Thinking about starting our own B & B.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevtan123

Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to find information for starting this type of business?

Keep reading here. There are lots of books..just go to your library. Go to the resources here. there are some helpful fact sheets.

Welcome.
Start with your library. Tons of books on how to start or open a B&B.
Then take some aspiring classes and read this forum for the down and dirty about innkeeping.
PAII has a huge conference in ATL this coming year (someone else can post the dates, is it in FEB? and MidAtlantic area has one in JAN I think). Where are you located? That might help direct some of the answers.
All the best.

Welcome to the forum!
I started by going to the library.
Then I found the predecessor to this forum and started reading. You'll learn way more here than you'll learn from the books, but they are useful, too. I made it my goal to read everything ever written.
Then I went to an aspiring innkeeper seminar by Kathleen Panek, Gillum House B&B, Shinnston, WV.
I also interviewed innkeepers as I was able... but not until I'd done most of the prior research above. I scheduled tours with them, in advance, and was respectful of their time. But hands on tours were also very educational--every innkeeper does things so differently!
All four methods were highly educational and allowed us to open with a minimum of hassles and missteps. (We're still new, but so far so good!)
Good luck to you!!
=)
Kk.

Go to www.paii.org for info on the next PAII conference, other conferences, aspiring classes, internships at B&Bs, and a resource section with reading material. You can also hang out here and find out lots of info.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! I didn't know I wanted to be an innkeeper until I started working as an Innkeeper Assistant. I learned a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. It has helped me to solidify my ideas by learning on the job!!!!

What was the predecessor to this website?.
bandb.about.com it was supposed to be about traveling to B&B's but the only regular posters there happened to be innkeepers (most of the regulars that are now here), so it sort of became an innkeeper forum for many years.

Welcome - we got the Idiots Guide to Bed and Breakfasts and a couple of other books that really had some meat to them about the business. Then we went to two aspiring innkeepers workshops... by that time we knew this is what we wanted to do and then we started looking for the right place. Good luck to you!

Back