for business) and it's really changed.
The problem with carry ons are the people that try to shove their oversized suitcase into the overhead & it jams everything up. Then it ends up getting checked. Duh!
What is the rush with boarding & de-planing anyway? You can't leave until they're ready to let your plane take off :) Everyone just needs to take a deep breath, you get off the plane in due course after landing. The only tricky part is if you are making a connection and your flight was delayed for some reason.
I agree, we haven't checked bags in years. Too many bags lost/delayed...too many lines at ticket counters waiting to check bags. We bring an approved carryon bag with all of our stuff and have printed tickets from the internet so we just get in teh screening line and go from there. Our stuff is always with us and we don't end up overpacking.
Over the past few years though we have found that more people are travelling this way so space in the overhead compartments are sometimes getting a little tight.

I agree, we haven't checked bags in years. Too many bags lost/delayed...too many lines at ticket counters waiting to check bags. We bring an approved carryon bag with all of our stuff and have printed tickets from the internet so we just get in teh screening line and go from there. Our stuff is always with us and we don't end up overpacking.
Over the past few years though we have found that more people are travelling this way so space in the overhead compartments are sometimes getting a little tight.
Yes, everyone else is on to our evil plan!
The good thing about only bringing a carry on is that it forces us not to bring crap that we really don't need :)
That would be "us" personally, not everyone in the world.....

What is the rush with boarding & de-planing anyway? You can't leave until they're ready to let your plane take off
regular_smile.gif
Everyone just needs to take a deep breath, you get off the plane in due course after landing.
Boy, do I agree with you!!! Pushing and shoving for what reason and especially if you have to pick up luggage is just ridiculous. I like to sit and let everyone else get stressed and then get up and off.

Yeah I guess that is what I meant...the oversized stuff..not the totebag for makeup etc...The ones that try and jam everything in are the ones that get me.
What is the rush?? So why are there fools unbuckling seatbelts and on their feet before the plane even gets to the terminal!!! PEOPLE!!!!!

Yeah I guess that is what I meant...the oversized stuff..not the totebag for makeup etc...The ones that try and jam everything in are the ones that get me.
What is the rush?? So why are there fools unbuckling seatbelts and on their feet before the plane even gets to the terminal!!! PEOPLE!!!!!
catlady said:
PLEASE! Watch Brian Regan and enjoy his perspective on this. I am taking Dh to see him in Sept for his bday. He is a clean comedian and I love his take on things.
Esp the overhead luggage stuff! click here and turn your speakers on.

My sister just took a business trip to Florida, with a transfer in Atlanta. In her words, "flying's not fun anymore, it's not like it was 20 years ago." She bought a cute little carry on that fits short-ways in the overhead bin... you can put three of them in a standard bin. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the little commuter planes, only the regular size ones.
She says she'd rather have something checked at the gate, though... at least she knows it's on the plane with her. So maybe other people are thinking the same as they try to stuff big things in the overhead bins.
She had a three hour layover in Atlanta and between delays and mechanical problems and getting from one end of the airport to the other she only had about 10 minutes to use the restroom and eat a hot dog.
=)
Kk.

My sister just took a business trip to Florida, with a transfer in Atlanta. In her words, "flying's not fun anymore, it's not like it was 20 years ago." She bought a cute little carry on that fits short-ways in the overhead bin... you can put three of them in a standard bin. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the little commuter planes, only the regular size ones.
She says she'd rather have something checked at the gate, though... at least she knows it's on the plane with her. So maybe other people are thinking the same as they try to stuff big things in the overhead bins.
She had a three hour layover in Atlanta and between delays and mechanical problems and getting from one end of the airport to the other she only had about 10 minutes to use the restroom and eat a hot dog.
=)
Kk..
There's a train in the Atlanta airport to get you from arrivals to the luggage carousels. I was in shock. (I don't travel much to big airports, can you tell!) I walked. Figured if I took the train I'd just be waiting around anyway. They have mile markers where you walk!

=)
Kk..
Of course if everyone checked luggage at the gate the planes would be running late. Why does everyone want to buck the system???

=)
Kk..
Of course if everyone checked luggage at the gate the planes would be running late. Why does everyone want to buck the system???
ginocat said:
It's not always 'bucking the system'. I have a small carry on that I use for travel. If I have a lot of layover time and I don't want to haul it around the airport with me for 3 hours, I'll check it thru. BUT, I can carry it on, it's small enough. Except if I take one of those teeny planes, a commuter, which is what I usually get from the airport where I live until I get to a 'hub,' but not always. You don't always know whether the plane has room for carry on bags until you get to the plane.
If they told you that when you booked the flight (no carry on) then people would be prepared.
OTOH, everyone is so upset with all the new fees that being a fly in the ointment is one way to have your sentiments recognized.

catlady said:
PLEASE! Watch Brian Regan and enjoy his perspective on this. I am taking Dh to see him in Sept for his bday. He is a clean comedian and I love his take on things.
Esp the overhead luggage stuff! click here and turn your speakers on.
Oh YEAH BABY! TOo funny.

Some are road warriers...those business travelers that are always on the go. The other ones...that is a mystery to me. Unless you have to make a connection, chill....

Back