Think back to when you bought your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, that's what I mean. My DH is from Maine and, while I know I am a Mid-Western girl at heart, I really do love the coast of Maine. I could see us there, but with our kids, it makes me very nervous to think about THAT kind of move.
We do know that we want to be in a destination instead of trying to become the destination. That much we know...other than that, it is a major source of discussion.
I am also concerned about the level of competition in that area. I have heard that it is relatively cut-throat. That scares me. I know that my skin will thicken, but right now, I am too soft to live where I am afraid of being beaten up, business-wise..
emspiers said:
See, that's what I mean. My DH is from Maine and, while I know I am a Mid-Western girl at heart, I really do love the coast of Maine. I could see us there, but with our kids, it makes me very nervous to think about THAT kind of move.
We do know that we want to be in a destination instead of trying to become the destination. That much we know...other than that, it is a major source of discussion.
I am also concerned about the level of competition in that area. I have heard that it is relatively cut-throat. That scares me. I know that my skin will thicken, but right now, I am too soft to live where I am afraid of being beaten up, business-wise.
The coast of Maine is cut-throat? Have I not bared my soul on here? OK, certain towns are cut-throat, so you want to keep that in mind. But I don't think you're going to meet a whole lot of people more openly friendly than the bunch I've met here. Yeah, with kids it's tough to move. But what are you thinking the negatives are in moving your kids?
Bree, yes, you have bared your soul on here. As an aspiring, I appreciate how transparent you are. It makes the concept of being an innkeeper more real and, at the same time, more scary. However, even after reading all the posts my heart is still in B&B mode. I've worked for almost 2 years as an Innkeepers Assistant and I've still not lost the initial desire to own my own B&B.
Thank you to all who have posted the "dirty side" of innkeeping on all the other forums. I think that it is very important to know so that we aspirings don't go into it with unrealistic expectations.
The negatives that I have been thinking about are in regard to two things: the ages of our children (10 & 9) and the moving away from family to live where there isn't any. Emotionally, that is the hardest part for me. I don't want to leave my folks, siblings, ectera, yet. They are the ones who would be our support group as we first get started. But if we live 16 hours away, there goes the stability of grandma/grandpa/uncle/aunt at a time when the kids would not only be losing us to insane hours of work, but a new house/neighborhood/community. In addition to losing our attention 24/7, they would be gaining a bunch of strangers coming in and out at all hours, sharing cold breakfasts in the kitchen and cleaning up peed on mattresses (sorry Bree.).
Strangely enough, the flip side to all of that is the fact that we would be working together as a family. We could live in a beautiful part of the country. I think the most important part of it for me is that when they leave the nest, I'll have something to do. That has been my biggest concern about being a stay-at-home mom: when they leave, I'll be bored. I won't have a "job". My "job" just started college; my "job" just got married...where does that leave me? As an innkeeper!
I KNOW that those are real issues and I have been waiting on the Good Lord to put my mind at ease regarding them.
The negatives that I have been thinking about are in regard to two things: the ages of our children (10 & 9) and the moving away from family to live where there isn't any. Emotionally, that is the hardest part for me. I don't want to leave my folks, siblings, ectera, yet. They are the ones who would be our support group as we first get started. But if we live 16 hours away, there goes the stability of grandma/grandpa/uncle/aunt at a time when the kids would not only be losing us to insane hours of work, but a new house/neighborhood/community. In addition to losing our attention 24/7, they would be gaining a bunch of strangers coming in and out at all hours, sharing cold breakfasts in the kitchen and cleaning up peed on mattresses (sorry Bree.).
Do you dislike where you are living now? Why do you want to move elsewhere? Is there nothing in your current area that would be a good facility for a B & B? Do the kids feel the same way about doing a B & B? Are they excited about it? reluctant? I am sure they will grow to like it? Unless they are truly TOTALLY onboard - start saving and wait until later.
As for using the B & B to fill the empty nest - what enpty nest? I did the victory dance! I raised kids that not only did I not kill them, they did not kill each other after all AND they became productive, upright citizens. YEA!!! That being said, if you consider being a mother your life's job, you will never be ready for another because then there will be grandchildren, etc Yes, being a good mother and raising my kids was that phase of my life, but I always had the carrot of a life of my own to lead me on - little did I know that I still need the carrot as we go from doctor appointment to doctor appointment..... At least I am living where I want to be! I did not get stuck living in Illinois that is so flat and full of people..... Yes, I left family for where I had to live, where my roots are and where I have no family whatsoever.
Think it out. How important is family to you (remember your parents will be getting older and are you going to want to/have to take care of them)? Why do you want to move?

It was the laundry service that was the deciding factor.
I knew if we opened a B&B, I wanted to do it right. To me, that meant egyptian cotton sheets. And, I knew we would be busy, and I was not going to iron 4 sets of sheets.
That was the ONLY thing I was concerned about.
Hence -- there IS a laundry service, they drop off and deliver.
And we went from there.
And

Back