Things you provide that cost, but are not used often enough by guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there something you buy or provide that you feel is not used often enough by guests?
A wee example from me was from the discussions here about microwaves. After a couple calls from businesses asking me for their business clients "Do you have a microwave they can use?" I figured it was a good thing to get. NO ONE USES IT, EVER. Wait, those who do not know what a kettle is have used it on ocassion.
Outdoor settees?
These things we clean every year when winter is past and wonder why we even have them, just to clean them I suppose.

I have quit subscribing to the all but my local paper and two magazines. First year there were 2 papers and 6 magazines that nobody looked at.

we used to get the National Newspaper on Sat and Sunday but have nocked it off. We get several local mags free so leave them out to read. But don't pay for anything.

Yeah, that microwave doesn't ever get used. Almost everything else we've gotten seems to get used.

Sanitary bags. But it's not like it gets outdated so I don't mind that I bought then (personalized covers from Greenwich Bay)
Movies. Hardly anyone watches them.
Games. No one every plays them.

Yeah, that microwave doesn't ever get used. Almost everything else we've gotten seems to get used..
Do you have microwave popcorn to go with the microwave? Mine gets used for that.
Innkeep said:
Do you have microwave popcorn to go with the microwave? Mine gets used for that.
No. I would but I have someone here who absolutely goes mad when he smells microwave popcorn and says it smells like p!%5.

We were putting soft drinks in the mini-fridge, but stopped doing it because most people brought their own. Instead, I offer them something to drink when they arrive. It comes across as a little more attentive and personal, I think.
Our advertising features a photo of the red rocking chairs on our porch. Everyone comments about how inviting and homey they make the place look, blah, blah, blah.
No one ever sits in them! One thing I think we have realized is that sometimes it's the idea of something being there that creates ambience and a mood people are looking for. This matters as much as anything whether your decorating for indoor or outdoor spaces.
There is an emotional connection (for some people) to a bed and breakfast that they will not have with another kind of lodging.

Our rockers/wicker on the porch is used less than 25% of the time for guests. It is something they all love and comment on when they book a room, so it is just one of those things. Have all 19 ferns hanging around out there and pansies on the side tables. But the two guests per month who really like it on the porch use it all the time.

Yeah, that microwave doesn't ever get used. Almost everything else we've gotten seems to get used..
Innkeep said:
No popcorn because I don't want greasy fingers all over everything!

I used to have a miscrowave in the common area upstairs with popcorn, took both away .... my long stay guest(s) have access to my kitchen and made popcorn a few weeks ago and it reminded me why I took it away ...

Innkeep said:
No. I would but I have someone here who absolutely goes mad when he smells microwave popcorn and says it smells like p!%5.
I too love popcorn but really hate the smell it makes. Smells like old, unwashed socks. We have a pretty good selection of DVDs for movie nights so I love the idea but I'm pretty sure it would back-fire. If we have kids here in our family room, it's a miserable day and they've announced their intention to stay inside I will offer to make them popcorn. We have a bunch of those new "old style" individual, plastic popcorn holders that work well.

The only kind of popcorn I am allowed to pop is the orville's simply salted. It is that butter additive that stinks like "Wee, Dirty Socks" etc. He still doesn't like the smell of any of it, but this is the least smelly.

also we used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever left money to pay for anything so we knocked it off.

also we used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever left money to pay for anything so we knocked it off..
Nice, so it was technically a "dishonesty fridge"! People...
cry_smile.gif

also we used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever left money to pay for anything so we knocked it off..
also we used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever left money to pay for anything so we knocked it off.
Fridge in room. Little note to enjoy the bottled water. At $4/pop. We bought a 24 pack for $2.99 instead.

Back