Things we learn the hard way about running a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piperman, there are alot of "incorrect thinking people" here on this forum.
I am posting below a list of things we have learned and incorporated into our business.
We have learned that:
- Sending out a "guest information" letter on nice letterhead is a very comfortable feeling for the guests and very classy.
- Egyptian cotton sheets are always talked about (800-1000 tc.)
- A big, hearty breakfast is the MAIN thing that is always the last thing the guests say to us -- "we loved the breakfast"
- Placing 3-5 chocolates in a dish in each room is sufficient. Otherwise, they will eat or take the whole dish of chocolates
- Placing a big basket of towels in each room stamps out the question of "we ran out of towels?".
- The guests do not read signs. Especially the younger crowd. They are here to have a great time and to hell with the signs. So when they arrive, you have to reiterate.
- Being greeted at the door by their first names (you know who is coming by your reservation program). And if there are two or three couples arriving at the same time, you just use your common sense.
- Having keys to their bedroom
- Knowing that they are not to drive if they go to the wineries (most people come out here to go to the wineries) They call us if they are inebriated.
And thats all I can think of for now. But this has been an awesome experience, meeting some of the best and nicest people in the world, some of whom I have an uncanny connection to..
Most of this is how things are run here. Exceptions being the winery thing, we don't have those here and I won't, as a young woman, pick up any inebriated guests at the dock after a night on the mainland. We have 7 rooms in the main house and then 4 more seasonsl rooms in the back house so knowing a guest's name who has never been here beofre would be a stretch. All your overweight, middle-aged Americans look pretty much the same until you 've had a chance to talk to ehm and sort ot their personalities. A ggod guess can be mad eon europeans bu their shoes and their general attitude before they even open their mouths. There are couples here from Colorado and Indiana tonight. No way to tell who is who before they tell me. Arrival is by boat so they all tend to show up at one time or the other, not spread out.
Our linens our inported by my aunt. She travels a lot and brings these things back with her or sends them ahead when she travels. She sent back a casr load of Balmoral lace one time and now I'm expecting some beautiful Provencal linens,not that they go with the inn she just likes to shop. Sometime I will post pictures. She has never had a website most of the guests are simply repeats or word of mouth. That's something I'll change if ai stick around.

Hi Piperman, I just posted AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION, but it didn't show up.
Anyway, don't be discouraged by a few of the posters. This forum is a really good place to learn. sometimes you will be bombarded by the few "incorrect thinking people". But, they mean well..
trishany said:
Anyway, don't be discouraged by a few of the posters. This forum is a really good place to learn. sometimes you will be bombarded by the few "incorrect thinking people". But, they mean well.
Trish- ALL of your posts show up. People are replying to them. Maybe you have a problem with your browser not refreshing.

I am posting below a list of things we have learned and incorporated into our business.
We have learned that:
- Sending out a "guest information" letter on nice letterhead is a very comfortable feeling for the guests and very classy.
- A big, hearty breakfast is the MAIN thing that is always the last thing the guests say to us -- "we loved the breakfast"
- Placing 3-5 chocolates in a dish in each room is sufficient. Otherwise, they will eat or take the whole dish of chocolates
- Placing a big basket of towels in each room stamps out the question of "we ran out of towels?".
- The guests do not read signs. Especially the younger crowd. They are here to have a great time and to hell with the signs. So when they arrive, you have to reiterate.
- Being greeted at the door by their first names (you know who is coming by your reservation program). And if there are two or three couples arriving at the same time, you just use your common sense.
- Knowing that they are not to drive if they go to the wineries (most people come out here to go to the wineries) They call us if they are inebriated.
And thats all I can think of for now. But this has been an awesome experience, meeting some of the best and nicest people in the world, some of whom I have an uncanny connection to..
Most of this is how things are run here. Exceptions being the winery thing, we don't have those here and I won't, as a young woman, pick up any inebriated guests at the dock after a night on the mainland. We have 7 rooms in the main house and then 4 more seasonsl rooms in the back house so knowing a guest's name who has never been here beofre would be a stretch. All your overweight, middle-aged Americans look pretty much the same until you 've had a chance to talk to ehm and sort ot their personalities. A ggod guess can be mad eon europeans bu their shoes and their general attitude before they even open their mouths. There are couples here from Colorado and Indiana tonight. No way to tell who is who before they tell me. Arrival is by boat so they all tend to show up at one time or the other, not spread out.
Our linens our inported by my aunt. She travels a lot and brings these things back with her or sends them ahead when she travels. She sent back a casr load of Balmoral lace one time and now I'm expecting some beautiful Provencal linens,not that they go with the inn she just likes to shop. Sometime I will post pictures. She has never had a website most of the guests are simply repeats or word of mouth. That's something I'll change if ai stick around.
The Coloradans would have been easy if they had shown up first. Theor address was a ranch anf they looked the part.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
HaHa! That was a lesson for me, too. Love how they look - the one sleigh bed we have gets ooohs - but I will never have one in my own house.
I was just telling someone this last week, I think an innkeeper I visited, how the new sleigh beds have extra space at the end. The real reason may be for feet - ie so taller people will buy them, but for making them, it sure makes a big difference.
:) I remember that conversation.... it was with me - (by the way, it was wonderful to have a visit from another inkeeper!!) We have sleigh beds in storage and decided not to use them because of the difficulty it would be to make the beds up as a king bed. We'd have to stand on our heads to tuck the sheets and blankets in the bottom.

We have learned that:
The Coloradans would have been easy if they had shown up first. Theor address was a ranch anf they looked the part.
seven sisters b-b said:
What part of Colorado, do you know? I have a LOT of ranching relatives in Colorado. :)

if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
not sure what i missed in this thread since some posts have been deleted..
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).
Money is not at all my driving factor in charging for policy breakers, I use it as a preemtive course of action. If the guest understands that I am not say NO, but say yes with the caviat that there will be a surcharge, it may make them drive around and find a book store a lunch place to spend the time before check-in, that's all. the bottom line is it is their choice, and the larger % choose not to pay the $, so they get here at 3pm on the dot :)
On the other side of that, we are almost 2 hours from a major airport, so we do have a huge amount of 10pm-midnight check-ins. Our check-in hours are from 3pm-10pm, It was getting to the point last year we had guest arriving at noon time all the way up to after midnight. We also have a 75 seat restaurant here, so we are never in bed until after 1am then breakfast for our guests runs from 7:30am-9:00. So each of us has a reason for our policies.
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
It's driving me nuts. The word is "preemptive". Please use a spell checker.
Alright everyone, as you were.
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
You realize that once you post a post like this then the next time you make a typo we're all going to correct you!
tounge_smile.gif
(Or at least, Bree and I will!)
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
You realize that once you post a post like this then the next time you make a typo we're all going to correct you!
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Oh, no, I have been letting them go quietly...I twitch slightly and then take a deep breath. I'll only comment if the typo makes the post funny in some way. Then, I just can't help myself!
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Oh, no, I have been letting them go quietly...I twitch slightly and then take a deep breath. I'll only comment if the typo makes the post funny in some way. Then, I just can't help myself!
I didn't mean for everyone's typos, just the person who complained!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
A typo is one thing. Not knowing how to spell is another. I have no problems with typos. But, if you don't know how to spell something, for God's sake use a dictionary.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
A typo is one thing. Not knowing how to spell is another. I have no problems with typos. But, if you don't know how to spell something, for God's sake use a dictionary.
Their ez knwo spill chekerd on thsi form sew it tis whut it tis. I dint want erbody knot bein on hear cuz theys ain't goot at figgrin an commputin.
people just type words quickly, but the intelligent reader will understand what he/she is trying to say. But, for the life of me, I can't understand what you are trying to say at the very end of your post, Junnieb. I really did try, though.

Gosh, when I saw the topic I thought it was going to be a very different thread.
One thing I learned the hard way is that king sized beds are a lot more work to change than queen sized beds, and that sleigh beds (particularly their footboards) suck.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
I was just telling someone this last week, I think an innkeeper I visited, how the new sleigh beds have extra space at the end. The real reason may be for feet - ie so taller people will buy them, but for making them, it sure makes a big difference.
:) I remember that conversation.... it was with me - (by the way, it was wonderful to have a visit from another inkeeper!!) We have sleigh beds in storage and decided not to use them because of the difficulty it would be to make the beds up as a king bed. We'd have to stand on our heads to tuck the sheets and blankets in the bottom.
greyswan said:
No... you just get to build your muscles when you lift the entire end of the mattress up in order to tuck (even a portion of) the sheet in. Which you do with one hand, so you can tuck with the other...
=)
Kk.

if guests arrive at the door early, and you can accommodate them, do you say 'yes, you can check in early at a rate of $10 per hour''? (or only if they've arranged it with you ahead of time?) do they get mad or say 'fine i'll pay it'' .... i get a number of folks showing up early who really want in.
a lot of the time i tell them, check is in at 3 and we are not quite ready for you. sometimes the place is ready, but not me
if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm
SS wrote: "if you have a low rate of people showing up early, that means people ARE aware of check in time and don't want to be charged extra. whereas here, they arrive and seem oblivious that they are early. hmmmmmm"
What I am wondering is if the dollar sign is the sign we should all use when trying to make a point. It seems to be working for Piper on early check in...Gee wonder what else we could put that glaring symbol on that would stress our point... hmmmm
Piper - please stick around. I do not know what the issue was about but don't take it personally. We really are a friendly bunch and like to hear how others are running their business and as you know by now, we often ask questions when things are not clear to us (i.e. wine glasses).
Money is not at all my driving factor in charging for policy breakers, I use it as a preemtive course of action. If the guest understands that I am not say NO, but say yes with the caviat that there will be a surcharge, it may make them drive around and find a book store a lunch place to spend the time before check-in, that's all. the bottom line is it is their choice, and the larger % choose not to pay the $, so they get here at 3pm on the dot :)
On the other side of that, we are almost 2 hours from a major airport, so we do have a huge amount of 10pm-midnight check-ins. Our check-in hours are from 3pm-10pm, It was getting to the point last year we had guest arriving at noon time all the way up to after midnight. We also have a 75 seat restaurant here, so we are never in bed until after 1am then breakfast for our guests runs from 7:30am-9:00. So each of us has a reason for our policies.
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Their ez knwo spill chekerd on thsi form sew it tis whut it tis. I dint want erbody knot bein on hear cuz theys ain't goot at figgrin an commputin.
people just type words quickly, but the intelligent reader will understand what he/she is trying to say. But, for the life of me, I can't understand what you are trying to say at the very end of your post, Junnieb. I really did try, though.
trishany said:
people just type words quickly, but the intelligent reader will understand what he/she is trying to say.
I totally understand what they were trying to say and I can tolerate an occasional typographical errors. My beef was with the fact that there was a consistently misspelled word when there did not have to be. Communication is a two-way street and the reader should not have to decipher mangled words because someone is either too lazy to look them up or to ignorant not to know they need to.
I'm not trying to come across as a carmudgeon here, I'm trying to encourage literacy.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
people just type words quickly, but the intelligent reader will understand what he/she is trying to say.
I totally understand what they were trying to say and I can tolerate an occasional typographical errors. My beef was with the fact that there was a consistently misspelled word when there did not have to be. Communication is a two-way street and the reader should not have to decipher mangled words because someone is either too lazy to look them up or to ignorant not to know they need to.
I'm not trying to come across as a carmudgeon here, I'm trying to encourage literacy.
Proud Texan said:
Is a carmudgeon nicer than a curmudgeon?
I used to teach English. I love playing Scrabble. I used to work in offices and proofread documents (and the witch boss at the ad agency would have my hide if I missed anything!). I once used Strunk and White as part of an 8th grade English curriculum.
I figure not everyone has my interest or background, so I don't expect them to touch type, spell well, or even use words correctly. In the course of teaching I was a stickler for perfect English in my papers, but allowed great laxity for my creative writing assignments.
All of that, and what does it matter?
The point of language is to communicate concepts and ideas. As long as my message is understood, and I understand what others are saying to me, so what if the apostrophe is dropped or added?
It's like having guests at my B&B... I want them to feel comfortable whether they barely graduated high school or have several post graduate degrees, whether they vote liberal or conservative or not at all, whether they say "creek" or "crick."
I hope posters here on the forum can feel comfortable posting regardless whether they spell it "appalled" or "appauled." I understand their meaning, it's good enough for me. After watching non-touch typists using a computer, and listening to some of my friends talk, I'm actually astonished at the high level of language use we have here!
=)
Kk.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
I used to teach English. I love playing Scrabble. I used to work in offices and proofread documents (and the witch boss at the ad agency would have my hide if I missed anything!). I once used Strunk and White as part of an 8th grade English curriculum.
I figure not everyone has my interest or background, so I don't expect them to touch type, spell well, or even use words correctly. In the course of teaching I was a stickler for perfect English in my papers, but allowed great laxity for my creative writing assignments.
The point of language is to communicate concepts and ideas. As long as my message is understood, and I understand what others are saying to me, so what if the apostrophe is dropped or added?
It's like having guests at my B&B... I want them to feel comfortable whether they barely graduated high school or have several post graduate degrees, whether they vote liberal or conservative or not at all, whether they say "creek" or "crick."
I hope posters here on the forum can feel comfortable posting regardless whether they spell it "appalled" or "appauled." I understand their meaning, it's good enough for me. After watching non-touch typists using a computer, and listening to some of my friends talk, I'm actually astonished at the high level of language use we have here!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
There are plenty of regional dialects, some in these here parts go back to Queen's English and you would be SHOCKED to hear it, then find out it is actually very accurate.
I type things like ain't jus' cuz I feels like it! I am not actually an "ain't" speaker in real life.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
embaressed_smile.gif
oopsy!
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
I do hate the limitations of internet communication. Voice inflection and body language are lost as well as the speaker's intent. From the first, I have not intended to come across as a bad ass, but apparently that is the perception here. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
I too have been involved professionally in writing and have written numerous biographies for a Texas publication. I love Struck and White and Scrabble. I was involved for many years in an adult literacy program. Most of what I saw were people who had squandered the basic education afforded to all Americans and were sometimes only marginally literate. They had no learning disabilities except for being too lazy to learn. That still sticks in my craw. So, maybe I perceive "errors" a little differently than others. I did not come from a loving stable environment and learning was not emphasized in our home, but still, I took advantage of the educational system and learned basic language skills. As an adult, I worked to improve those. It's never to late to learn.
As for bad grammer and spelling, sh*t happens. I understand that. But can we not all aspire to improve?

Anyway, don't be discouraged by a few of the posters. This forum is a really good place to learn. sometimes you will be bombarded by the few "incorrect thinking people". But, they mean well..
trishany said:
Anyway, don't be discouraged by a few of the posters. This forum is a really good place to learn. sometimes you will be bombarded by the few "incorrect thinking people". But, they mean well.
Trish- ALL of your posts show up. People are replying to them. Maybe you have a problem with your browser not refreshing.
I am guessing that an "incorrect thinking" person on this forum would be someone who disagrees with TrishNY. Interesting, considering that she is a fledgling innkeeper and there are many other veteran innkeepers on this forum.
Perhaps, TrishNY is not clicking the "Save" button sometimes which is why her replies aren't posting?

trishany said:
I am guessing that an "incorrect thinking" person on this forum would be someone who disagrees with TrishNY. Interesting, considering that she is a fledgling innkeeper and there are many other veteran innkeepers on this forum.
Perhaps, TrishNY is not clicking the "Save" button sometimes which is why her replies aren't posting?
Unfortunately, those of us who don't have TNY on ignore are able to read all of her posts (including the ones where she disparages us), so the inability to read them is operator error, not a software problem.
There are times when I might be offended to be labelled an 'incorrect thinking' person, but this time I think I'm pleased to be in that company!

trishany said:
Unfortunately, those of us who don't have TNY on ignore are able to read all of her posts (including the ones where she disparages us), so the inability to read them is operator error, not a software problem.
There are times when I might be offended to be labelled an 'incorrect thinking' person, but this time I think I'm pleased to be in that company!
muirford said:
HEAR HEAR! I applaud all of you incorrectly thinking people. Outside the box is always a COMPLIMENT.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
embaressed_smile.gif
oopsy!
I do hate the limitations of internet communication. Voice inflection and body language are lost as well as the speaker's intent. From the first, I have not intended to come across as a bad ass, but apparently that is the perception here. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
I too have been involved professionally in writing and have written numerous biographies for a Texas publication. I love Struck and White and Scrabble. I was involved for many years in an adult literacy program. Most of what I saw were people who had squandered the basic education afforded to all Americans and were sometimes only marginally literate. They had no learning disabilities except for being too lazy to learn. That still sticks in my craw. So, maybe I perceive "errors" a little differently than others. I did not come from a loving stable environment and learning was not emphasized in our home, but still, I took advantage of the educational system and learned basic language skills. As an adult, I worked to improve those. It's never to late to learn.
As for bad grammer and spelling, sh*t happens. I understand that. But can we not all aspire to improve?
I never realized 'White' of 'Strunk & White' was old EB until I started reading his letters. Amazing man.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
embaressed_smile.gif
oopsy!
It looks like I'm not guilty of misspelling, but rather word misuse. (actually I was guilty
cry_smile.gif
)
It appears that there is (or was) a place called Carmudgeon in Scotland.
emperor-elector.blogspot.com/2008/07/confusion-at-carmudgeon-or-campbells.html
It seems I'm not alone in my misuse of the word. Google "Carmudgeon" and look at the results. Sad but true.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
embaressed_smile.gif
oopsy!
It looks like I'm not guilty of misspelling, but rather word misuse. (actually I was guilty
cry_smile.gif
)
It seems I'm not alone in my misuse of the word. Google "Carmudgeon" and look at the results. Sad but true.
Proud Texan said:
cry_smile.gif
)
Worse than sad but true is you have now led me astray.
omg_smile.gif
Altho I think I looked up the word initially and spell it correctly inspite of the misspelling here of late. You have inn-spired me to use that instead of the many other choice words in my vernacular - old coot, geezer, battle-axe, etc.

Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
Proud Texan said:
Piperman said:
I use it as a preemtive
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
tounge_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
=)
Kk.
trishany said:
Proud Texan said:
=)
Kk.
embaressed_smile.gif
oopsy!
cry_smile.gif
)
Proud Texan said:
cry_smile.gif
)
omg_smile.gif
Altho I think I looked up the word initially and spell it correctly inspite of the misspelling here of late. You have inn-spired me to use that instead of the many other choice words in my vernacular - old coot, geezer, battle-axe, etc.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
omg_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
+
devil_smile.gif
=
cry_smile.gif

I'm guessing the wine glass thing is a state thing, or there would be no hotels or B&Bs still in business in wine countries such as Napa CA or here in Charlottesville VA. I'm sure that when we met with the ABC folks here when we got our license they would have mentioned it or the insurance company would have. **whew** I'm glad that's not the case here since the "wine country" is our niche!!!
Then again, (knock on wood) we have not yet has any problems at all with our guests and we provide a bottle of sparkling wine, wine and champagne glasses, and a cork puller in our suites!!!!
Riki.
It is a State thing. Clearly noted in your License. It is also noted in my liquour insurance policy - "No Alcoholic beverages may be consumed unles purchased on premise"
I suppose being in wine country that would not go over very well :)
I can see that state policy because you have a liquor license. Most BB's don't have a license. I'm in Canada so different rules and, like the USA, policies change according to province. I can offer sherry free of charge in the guest rooms but can't sell it. I don't have a liquor license. Guests are free to bring whatever they want to drink just like in a hotel.

i am new to this forum and was enjoying reading the responses which JBJ now deleted. i do not understand why you find it offensive for them to ask you about the policies you posted on this forum? i wanted to know about the alcohol thing too but have not been ready to post much yet, i am too busy reading all this stuff. too bad you lost your temper. we could all have learned something here. i am new and not put off by others here. please continue answering..
In with the Inn Crowd, welcome and thanks for speaking up. :welcome:

Back