Things you keep hoping for that never happen...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email from our Scotland guests who went to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg after us.
Now here is something that might shock people - you can warn them it is the "Hillbilly Vegas" but until they are there in the traffic and congestion people they don't get it. They emailed to say this was the best part of their USA holiday with us, and they left PF/Gatl after only one day, telling the innkeeper they could not stand to stay there any longer!
So if you google and get the travel brochures it is just all Great Smoky Mountains and bears and fun! You get there and it is a cross between Disneyland and Vegas. A good lesson in representing what you have honestly..
Absolutely. this is why the advent of the Internet is a godsend.

Unless one purposely posts pictures of rooms that do not exist in that state or one advertises falsely anything about the property, there cannot be any confusion.
I had a guest this summer who called a few days before arrival and wanted to switch to a smaller cottage since her party had shrunk by 2 guests. I was booked up and had no other accommodations for her. She came into the office and had the nerve to say to me that the cottage looked nothing like it is portrait online and she was leaving. I told her to go but she had to pay. I charged her credit card and won the dispute.
Why would we purposely misrepresent our properties? People, blech!
omg_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Unless one purposely posts pictures of rooms that do not exist in that state or one advertises falsely anything about the property, there cannot be any confusion.
I had guests tell me of a place in the Pocono's that is a neat old house in a gated community. The house is the same house on the website, the neighborhood is a sub-division now. There was a guard at the gate as INSIDE the gated community was the crime. The guests were ticked off! Demanded their money back and the man refused. In fact, took full payment 14 days in advance. No refunds. That was a red flag they ignored and regretted later. There was a shooting there (in the neighborhood) the first night and they left with no refund.
Sometimes the place is neat - but the surrounds are not. Others told me of a fantastic place in Texas! Next door was a pawn shop and liquor store. Bars on all windows of the B&B. They also left.
See, I bet that's a case where they could have gotten their money back from the cc company if they told them (with pix) that this was not what they thought it was and that there was a shooting.
But, that place we stayed in Savannah had an absolutely no refunds policy and that place had bars on the windows and the innkeeper left in an ambulance after she got our cc.

As a CA native, I'd like to offer a different perspective... While I can't explain the lack of common courtesy of a simple thank you, I can tell you that depending on where in CA they are from, they may simply be shell shocked and the warm Southern hospitality may be completely foreign to them!
We are from LA and it took us about 6 months to adjust when we moved to CO. We didn't realize how much city life really affected us.
I was shocked when the grocery clerk actually chatted me up on my first visit to the store, I actually looked around to see who she was talking to! Clerks in SoCal don't talk to you, they don't have time, too many people in line behind you. One time when someone pulled over to ask me directions, I freaked, my first response was, they are going to car jack me! We still lock all of our doors, but we know most people in CO don't...they even leave their keys in the ignition. You can't to that in LA! We lived a block from the country club and there were armed robberies, drug deals, attempted kidnappings - on a daily basis, in our "nice" neighborhood. The kicker in CO was was when we went to the DMV and didn't have to wait weeks to get our license and plates, they handed it right to us, and there was no wait! AND when I went to the county office to file my dad's medicare/medicaid forms, I was a name- not a number, I almost cried!
So, while they may not have the manners you hope for, it may be because they've had them scared out of them and have been conditioned into apathy and fear due to their surroundings! We get Californians all the time, and maybe it's because we are also from CA, but they have all been gracious guests for the most part..
Willowpondgj said:
I was shocked when the grocery clerk actually chatted me up on my first visit to the store, I actually looked around to see who she was talking to!
A similar thing happened to me when I moved from an area in Ohio to the state of MI - I was so used to being ignored in Ohio that I jumped when someone talked to me in the produce section!
I have lived in several different states in the past 50 years and there is a difference in regions.

As a CA native, I'd like to offer a different perspective... While I can't explain the lack of common courtesy of a simple thank you, I can tell you that depending on where in CA they are from, they may simply be shell shocked and the warm Southern hospitality may be completely foreign to them!
We are from LA and it took us about 6 months to adjust when we moved to CO. We didn't realize how much city life really affected us.
I was shocked when the grocery clerk actually chatted me up on my first visit to the store, I actually looked around to see who she was talking to! Clerks in SoCal don't talk to you, they don't have time, too many people in line behind you. One time when someone pulled over to ask me directions, I freaked, my first response was, they are going to car jack me! We still lock all of our doors, but we know most people in CO don't...they even leave their keys in the ignition. You can't to that in LA! We lived a block from the country club and there were armed robberies, drug deals, attempted kidnappings - on a daily basis, in our "nice" neighborhood. The kicker in CO was was when we went to the DMV and didn't have to wait weeks to get our license and plates, they handed it right to us, and there was no wait! AND when I went to the county office to file my dad's medicare/medicaid forms, I was a name- not a number, I almost cried!
So, while they may not have the manners you hope for, it may be because they've had them scared out of them and have been conditioned into apathy and fear due to their surroundings! We get Californians all the time, and maybe it's because we are also from CA, but they have all been gracious guests for the most part..
Willowpondgj said:
I was shocked when the grocery clerk actually chatted me up on my first visit to the store, I actually looked around to see who she was talking to!
A similar thing happened to me when I moved from an area in Ohio to the state of MI - I was so used to being ignored in Ohio that I jumped when someone talked to me in the produce section!
I have lived in several different states in the past 50 years and there is a difference in regions.
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
You could have had the same shock by moving within the state of Ohio... if you'd moved here, for example, same deal... Not only do we talk to you in the produce section, but you have to keep your head up and look around or you might ignore an acquaintance that you should have waved at.
=)
Kk.

DH lived all his life in the Chicago area. Then we moved here. A couple weeks after he moved here (I stayed behind to earn money for a while longer), he went to the drug store in town and the clerk greeted him with, "Hello Mr. Panek, how can we help you?" he almost junped out of his skin! How did you know my name? "You are the new people in town.
Being from WV, I always talked to everyone - even in Illinois. We were here about a year and he called the radio station we listened to (in Clarksburg, the big city to the south) to voice an opinion and after writing his opinion the lady asked if he minded giving his name and city. He told her and the immediate reply was, "Oh, your Kathleen's husband!"
The big difference we notice with guests is those from the big cities lock their room door to even come to breakfast. Small town people often just leave them open all day.

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
You could have had the same shock by moving within the state of Ohio... if you'd moved here, for example, same deal... Not only do we talk to you in the produce section, but you have to keep your head up and look around or you might ignore an acquaintance that you should have waved at.
=)
Kk.
Ain't that the truth! Then you have a lot of damage control to do because you ignored me! (that is the way it is here too)

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
Yeah, I know it is totally just the area I was in in Ohio - I have talked to other people about it and they all agree - there is just something off about one particular area. It made me feel better cos I took it all too personally! Of course I didn't find out until we moved away!

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
Ain't that the truth! Then you have a lot of damage control to do because you ignored me! (that is the way it is here too)
gillumhouse said:
Talk about damage control for being ignored...we had guests come back to the inn last week and complain that they were walked past by no less than 5 employees of the restaurant we sent them to and they were never acknowledged. The guests walked and ate elsewhere.
Another couple said they waited an hour and a half to get their dinner after placing their order.
In cases like that, you really need to have an employee or manager going around to the tables and if nothing else talking to the customers.

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
Talk about damage control for being ignored...we had guests come back to the inn last week and complain that they were walked past by no less than 5 employees of the restaurant we sent them to and they were never acknowledged. The guests walked and ate elsewhere.
Another couple said they waited an hour and a half to get their dinner after placing their order.
In cases like that, you really need to have an employee or manager going around to the tables and if nothing else talking to the customers.
The couple that waited 1.5 hours - I hope they complained! Restaurants have been known to give free dinners for that amt. of time! I hope they didn't just sit there and wait and then only complain to you?!
All the employees walking by were thinking "that's not my table" - good for them for walking out.
Whatever happened to the days of when you see a job to do - do it?! Help thy neighbors, etc.?

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
The couple that waited 1.5 hours - I hope they complained! Restaurants have been known to give free dinners for that amt. of time! I hope they didn't just sit there and wait and then only complain to you?!
All the employees walking by were thinking "that's not my table" - good for them for walking out.
Whatever happened to the days of when you see a job to do - do it?! Help thy neighbors, etc.?
I agree....just sit there like a mouse and don't say anything...but then complain to your Innkeeper? Hmmm...sounds like the same guest who will have an easily resolved problem with their stay at a B&B, never say anything to the Innkeeper and then go home and write a less than glowing review.

So here's our CA karma for today: The couple who showed up one day early ended up adding an extra night which offset the other couple who left in the first place. They warmed up and were very sweet by the time they left. Then we had two sisters from CA yesterday who were sweet as pie, as soon as I brought the breakfast plates out they exclaimed at how pretty it was and how excited they were. I'm grateful!

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
A few days after coming home from his perf appendix mess (24 days in hospital) DH had an attack of "nurse call seperation" as I call it - no button to call a nurse - NOW! He wanted to go to ER so I took hime. They took us in to an examining room about 11 pm, took his vitals, and we did not see anyone again for about 3 hours when I went to the desk and asked what the hell is going on here? DH kept saying they probably called the doc and he said to keep an eye on him or something. Well they had NOT called the doc. They finally admitted him and when we told the doc what happened, HE came unglued and filed a complaint withthe hospital that his patients were not to be treated that way. I informed the hospital that I did not expect to get a bill for that visit - and i did not. He who just sits like a bump on the log and waits - will spend his life waiting. I will wait a reasonable amount ot time, and then look out Lucie because I am vocalizing.

Willowpondgj said:
suellen222 said:
Willowpondgj said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
A few days after coming home from his perf appendix mess (24 days in hospital) DH had an attack of "nurse call seperation" as I call it - no button to call a nurse - NOW! He wanted to go to ER so I took hime. They took us in to an examining room about 11 pm, took his vitals, and we did not see anyone again for about 3 hours when I went to the desk and asked what the hell is going on here? DH kept saying they probably called the doc and he said to keep an eye on him or something. Well they had NOT called the doc. They finally admitted him and when we told the doc what happened, HE came unglued and filed a complaint withthe hospital that his patients were not to be treated that way. I informed the hospital that I did not expect to get a bill for that visit - and i did not. He who just sits like a bump on the log and waits - will spend his life waiting. I will wait a reasonable amount ot time, and then look out Lucie because I am vocalizing.
Amen! You have to be VERY proactive when it comes to healthcare for someone you love! If it were not for my sister telling the nurses that something was wrong with my Mother after her knee operation she would be dead. Then when Mom had the other knee done a few years later she TOLD them not to give her that medicine...no one listened and it happened again. This time my other sister was in charge and called the 1st sister to ask "what should I do?" when Mom was acting weird again. We all thank god that Mom only has 2 knees!
You have to stand up and make someone notice you - scream if you have to!

:( I am appalled by the behavior of my fellow Californians. Born and raised in California I know of no one who would treat people with such disregard. Please understand we are not all rude!

I am sorry you have had so many bad experiences with Californians. Born and raised in Northern California I feel ashamed to hear so many of you seem to despise us. I assure you we are not all bad people. In fact many of us are very nice and polite.
I hope you can open your minds and understand that no matter where you are from you find good and bad.
By the way we have problems with many New Yorkers but I will always assume the guests are nice until proven otherwise. No matter where they are from.
Postive thoughts often bring positive results. :)

Any guests I've ever had from CA have been great, you don't hear us complaining!

I am sorry you have had so many bad experiences with Californians. Born and raised in Northern California I feel ashamed to hear so many of you seem to despise us. I assure you we are not all bad people. In fact many of us are very nice and polite.
I hope you can open your minds and understand that no matter where you are from you find good and bad.
By the way we have problems with many New Yorkers but I will always assume the guests are nice until proven otherwise. No matter where they are from.
Postive thoughts often bring positive results. :).
Postive thoughts often bring positive results.
regular_smile.gif

Amen to that! I like you already - welcome to the forum!
I don't care if you keep commenting on old posts either - it refreshes our memory.

We've had guests from eveywhere and the funniest thing is the look on their faces when they walk up the walk to the front door (lets just say that the drive to our B & B they see a couple trilers that aren't what you normally see) and are amazed at what they are looking at.
All our guests have been great and the ones that don't like it and walk away and we charge them. One of our favorite guests arrived from Northern VA and I'm just about to serve breakfast and the husband comes into the kitchen and said that his girfriend is stuck in the room and can't seem to unlock the door. Thank God the room was in the bottom floor cause he had to climb out the window to come tell me, I had to literally take the whole lock off somehow the lock malfuctioned. All was great, they ate breakfast, went rafting and I still could not fix the door, so they said not to worry about it (they where the only guests in the guest house) Later that night they came and asked if I would be willing to drive them into town (15 minutes away) in their Mercedes worth more than our B & B! Of coure I said YES, I WOULD LOVE TO! Goes to show you some guests will trust you with their expensive car. I loved that car, they loved their stay and they could have more to drink--cause they had a chauffer.
I love this job and would not trade it for anything! Its ups its downs and hey it never ver boring!
But...never had guests from CA or guests that didn't say thank you for breakfast. Some even sent Thank You cards, VHS Tapes, one guest even took a dog that was running around in town...that was hillarious!

Back