Third Floor Nursery?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv4life

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at properties to open or build a bed and breakfast. One of the homes I have looked at has a bedroom on the third floor. There is a bedroom on the second floor with a private staircase up to the third floor room. The realtor mentioned that the third floor room was a nursery for the former owners. This got me thinking. Would it be a good idea to set this room up as a nursery for guests with kids? The room is fairly small and can only be accessed from the second story bedroom and is the only room on that floor. There are two doors, at the top and bottom of the staircase. Any feedback? Thank you!
Shane

Who wants kids running around or crying in the room above them? Not me.

I think you'd get a lot more benefit my making it a really nice sitting room that's a benefit of staying in the 2nd floor bedroom. Put a flat screen TV, mini-fridge, Keurig coffee machine, small ice maker, and some comfortable seating up there. That would be a lot more popular than a very rarely used nursery. Many B&B's don't even accept small children.

Agree. It would make a great sitting room. Especially if there is a view. You can hide a rollaway bed in the upstairs room to make it flexible for unmarried adults or a group of three.

Unless your focus is families, forget about a nursery! What type of b&b guest would be attracted to that area? What's your niche? If it's romantic getaway, then keep the children away.
If you don't have a niche, find one. You can't be everything to everybody. By the way, there is a huge market for family friendly b&bs. But along with that comes more cleaning, more liability, more problems. But if that's your thing, then go for it. I'm turning away families all the time.

Do not even consider a child's room on the 3rd floor. NEVER. Has nothing to do with taking the little beasts (I do) or not. But it DOES have to so with safety. Should there be an emergency - how is the kid going to get OUT. Here, IF there is guestroom on the 3rd floor, no ifs, ands, or buts - there MUST be an outside staircase to ground. And that is meant for adults. (IF OQ, not required - you are OK to be toast)

It could be a nice suite for anyone. Make the upstairs into a sitting room or second bedroom. You'll have to check the fire code in your area.

Most fire codes will not allow any guest occupancy of a third floor without an external fire escape and no insurance company will allow children on a third floor. Consider third floors only for owners quarters or storage, other than that they have no value.

Most fire codes will not allow any guest occupancy of a third floor without an external fire escape and no insurance company will allow children on a third floor. Consider third floors only for owners quarters or storage, other than that they have no value..
An Old Tavernkeeper said:
Most fire codes will not allow any guest occupancy of a third floor without an external fire escape and no insurance company will allow children on a third floor. Consider third floors only for owners quarters or storage, other than that they have no value.
We have several Ind with 3rd floor rooms and no external fire escapes. I think that's a local regulation. These inns allow children in the 3rd floor rooms. Which is why I mentioned checking local fire codes.

Most fire codes will not allow any guest occupancy of a third floor without an external fire escape and no insurance company will allow children on a third floor. Consider third floors only for owners quarters or storage, other than that they have no value..
We have several Ind with 3rd floor rooms and no external fire escapes. I think that's a local regulation. These inns allow children in the 3rd floor rooms. Which is why I mentioned checking local fire codes.
Morticia said:
I believe the requirement is 2 forms of egress from any room used by guests. At least that was the requirement here. We placed our private area on the third floor and have chain ladders from each bed room handy if need be. It would have to be life or death for me to use one - just sayin'

Back