Things we learn the hard way about running a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
not sure what i missed in this thread since some posts have been deleted..
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).
I tried the 'pay to play' policy last year. Early check-ins were $35, ditto late check-ins and late check-outs. No one read the policy. I wasn't about to say, at the door, 'That will be $35,' because the real reason for the charge was to cut down on that and, if there was a real necessity, that we would do that room first so it was ready.
The first time I had a guy call for a late check-in (after midnight) and I told him the fee he said, 'That's not very hospitable,' and hung up on me.
After enough of that, I gave up. Guests did not read anything that was sent to them or anything that was on the web. They would tell me directly, on the phone, 'We will be arriving at 11 AM.' My response would then be, 'Please feel free to leave your car here and head into town for lunch and we'll see you between 3 and 7.'
They then showed up, right on schedule at 11. Not a single one admitting that we had told them check-in was between 3-7. What we got was (depending on who answered the door), 'The guy (or girl) told me it was ok to check-in when I got here.'
The number of times I wanted to scream, 'Liar!' in their faces was unbelievable.
But, the rest of the B&B's here let guests in whenever they arrive. They all have staff.
The worst was one who showed up when we were outside trying to change the lightbulb in the parking lot light. Hubs is on a ladder, 20 feet up and I am bracing the ladder. They get out of the car and say, 'We're here!' I explain we're not ready, thinking this might be obvious and then the dancing begins. 'We need to use the restroom, where is it?' 'We were told we could check-in whenever we arrived.' Ad infinitum.
Neither of them read the confirmation, neither remembered anyone telling them check in was 3-7. So, should I let go of the ladder and let hubs fall while I let these guests into the house? For what purpose would I let them in? There are no 'restrooms' and the rooms weren't ready.
Gee Bree,
I don't understand why you can't just be like the rest of us and have your rooms ready exactly one minute after the previous guest has checked out and why can't you just let the guests use your bathroom, you are so rude!
tounge_smile.gif

if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).
I tried the 'pay to play' policy last year. Early check-ins were $35, ditto late check-ins and late check-outs. No one read the policy. I wasn't about to say, at the door, 'That will be $35,' because the real reason for the charge was to cut down on that and, if there was a real necessity, that we would do that room first so it was ready.
The first time I had a guy call for a late check-in (after midnight) and I told him the fee he said, 'That's not very hospitable,' and hung up on me.
After enough of that, I gave up. Guests did not read anything that was sent to them or anything that was on the web. They would tell me directly, on the phone, 'We will be arriving at 11 AM.' My response would then be, 'Please feel free to leave your car here and head into town for lunch and we'll see you between 3 and 7.'
They then showed up, right on schedule at 11. Not a single one admitting that we had told them check-in was between 3-7. What we got was (depending on who answered the door), 'The guy (or girl) told me it was ok to check-in when I got here.'
The number of times I wanted to scream, 'Liar!' in their faces was unbelievable.
But, the rest of the B&B's here let guests in whenever they arrive. They all have staff.
The worst was one who showed up when we were outside trying to change the lightbulb in the parking lot light. Hubs is on a ladder, 20 feet up and I am bracing the ladder. They get out of the car and say, 'We're here!' I explain we're not ready, thinking this might be obvious and then the dancing begins. 'We need to use the restroom, where is it?' 'We were told we could check-in whenever we arrived.' Ad infinitum.
Neither of them read the confirmation, neither remembered anyone telling them check in was 3-7. So, should I let go of the ladder and let hubs fall while I let these guests into the house? For what purpose would I let them in? There are no 'restrooms' and the rooms weren't ready.
Gee Bree,
I don't understand why you can't just be like the rest of us and have your rooms ready exactly one minute after the previous guest has checked out and why can't you just let the guests use your bathroom, you are so rude!
tounge_smile.gif

inncogneeto said:
Gee Bree,
tounge_smile.gif
I thought my only 'badge' would be PITA magnet. But, noooo, I also can lay claim to world class bitch. All I can say is, 'Someone has to do it.'
You know, I think the PO's gave up because they ran into this so much. I just keep beating my head against the wall.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.
I was just telling someone this last week, I think an innkeeper I visited, how the new sleigh beds have extra space at the end. The real reason may be for feet - ie so taller people will buy them, but for making them, it sure makes a big difference.

Money is not at all my driving factor in charging for policy breakers, I use it as a preemtive course of action. If the guest understands that I am not say NO, but say yes with the caviat that there will be a surcharge, it may make them drive around and find a book store a lunch place to spend the time before check-in, that's all. the bottom line is it is their choice, and the larger % choose not to pay the $, so they get here at 3pm on the dot :)
On the other side of that, we are almost 2 hours from a major airport, so we do have a huge amount of 10pm-midnight check-ins. Our check-in hours are from 3pm-10pm, It was getting to the point last year we had guest arriving at noon time all the way up to after midnight. We also have a 75 seat restaurant here, so we are never in bed until after 1am then breakfast for our guests runs from 7:30am-9:00. So each of us has a reason for our policies.
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
It's driving me nuts. The word is "preemptive". Please use a spell checker.
Alright everyone, as you were.

Money is not at all my driving factor in charging for policy breakers, I use it as a preemtive course of action. If the guest understands that I am not say NO, but say yes with the caviat that there will be a surcharge, it may make them drive around and find a book store a lunch place to spend the time before check-in, that's all. the bottom line is it is their choice, and the larger % choose not to pay the $, so they get here at 3pm on the dot :)
On the other side of that, we are almost 2 hours from a major airport, so we do have a huge amount of 10pm-midnight check-ins. Our check-in hours are from 3pm-10pm, It was getting to the point last year we had guest arriving at noon time all the way up to after midnight. We also have a 75 seat restaurant here, so we are never in bed until after 1am then breakfast for our guests runs from 7:30am-9:00. So each of us has a reason for our policies.
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
You realize that once you post a post like this then the next time you make a typo we're all going to correct you!
tounge_smile.gif
(Or at least, Bree and I will!)
=)
Kk.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
You realize that once you post a post like this then the next time you make a typo we're all going to correct you!
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Typos are fine...even understandable. They happen when one is typing a little too fast. However, when the "typo" occurs repeatedly, it aggravates the @#$% out of a writer. There is such a thing as a backspace ya' know.
devil_smile.gif

Yes, this topic did take an interesting twist I thought.
We each have our policies to suit our different types of properties, as well as our location and our competition. I think we actually have a nice mix of size of properties developing here on this forum. I would not call our operation a hobbyist or lifestyle B&B, but it doesn't support us. I would like to make a living from our 5 room place someday. At least enough to support the two properties, pay the expenses of hosting guests, with a little left over. It will take awhile to build it to that...hasn't happened in 6 months that's for sure :)
I think the great thing is that we can learn as we grow our businesses from our mistakes. We can also learn from a forum like this of innkeepers who are willing to share their stories. Thanks y'all!!
btw - It's fascinating to me that you can't drink water out of a wine glass in New Hampshire. haha!

I have a question about how secure your management system is if you are taking the guest's cc AND their driver's license. That's a lot of data to lose.
The wine glass thing sounds silly (but may be spelled out for you by the licensing dept). I mean, what's the difference between getting drunk using a wine glass or a water glass? Are you saying your license is safe if you can prove you only provided them with toothbrushing glasses?
The early/late check-in sounds lovely. If I could get $30 extra from every guest who showed up at noon, I could retire next year.
Is it a perception or fact that discounted guests cause the most trouble? Do we think that because we feel we went out of our way for them and this is how they repaid that kindness? Or is it that if you pay full price it's ok to be a jerk?.
It make no difference as you know to which glass they use. Under our liquor license and the state B&B laws a guest cannot bring alcohol onto the premise. NOW...before you go and jump all over me, WE DO NOT stop guests from bringing in teir own liquor, I just do not want to see it. NOW, if I offer them a wine glass, then I am admiting that I now know they are drinking alcohol in the room.
Just and FYI - it is the same in bars and restaurant, you cannot serve non-alcoholic beverages in the same glasses as alcoholic ones. Now, I would assume that this is a State thing.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
i am ready to buy one .... for me ....
sleeping in my big sleigh, writing letters to santa ... teddy bears and hot cocoa on a tray ....
seashanty said:
i am ready to buy one .... for me ....
sleeping in my big sleigh, writing letters to santa ... teddy bears and hot cocoa on a tray ....
I'm getting a new bed. Finally. I can't have a footboard, tho, so the sleigh is out. (Hubs is too tall.) I'm looking at just getting a sleigh style headboard.
well, if i ever get a new 'hubs' i'll remove the foot board or get a bigger bed. for now .... i hear sleigh bells!!!

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Oh, no, I have been letting them go quietly...I twitch slightly and then take a deep breath. I'll only comment if the typo makes the post funny in some way. Then, I just can't help myself!

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Oh, no, I have been letting them go quietly...I twitch slightly and then take a deep breath. I'll only comment if the typo makes the post funny in some way. Then, I just can't help myself!
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
I didn't mean for everyone's typos, just the person who complained!
=)
Kk.

speaking of wine glasses:
the little general store across from me sells liquor and has been hit with 4 or 5 stings ... or spot inspections ... people can buy beer and wine but they cannot drink it in the store or on the store property. someone walked in, bought beer, walked over to the door, popped open a beer and boom! violation notice and fine.
to make matters worse, there is a restaurant right behind the store that sells liquor and patrons CAN drink there ... so there is confusion.
sooooooo ... i had a full house of wedding guests and all the coffee mugs and tea cups (ceramic and disposable) had been used during the night. one guest got up early, made himself a cup of coffee in the library in an acrylic wine glass and carried it over to the general store to buy shaving cream. they about went nuts ... thought it was yet another sting!!
... the owner went rushing over to tell this guy he couldn't drink wine in the store ... 6 a.m. ... discovered it was black coffee. she was still worried about how it looked and handed him a paper cup to pour the coffee into and a plastic bag to put the 'wine glass' in.
i heard all about it for three days.

speaking of wine glasses:
the little general store across from me sells liquor and has been hit with 4 or 5 stings ... or spot inspections ... people can buy beer and wine but they cannot drink it in the store or on the store property. someone walked in, bought beer, walked over to the door, popped open a beer and boom! violation notice and fine.
to make matters worse, there is a restaurant right behind the store that sells liquor and patrons CAN drink there ... so there is confusion.
sooooooo ... i had a full house of wedding guests and all the coffee mugs and tea cups (ceramic and disposable) had been used during the night. one guest got up early, made himself a cup of coffee in the library in an acrylic wine glass and carried it over to the general store to buy shaving cream. they about went nuts ... thought it was yet another sting!!
... the owner went rushing over to tell this guy he couldn't drink wine in the store ... 6 a.m. ... discovered it was black coffee. she was still worried about how it looked and handed him a paper cup to pour the coffee into and a plastic bag to put the 'wine glass' in.
i heard all about it for three days..
That sounds a bit harsh...the shopkeeper can't follow every buyer to the door and make sure they are in their car, with the key in the ignition before the customer opens the beer. (At which point the customer gets hit with DUI!)
All they can really do is make sure it's well-posted and maybe say something at purchase. They must have annoyed the state liquor board over something...

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
A typo is one thing. Not knowing how to spell is another. I have no problems with typos. But, if you don't know how to spell something, for God's sake use a dictionary.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
A typo is one thing. Not knowing how to spell is another. I have no problems with typos. But, if you don't know how to spell something, for God's sake use a dictionary.
Proud Texan said:
Ah.... but what about the people who don't know they don't know? That is, they think it's right...
Oh the people who just don't care?
Or who think that "next door" is "next store" because that's how they always heard it?
I'm with Bree... sometimes I cringe, but unless it makes for a funny meaning I usually don't comment.
=)
Kk.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Their ez knwo spill chekerd on thsi form sew it tis whut it tis. I dint want erbody knot bein on hear cuz theys ain't goot at figgrin an commputin.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Their ez knwo spill chekerd on thsi form sew it tis whut it tis. I dint want erbody knot bein on hear cuz theys ain't goot at figgrin an commputin.
At last someone who understands!
tounge_smile.gif

Piperman, there are alot of "incorrect thinking people" here on this forum.
I am posting below a list of things we have learned and incorporated into our business.
We have learned that:
- Sending out a "guest information" letter on nice letterhead is a very comfortable feeling for the guests and very classy.
- Egyptian cotton sheets are always talked about (800-1000 tc.)
- A big, hearty breakfast is the MAIN thing that is always the last thing the guests say to us -- "we loved the breakfast"
- Placing 3-5 chocolates in a dish in each room is sufficient. Otherwise, they will eat or take the whole dish of chocolates
- Placing a big basket of towels in each room stamps out the question of "we ran out of towels?".
- The guests do not read signs. Especially the younger crowd. They are here to have a great time and to hell with the signs. So when they arrive, you have to reiterate.
- Being greeted at the door by their first names (you know who is coming by your reservation program). And if there are two or three couples arriving at the same time, you just use your common sense.
- Having keys to their bedroom
- Knowing that they are not to drive if they go to the wineries (most people come out here to go to the wineries) They call us if they are inebriated.
And thats all I can think of for now. But this has been an awesome experience, meeting some of the best and nicest people in the world, some of whom I have an uncanny connection to.

Piperman, there are alot of "incorrect thinking people" here on this forum.
I am posting below a list of things we have learned and incorporated into our business.
We have learned that:
- Sending out a "guest information" letter on nice letterhead is a very comfortable feeling for the guests and very classy.
- Egyptian cotton sheets are always talked about (800-1000 tc.)
- A big, hearty breakfast is the MAIN thing that is always the last thing the guests say to us -- "we loved the breakfast"
- Placing 3-5 chocolates in a dish in each room is sufficient. Otherwise, they will eat or take the whole dish of chocolates
- Placing a big basket of towels in each room stamps out the question of "we ran out of towels?".
- The guests do not read signs. Especially the younger crowd. They are here to have a great time and to hell with the signs. So when they arrive, you have to reiterate.
- Being greeted at the door by their first names (you know who is coming by your reservation program). And if there are two or three couples arriving at the same time, you just use your common sense.
- Having keys to their bedroom
- Knowing that they are not to drive if they go to the wineries (most people come out here to go to the wineries) They call us if they are inebriated.
And thats all I can think of for now. But this has been an awesome experience, meeting some of the best and nicest people in the world, some of whom I have an uncanny connection to..
I like the guest information letter. Do you send a separate confirmation or is this altogether in one envelope? Does it include directions and stuff like that?

Hi Piperman, I just posted AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION, but it didn't show up.
Anyway, don't be discouraged by a few of the posters. This forum is a really good place to learn. sometimes you will be bombarded by the few "incorrect thinking people". But, they mean well.

Back