Things worthy of bringing to innkeepers attention or not?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Another thread and comment by Mortie made me think of this and I am curious.
If you are the guest at a B&B, what are the things (that need attention) that you would mention to the owner/host/innkeeper? (Some times it is not as easy as that, if they know we are an innkeeper perhaps easier or perhaps harder depending on the situation and attitude of the hosts)
I know it is easy to say what we think we would mention, but when I have found deificiencies I never mention them to the hosts - unless it is something I think needs urgent attention.
Would it be something that make your stay more comfortable? Something that would not offend them so you bring it up in passing, or something you think they may not be aware of?
I ask, as innkeepers you know we are not in the rooms for most of their stay, which is another reason the freshening is important. If you went into a room and it was 100 degrees or 20 degrees or something spilled or broken, then we know we have a problem, or a stopped up toilet (this is one thing a guest rarely will mention out of embarrassment).
What is important to mention or not mention (in your opinion). (You can think back to your a couple stays at B&B's and recall what you thought about mentioning but didn't etc).
As the innkeeper on a few instances when an innmate mentioned something I really did appreciate it. I knew it was done for the right reason, to help out.
Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Example of things I did not mention from a now closed B&B in Bristol TN.
  • Strongly flavored coffee that gave me a gut ache. Powdered creamer (DH uses cream and drank his coffee black both mornings)
  • Wimpy breakfasts. Both mornings and we never said anything, why bother, was our reasoning. We read in the guest room journals all about the fantastic breakfasts, I think the simple solution of just another egg so we had two instead of one each, and a couple extra tablespoonfuls of potatoes would have gone a long way in my perception.
  • Grandkids running around. We felt held captive in our room, cartoons were blaring on the living room TV and we just didn't feel like paying guests in this atmosphere. We never mentioned it, just holed up in our room or sneaked down the stairs and out.
  • Oh, and this was a good one: Tennessee Ernie Ford was playing 24/7 on the sound system. No, I am not making it up. He is from Bristol so they had his greatest hits repeating over and over - at first I liked hearing him and being reminded of that trivia, then it began to wear on my nerves. (Yes this in addition to grandkids voices and cartoons).
All of these were easily solved issues, but they ruined our only getaway, which are precious to innkeepers. They were mostly atmospheric B&B problems.

If they knew I was an innkeeper, I wouldn't mention anything unless I was asked for my input. If I were asked my opinion I would be very honest but in a light way.

The only thing I might mention was if something was broken or not clean in the room or bathroom.
I would not comment on breakfast etc. Everyone has their own idea of what is a satisfactory breakfast. It may not be mine, but I would not like it..but I don't think I would say anything to them.
If I experienced the grandkids as you did. I would probably send them an email or a note after I returned home expressing the problem. I don't want to come face to face with anyone about their grandkids.

I appreciate when guests tell me something that would make their stay better, even if I have no intention of ever doing what they mention!
What I would really like them to tell me:
  • I broke a glass and threw it in the trash. (Makes us more careful cleaning the bathroom floor and more careful handling the trash.)
  • Any 'appliance' that is not draining properly. (Try as I might I cannot get Gomez to run water in the shower & sink to see if they are working right.)
  • A room that might need darker drapes. (I did add drapes to several rooms because of this.)
  • Noise. Altho this is not something I can really fix, it helps to know if a room has gotten louder for some reason.
I generally don't say anything unless asked. I know I should complain when things are just plain old wrong and it feels like I'm being taken advantage of.
Part of the reason for doing the guest survey was to see what they would tell me without me knowing who said it. As much as I'm supposed to ask, 'How was your stay?' you know many guests just say 'fine' and leave with a grudge because they don't want to tell me what was wrong.

Things I did not mention because they knew I was an innkeeper - not all at the same place:
  • Skimpy breakfast - at 2 different places, both also served to the public as a restaurant. One gave us a regular menu but told which items were included - yes, just like some of those hotels with a restaurant where you are given a voucher.
  • A wake up call for everyone - breakfast was served promply at 8:30, so in order for the innkeeper to be assured all of their guests were 'up and adam' they had their player piano start at 8AM which by the way carried very well through out the entire place (as well as down the street).
The things I would mention are things that effect my stay that they CAN fix/change/add in a reasonable mannor. A broken - whatever that maybe they failed to notice when cleaning, a burned out light, a switch or outlet not working, a quarky A/C unit, etc.
Regarding temp., I do recall mentioning it at one of the places. It was in April in the south, not a common thing to need heat that time of year but it was just too cool not to have it (well for us wimmpy southerners) and not enough covers as they had (I assume) gone to their lighter bed coverings. When we called we asked for either heat or additional blankets... guess the heat was an easier fix! This made me realize I should always have an extra blanket or two in each room.
What bugs me as an innkeeper are the very 'helpful' ones that offer suggestions that are so $$$ or overboard that there is no way it is doable - or not with our budget. These are the ones that think that just because you live in this 'big house' you must have lots of excess cash just waiting for their wonderful idea.

A tip for under the bed - my knees do not let me get down to look under our beds, so I have a hand mirror I use to check under them for left-behinds.

If they knew I was an innkeeper, I wouldn't mention anything unless I was asked for my input. If I were asked my opinion I would be very honest but in a light way..
Breakfast Diva said:
If they knew I was an innkeeper, I wouldn't mention anything unless I was asked for my input. If I were asked my opinion I would be very honest but in a light way.
That's really the issue when I'm traveling. If I can avoid them knowing I'm an innkeeper, I do. If they know and I mention any little thing at all, it just adds a bit of unnecessary tension. Tension is the last thing I want when I'm on a getaway.
If my room hasn't been cleaned for 2 days straight, I mention it. If there's a leaky toilet or a plumbing issue of any kind, I mention it.
If it's something that just irks me, I leave it be.

I appreciate when guests tell me something that would make their stay better, even if I have no intention of ever doing what they mention!
What I would really like them to tell me:
  • I broke a glass and threw it in the trash. (Makes us more careful cleaning the bathroom floor and more careful handling the trash.)
  • Any 'appliance' that is not draining properly. (Try as I might I cannot get Gomez to run water in the shower & sink to see if they are working right.)
  • A room that might need darker drapes. (I did add drapes to several rooms because of this.)
  • Noise. Altho this is not something I can really fix, it helps to know if a room has gotten louder for some reason.
I generally don't say anything unless asked. I know I should complain when things are just plain old wrong and it feels like I'm being taken advantage of.
Part of the reason for doing the guest survey was to see what they would tell me without me knowing who said it. As much as I'm supposed to ask, 'How was your stay?' you know many guests just say 'fine' and leave with a grudge because they don't want to tell me what was wrong..
As much as I sometimes hate them, I'm a big advocate for guest comment cards in the rooms. Sometimes people suggest the most stupid things or the $$$$ things like "knock down this wall". In general, guests will write on the comment cards things that they will not say to your face, even when asked. After a few years of the comment cards, we rarely get any negatives anymore because we've done everything we could to "fix" the problems.
I've got to say though, that when I walk into a room where a comment card has been left, I still get that knee jerk reaction of "oh no, NOW what?" But unlike when we were new innkeepers, now we find it's mostly people telling us wonderful things instead of negatives, even though they've already written in the diary books.

You mean like, "Oh it would have been nice if the rooms had jetted tubs."

You mean like, "Oh it would have been nice if the rooms had jetted tubs.".
A comment we got once was, 'Your showers are too small. You should let guests know how small they are when the book.'
So I asked him, "And what's a polite way to say 'if you're fat, you won't fit into this shower?'"
I know guests think the bathrooms are too small. You can see it when they look in. It's like 'where's the rest of the bathroom?' I generally say, as if talking to the wall, 'Isn't it amazing what fits into a closet!'
We should do that 'if you had it to do over again, what changes would you make' questionnaire again. I'd make every room a suite with jetted tub, steam shower, mini kitchen, 48" TV, DVD library, fireplace, king bed, pullout sofa (for the kids they forget to tell you about), on the first floor, no stairs, 24x7 doorman, private entrances for every room and breakfast served in bed so no one would have to see anyone else. I'd also have 2 housekeepers, someone to do the flowers, a wine & cheese service everyday and someone else to carry the luggage.
And I'd still have someone grouse about something. It's human nature to want what isn't there but that you heard about somewhere else. (Not including basics in that.)

A tip for under the bed - my knees do not let me get down to look under our beds, so I have a hand mirror I use to check under them for left-behinds..
gillumhouse said:
A tip for under the bed - my knees do not let me get down to look under our beds, so I have a hand mirror I use to check under them for left-behinds.
Ooooh! Usually that's the ds6x2's job, but sometimes I'm stuck. Thanks for the tip!!
The cabin we stayed at for 9 nights had no hangers at all, one door that wouldn't latch unless you locked the deadbolt, a couple of burnt out light bulbs, and some other minor things. I only mentioned the door to the housekeeping staff, and wouldn't have mentioned the other stuff but they had a "how are we doing" survey. I gave them great marks on politeness... and made a list on the back of stuff to be looked at.
We also left the 10 hangers we got at the dollar store in the closet. What is it about hangers? I didn't think I used them much until I traveled to places that don't provide any!
=)
Kk.

A tip for under the bed - my knees do not let me get down to look under our beds, so I have a hand mirror I use to check under them for left-behinds..
gillumhouse said:
Ooooh! Usually that's the ds6x2's job, but sometimes I'm stuck. Thanks for the tip!!
The cabin we stayed at for 9 nights had no hangers at all, one door that wouldn't latch unless you locked the deadbolt, a couple of burnt out light bulbs, and some other minor things. I only mentioned the door to the housekeeping staff, and wouldn't have mentioned the other stuff but they had a "how are we doing" survey. I gave them great marks on politeness... and made a list on the back of stuff to be looked at.
We also left the 10 hangers we got at the dollar store in the closet. What is it about hangers? I didn't think I used them much until I traveled to places that don't provide any!
=)
Kk.
What I don't get is why do guests take hangers? We keep at least 10 of them in each closet, but last week, our guests left a comment card that we needed more hangers. Uh??? I went and looked and there were only 3!!! I guess we hadn't checked recently
whattha.gif

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YS The cabins we stay in don't keep hangers either and those you left they will most likely get rid of too.

A comment we got once was, 'Your showers are too small. You should let guests know how small they are when the book.'
So I asked him, "And what's a polite way to say 'if you're fat, you won't fit into this shower?'"
I know guests think the bathrooms are too small. You can see it when they look in. It's like 'where's the rest of the bathroom?' I generally say, as if talking to the wall, 'Isn't it amazing what fits into a closet!'
We should do that 'if you had it to do over again, what changes would you make' questionnaire again. I'd make every room a suite with jetted tub, steam shower, mini kitchen, 48" TV, DVD library, fireplace, king bed, pullout sofa (for the kids they forget to tell you about), on the first floor, no stairs, 24x7 doorman, private entrances for every room and breakfast served in bed so no one would have to see anyone else. I'd also have 2 housekeepers, someone to do the flowers, a wine & cheese service everyday and someone else to carry the luggage.
And I'd still have someone grouse about something. It's human nature to want what isn't there but that you heard about somewhere else. (Not including basics in that.)
. I'd make every room a suite with jetted tub, steam shower, mini kitchen, 48" TV, DVD library, fireplace, king bed, pullout sofa (for the kids they forget to tell you about), on the first floor, no stairs, 24x7 doorman, private entrances for every room and breakfast served in bed so no one would have to see anyone else. I'd also have 2 housekeepers, someone to do the flowers, a wine & cheese service everyday and someone else to carry the luggage.
And I'd still have someone grouse about something.
Most likely it would be the bill!!!
poke.gif

. I'd make every room a suite with jetted tub, steam shower, mini kitchen, 48" TV, DVD library, fireplace, king bed, pullout sofa (for the kids they forget to tell you about), on the first floor, no stairs, 24x7 doorman, private entrances for every room and breakfast served in bed so no one would have to see anyone else. I'd also have 2 housekeepers, someone to do the flowers, a wine & cheese service everyday and someone else to carry the luggage.
poke.gif

copperhead said:
poke.gif
teeth_smile.gif

poke.gif

copperhead said:
poke.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Have a wonderful trip!

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
What I don't get is why do guests take hangers? We keep at least 10 of them in each closet, but last week, our guests left a comment card that we needed more hangers. Uh??? I went and looked and there were only 3!!! I guess we hadn't checked recently
whattha.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
whattha.gif
I think because it is easier to hang the clothes in the car than to take them off the hangers and refold. Sometimes, guests come with hangers and don't realize they didn't come with that many. Especially if one unpacks and the other repacks. The repacker assumes all the hangers belong to them.
Altho, the flip side of that is whay do guests leave me with wire hangers? (And my hangers, they don't take those, but they do leave all the dry cleaning hangers.)

I just reread the original post. The only things I would mention at things that may make the inn look less than its best or reflect negatively on the innkeeper. Of course I would let them know if a bulb was burned out, things like that are a given.
For instance, I admit I really do not notice things (bad for an innkeeper) but this one I did catch, but would easily overlooked. My then 11-month old grandson had manged to get his little fingers in the battenburg lace of the duvet and it tore. IF I actually notived it at another B & B, It is something I would mention because it would be a reflection on that inn. (Mine is in the storage room - still waiting for me to remember to repair it.)

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YS The cabins we stay in don't keep hangers either and those you left they will most likely get rid of too.
Joey Bloggs said:
But the B&B we stayed at in November had none, either! And where was I supposed to hang my winter coat?
=)
Kk.

Back