Things we learn the hard way about running a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing the wine glass thing is a state thing, or there would be no hotels or B&Bs still in business in wine countries such as Napa CA or here in Charlottesville VA. I'm sure that when we met with the ABC folks here when we got our license they would have mentioned it or the insurance company would have. **whew** I'm glad that's not the case here since the "wine country" is our niche!!!
Then again, (knock on wood) we have not yet has any problems at all with our guests and we provide a bottle of sparkling wine, wine and champagne glasses, and a cork puller in our suites!!!!
Riki.
Don't get me wrong, we can and do offer wine service to all of our rooms in our packages or if a guest orders a bottle - my post was about me supplying them glasses and openers for wine they bring in themself. New Hampshire is a liquor controlled state - all alcohol has to be purchased from State owned Liqor outlets, and we have to keep our liqour receipts for 6 months in case they do an inspection. We have to produce a receipt for all alcohol on premise if asked.

I'm guessing the wine glass thing is a state thing, or there would be no hotels or B&Bs still in business in wine countries such as Napa CA or here in Charlottesville VA. I'm sure that when we met with the ABC folks here when we got our license they would have mentioned it or the insurance company would have. **whew** I'm glad that's not the case here since the "wine country" is our niche!!!
Then again, (knock on wood) we have not yet has any problems at all with our guests and we provide a bottle of sparkling wine, wine and champagne glasses, and a cork puller in our suites!!!!
Riki.
It is a State thing. Clearly noted in your License. It is also noted in my liquour insurance policy - "No Alcoholic beverages may be consumed unles purchased on premise"
I suppose being in wine country that would not go over very well :)
Well the County and the State are still biting the hand that feeds them in regards to the wineries. But I think they have noticed the funds that come from the guests that come for the wine tasting and such. Maybe when your state gets more involved in wine making yours will modernize!!!
Europeans like Italians are so shocked at these silly regulations. They feel that wine is a "right" as a human being for happiness! Now, that's the attitude I like to see!!!
But like you there are things we steer clear of because of lawsuits. One is no bicycles nohow. They bring their own. Our roads are great for biking, but the drivers around here are too dangerous on the roads for us to encourage them!
Riki

Riki.
Don't get me wrong, we can and do offer wine service to all of our rooms in our packages or if a guest orders a bottle - my post was about me supplying them glasses and openers for wine they bring in themself. New Hampshire is a liquor controlled state - all alcohol has to be purchased from State owned Liqor outlets, and we have to keep our liqour receipts for 6 months in case they do an inspection. We have to produce a receipt for all alcohol on premise if asked.
Ah I see. No, we don't have that problem about the glasses, although we also have state controlled regs and have to do the same as you. I'm waiting for them to come and complain, as we are supposed to have all alcohol locked up, and in our entry octagon I have niches with magnums of wine for decoration. I'm assuming they may show up one day and make me etiher lock them up or empty them. Not looking forward to that.
Riki

i am new to this forum and was enjoying reading the responses which JBJ now deleted. i do not understand why you find it offensive for them to ask you about the policies you posted on this forum? i wanted to know about the alcohol thing too but have not been ready to post much yet, i am too busy reading all this stuff. too bad you lost your temper. we could all have learned something here. i am new and not put off by others here. please continue answering..
I intentionally posted in this forum as a way of expressing to newer inkeepers some of my experiences in developing a good B&B. If it came of as "this is the way" to run a B&B then I apologize, but in re-reading my original it was "MY" input of "my" experience and why "I implemented" such policies. In as far as my fee for early arrival or late departure, I added that because it reduced "MY" occurances of early arrivers. I'd rather be premetive than face them at 12 noon and say no.
Now in as far as keeping record of guest information, depending on your state requirements, many states require a business to keep all transactional records for 7 years - rediculous as this sounds, but it is for audit reasons. And a B&B in still afterall a business in the background guided by the rules and regulations of their locations.
What I might have ran into in this forum is a mixture of hobbist inkeepers, which is fine, NO insult in that comment, but I run mine as my sole bread and butter, this is my living. My comments were on a business level, keeping record, policies, etc. If a newbie walks into this thinking it's fun and games, then they would be sadly mistaken. An in closing, I would never want to do anything else, I truly enjoy running a B&B, but I run "mine" strictly by all the rules of my particular state
We are definitely not entirely a group of 'hobbyists' - or 'lifestyle' B&Bs, the preferred term. We also bought our inn as a business and run it as a business as our main income support. Having said that, it is not as big an operation as yours - no restaurant and no liquor license. Our state has some interesting rules, as do others. Just check out the threads on allowing children - it'll turn your hair gray.
You have just run into some differences of opinions, some of which are surely driven by different state requirements. Even those of us that have been here awhile get knocked around a bit on occasion for our policies or practices. You will have to get used to it, and know that postings often sound more severe than they may be meant. The limitations of the medium, as it were.

Riki.
It is a State thing. Clearly noted in your License. It is also noted in my liquour insurance policy - "No Alcoholic beverages may be consumed unles purchased on premise"
Well the County and the State are still biting the hand that feeds them in regards to the wineries. But I think they have noticed the funds that come from the guests that come for the wine tasting and such. Maybe when your state gets more involved in wine making yours will modernize!!!
Europeans like Italians are so shocked at these silly regulations. They feel that wine is a "right" as a human being for happiness! Now, that's the attitude I like to see!!!
But like you there are things we steer clear of because of lawsuits. One is no bicycles nohow. They bring their own. Our roads are great for biking, but the drivers around here are too dangerous on the roads for us to encourage them!
Riki
Yes, states have a habit of doing that. This is a Chef owned B&B - so wine is a big influence on the decor of the B&B even the rooms are named after grapes :
New Hampshire is a great outdor state, perfect for hiking and biking. We used ro offer guest free use of a bunch of mountain bikes we have here - until the insurance compnay found out - just like you, we had to stop. they would have dropped our policy if we continued.
Sad that these basic enjoyments of going to a B&B are fully controlled.

Riki.
Riki
Yes, states have a habit of doing that. This is a Chef owned B&B - so wine is a big influence on the decor of the B&B even the rooms are named after grapes :
New Hampshire is a great outdor state, perfect for hiking and biking. We used ro offer guest free use of a bunch of mountain bikes we have here - until the insurance compnay found out - just like you, we had to stop. they would have dropped our policy if we continued.
What fun! Sounds like you have a beautiful place.
I was going to try and name my rooms after grapes, but it would not work. From family travels, we had "stuff" to decorate according to locations - the french and german rooms no problem - continent of Africa no problem. Vermont? problem.
So, since wer are in Charlottesville, Thomas Jefferson's home, we are using people from his time that have roots in those countries.
Riki

I have a question about how secure your management system is if you are taking the guest's cc AND their driver's license. That's a lot of data to lose.
The wine glass thing sounds silly (but may be spelled out for you by the licensing dept). I mean, what's the difference between getting drunk using a wine glass or a water glass? Are you saying your license is safe if you can prove you only provided them with toothbrushing glasses?
The early/late check-in sounds lovely. If I could get $30 extra from every guest who showed up at noon, I could retire next year.
Is it a perception or fact that discounted guests cause the most trouble? Do we think that because we feel we went out of our way for them and this is how they repaid that kindness? Or is it that if you pay full price it's ok to be a jerk?.
I use Innquest Software called RooMaster - But, once a guest has check out all relevent data is purged. My point on the fee for early and late check out was to deter this from happening, not really from trying gouge the guest. It is not easy to have rooms and bathrooms and of course all the guest areas cleaned before 3pm.
This is truly becomming a BIG mistake on my part for joining this forum. I suppose I should have stayed with the toaster discussion - Sorry---need to vent a little as you all did on me
Please don't take it personally. Some here are more forthright in speaking than others. Stick around.

Riki.
Riki
I am not arguing.
We specifically asked our insurance rep about providing outdoor equipment to guests. We had reservations about doing this given the potential for injury.
Guess what their take on it is...you (meaning we) have coverage to operate a B&B and all that entails.

i am new to this forum and was enjoying reading the responses which JBJ now deleted. i do not understand why you find it offensive for them to ask you about the policies you posted on this forum? i wanted to know about the alcohol thing too but have not been ready to post much yet, i am too busy reading all this stuff. too bad you lost your temper. we could all have learned something here. i am new and not put off by others here. please continue answering..
I intentionally posted in this forum as a way of expressing to newer inkeepers some of my experiences in developing a good B&B. If it came of as "this is the way" to run a B&B then I apologize, but in re-reading my original it was "MY" input of "my" experience and why "I implemented" such policies. In as far as my fee for early arrival or late departure, I added that because it reduced "MY" occurances of early arrivers. I'd rather be premetive than face them at 12 noon and say no.
Now in as far as keeping record of guest information, depending on your state requirements, many states require a business to keep all transactional records for 7 years - rediculous as this sounds, but it is for audit reasons. And a B&B in still afterall a business in the background guided by the rules and regulations of their locations.
What I might have ran into in this forum is a mixture of hobbist inkeepers, which is fine, NO insult in that comment, but I run mine as my sole bread and butter, this is my living. My comments were on a business level, keeping record, policies, etc. If a newbie walks into this thinking it's fun and games, then they would be sadly mistaken. An in closing, I would never want to do anything else, I truly enjoy running a B&B, but I run "mine" strictly by all the rules of my particular state
Piperman said:
We've been having a go around on this for a couple of years here at my house. On the one side we are faced with tax regulations saying we must keep records. No one has ever said how detailed. Guest name? Address? Phone number? Credit card number? Receipt of sale? How much or how little? I'd say that all I need is a sales receipt and no actual guest info needs to be saved for tax purposes. Stores don't save your name and address unless you pay by cc or check. And then they lose them to hackers.
Then we get hit with the cc companies saying we cannot keep guests' cc info.
We're purging this year. All cc info is going, going, gone. If a receipt is old and has a cc number on it, I'll take a marker to it if the gov't needs for me to show that as proof I actually had guests here.

Riki.
Riki
I am not arguing.
We specifically asked our insurance rep about providing outdoor equipment to guests. We had reservations about doing this given the potential for injury.
Guess what their take on it is...you (meaning we) have coverage to operate a B&B and all that entails.
Then here we go again, it's a state thing or insurance thing. We used to offer ATV's, snowmobiles and bikes to our guests, since we are on some of the best trail systems in the Northeast, but the insurance carriers would not offer the liability insurance to cover injuries. Oh, I'm sure if we wanted to pay a huge premium they'd approve it. The sad thing about this is we have even lost 2 or 3 smaller outback groups (they rent these items) because they could not afford to pay the premiums. Our guest now have to travel miles to rent these things.

Riki.
Riki
What fun! Sounds like you have a beautiful place.
I was going to try and name my rooms after grapes, but it would not work. From family travels, we had "stuff" to decorate according to locations - the french and german rooms no problem - continent of Africa no problem. Vermont? problem.
So, since wer are in Charlottesville, Thomas Jefferson's home, we are using people from his time that have roots in those countries.
Riki
I suppose Vermont known for it's Green Mountains, cheddar cheese and pure maple syrup is not as sexy as Africa, Germany or France....I see your point :)

if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
not sure what i missed in this thread since some posts have been deleted..
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).

if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).
Money is not at all my driving factor in charging for policy breakers, I use it as a preemtive course of action. If the guest understands that I am not say NO, but say yes with the caviat that there will be a surcharge, it may make them drive around and find a book store a lunch place to spend the time before check-in, that's all. the bottom line is it is their choice, and the larger % choose not to pay the $, so they get here at 3pm on the dot :)
On the other side of that, we are almost 2 hours from a major airport, so we do have a huge amount of 10pm-midnight check-ins. Our check-in hours are from 3pm-10pm, It was getting to the point last year we had guest arriving at noon time all the way up to after midnight. We also have a 75 seat restaurant here, so we are never in bed until after 1am then breakfast for our guests runs from 7:30am-9:00. So each of us has a reason for our policies.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.

similar here, piperman.
eight guest rooms. check out by 11 check in 3 to 7. you have a very late check in window. later than that, and i am very tired. waiting on one checkin that left a message saying they'd be here around 8:30 or 9. and i am getting up to do an early breakfast tomorrow (6 am eating time) so i am not thrilled with waiting up. because i want to have a bath and put on my nightgown which i will likely do by 9 whether they are here or not!
a restaurant too? i hope you have a big staff

I tried the 'pay to play' policy last year. Early check-ins were $35, ditto late check-ins and late check-outs. No one read the policy. I wasn't about to say, at the door, 'That will be $35,' because the real reason for the charge was to cut down on that and, if there was a real necessity, that we would do that room first so it was ready.
The first time I had a guy call for a late check-in (after midnight) and I told him the fee he said, 'That's not very hospitable,' and hung up on me.
After enough of that, I gave up. Guests did not read anything that was sent to them or anything that was on the web. They would tell me directly, on the phone, 'We will be arriving at 11 AM.' My response would then be, 'Please feel free to leave your car here and head into town for lunch and we'll see you between 3 and 7.'
They then showed up, right on schedule at 11. Not a single one admitting that we had told them check-in was between 3-7. What we got was (depending on who answered the door), 'The guy (or girl) told me it was ok to check-in when I got here.'
The number of times I wanted to scream, 'Liar!' in their faces was unbelievable.
But, the rest of the B&B's here let guests in whenever they arrive. They all have staff.
The worst was one who showed up when we were outside trying to change the lightbulb in the parking lot light. Hubs is on a ladder, 20 feet up and I am bracing the ladder. They get out of the car and say, 'We're here!' I explain we're not ready, thinking this might be obvious and then the dancing begins. 'We need to use the restroom, where is it?' 'We were told we could check-in whenever we arrived.' Ad infinitum.
Neither of them read the confirmation, neither remembered anyone telling them check in was 3-7. So, should I let go of the ladder and let hubs fall while I let these guests into the house? For what purpose would I let them in? There are no 'restrooms' and the rooms weren't ready.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.
i am ready to buy one .... for me ....
sleeping in my big sleigh, writing letters to santa ... teddy bears and hot cocoa on a tray ....

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
sleeping in my big sleigh, writing letters to santa ... teddy bears and hot cocoa on a tray ....
seashanty said:
I'm getting a new bed. Finally. I can't have a footboard, tho, so the sleigh is out. (Hubs is too tall.) I'm looking at just getting a sleigh style headboard.

We are foruntate that where we live we rarely have issues. There are some who try to pull a fast one but you can't leave here without the ferry and you can't get here without it wither. Not a lot of chance to do much harm/. everyone on the island is fairly supportive of thid place as i have been finding out since I've been here. We had one guest tryo to leave without paying and i called doen to the dock and they owuldn't let him board the ferry. Told hm he had forgotten something at the inn and we wanted him to come back to give it to him. (chuckle)

Back