Think Reservations or Little Hotelier?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using think Reservations for the past 6 years, no big issues. I get a call from LH which I've received in the past along with many other companies wanting me to change. But I looked into it a bit further and they don't charge a commission (as a channel manager) on the bookings? Seems odd anyone have LH? Do you like them?
All advice welcome.

I've been using think Reservations for the past 6 years, no big issues. I get a call from LH which I've received in the past along with many other companies wanting me to change. But I looked into it a bit further and they don't charge a commission (as a channel manager) on the bookings? Seems odd anyone have LH? Do you like them?
All advice welcome.
Like Gillum, I use Reservation Key, does what I need at a reasonable cost.

That said, everyone wants us to change to whatever they are selling, so my advice is that we have to decide what features and prices are important for our needs.

What does it cost? Every seller has a point where he is the cheapest, but look at the big picture, where is his plan going to cost more? Usually that place where there is an extra charge isn't mentioned in the pitch.

If thinking about a change create a grid [I use an Excel spreadsheet] listing features and costs of various offerings. Don't limit yourself to just 2, make a change if needed to suit you, not the salesman.

Consider the value of your own time, the effort of changing and learning a new system.

Exactly as JimBoone has said. What I will say about ReservationKey is that there are innkeepers in the UK who were looking to change what they had and I told them about RezKey as we call it for brevity. I know of several who use it now. Most take deposits (I do not), many have the credit card number entered - so the deposit can be taken & RezKey has that to have to do the proof with) I prefer to call them to get the # and it gives me a chance to find out if it is a special visit, getaway, or pass-through. It has reports, yield management, add-ons, you can set it to # of nights required for certain dates, stayovers or departing reports for housekeepers, all sorts of reports and abilities - most of which I do not use with 3 rooms and no staff. But it has what is needed by small to quite large facilities. He was just getting started when I signed on. As innkeepers discovered features they wanted and asked for, those features were added.

What got me hooked was the fee is tiered to number of rooms so I am not paying the same gee as JimBoone with his 8 rooms (the ROI would be great for him but not for me. The support is great and there is also a user Forum to ask questions - like here - how do I do this, this is what is happening so how do I fix. It is the one I know and it DOES interface with the OTAs if you wish to go that route. Look at them, features, costs, Support, auto-responses to guests (YOU write them so it is what YOU want to say and you can personalize the Thank you for your stay before the basic one goes out or just let it go as is).

Exactly as JimBoone has said. What I will say about ReservationKey is that there are innkeepers in the UK who were looking to change what they had and I told them about RezKey as we call it for brevity. I know of several who use it now. Most take deposits (I do not), many have the credit card number entered - so the deposit can be taken & RezKey has that to have to do the proof with) I prefer to call them to get the # and it gives me a chance to find out if it is a special visit, getaway, or pass-through. It has reports, yield management, add-ons, you can set it to # of nights required for certain dates, stayovers or departing reports for housekeepers, all sorts of reports and abilities - most of which I do not use with 3 rooms and no staff. But it has what is needed by small to quite large facilities. He was just getting started when I signed on. As innkeepers discovered features they wanted and asked for, those features were added.

What got me hooked was the fee is tiered to number of rooms so I am not paying the same gee as JimBoone with his 8 rooms (the ROI would be great for him but not for me. The support is great and there is also a user Forum to ask questions - like here - how do I do this, this is what is happening so how do I fix. It is the one I know and it DOES interface with the OTAs if you wish to go that route. Look at them, features, costs, Support, auto-responses to guests (YOU write them so it is what YOU want to say and you can personalize the Thank you for your stay before the basic one goes out or just let it go as is).
While I’m sure Reservation Key has grown, it is nice dealing with a person who cares rather than a huge organization. Most mornings I spend a few minutes on the forum, chances to learn or offer help.

Love Reservation Key. Does everything I need and more, great price, and very responsive staff and forum. The bottom line is that the reservations come in smoothly, charge card info is captured and handled and I don't have to take a yearly refresher course on how to secure the card info because THEY handle that!

Love Reservation Key. Does everything I need and more, great price, and very responsive staff and forum. The bottom line is that the reservations come in smoothly, charge card info is captured and handled and I don't have to take a yearly refresher course on how to secure the card info because THEY handle that!
What do you do if a guest has additional charges as part of their stay?

Everyone's operation is different, but I can:
Change the length of the visit
Change a rate
Add a fee
Add an item for sale
Add a discount

All advice welcome.
My two cents on the subject of reservation software can be found in this post. Your mileage will vary ;-)

Scott

ResKey has two places I can enter additional charges, like for damages or if they want a coffee mug.

One is "Fees," where I've pre-defined a few things, like use of an air mattress, but there's also an "Other" catch all where I can manually type in what the additional fee is for, add the price, add the quantity, and mark check boxes to add or not add taxes.

The other place to add extra charges is under "Items For Sale" where I've pre-definined Late Check Out, Romance Package (chocolates and bubbly), Roses, etc. This also has an "Other" field I can select to add charges for something unusual.

Once the additional charges are added, I go to the Payments tab and charge their card for the balance due, or a portion of that.

Complete control over stuff like this.

Thank you everyone for your candid opinions. All were very helpful. I think at this point I'm most likely going to stay with Think Rez. @scottcrumpton thank you for your information, very helpful indeed.

Anyone out there use ResNexus?
Hi there,
We use ResNexus for the last 5 years and have been happy with it overall. Service response is quick when needed and changes or enhancement requests are addressed, depending on the priority of course. Monthly online webinars are helpful. New features and updates almost monthly. Some changes take time to get use to. We also use their CC payment and fees are good and payment is quick. I noticed on the this thread the mention of OTA rates. They do charge a fee of 1% with direct inventory control, which I found less than most other systems. No fee on Google Hotel reservations via direct connection.

Anyone out there use ResNexus?
We have used ResNexus since 2009. Good service for sure, lots of options including bells and whistles we don't need. My perception is that it is on the expensive side for our 5-room inn. We've looked changing a couple times but decided the savings didn't make it worth it.

Back