Third Party Credit Cards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there some verbiage you have on your online reservation system to warn about 3rd party credit cards? There is no tick box or anything on webervations asking this.
Example: A couple here for their wedding night, the name on the cc does not match the booking, the address is the bride and groom not the cc holder. I called to clarify and get the address, zip and v-code. Since Webervations no longer requires v-codes it is a sticky problem I am having of late. One guest was checking out and assumed it had all been taken care of, I DID have the inlaws cc # and expiration date but nothing else.
How can we handle this? I am getting more and more of these in this economy. I would prefer to run them as a gift certificate, but people are just booking the rooms for someone else.

If someone other than the people reserving the room is using their cc for the booking I call them and ask for their full address, then when I swipe the card and it asks me for zip code and address it matches and its taken care of with no problems from either side or extra charges to you.

I just got the third party's v code and address from Texas. I manually typed I all in, it timed out, I ran it all faster a comm error, I ran it four times total before it took! Each time increasing the likelihood of a user error on my behalf. I emailed the pdf statement for their stay to the cardholder.
This is why I love to just swipe through cc's from the card holder.
I have seen such an increase in this for this year.

My credit card machine doesn't even give me an option to input a zip code or an address. Should it?

If someone is using a credit card that is not one of the names of the guests, I will call the card holder and upon verification, will put the reservation in the cardholders name and the travelers as guests of.
For example
Mr. John Smith for guests: Tom and Linda Smith.
I learned this the hard way back when I was a newbie. A young woman used her mothers credit card for a weekend getaway with ber boy friend. The mother had no knowledge of it and disputed the whole thing.
sad_smile.gif

If someone is using a credit card that is not one of the names of the guests, I will call the card holder and upon verification, will put the reservation in the cardholders name and the travelers as guests of.
For example
Mr. John Smith for guests: Tom and Linda Smith.
I learned this the hard way back when I was a newbie. A young woman used her mothers credit card for a weekend getaway with ber boy friend. The mother had no knowledge of it and disputed the whole thing.
sad_smile.gif
Unfortunately it is not always easy to catch. If the booking is in one name only, then the cc is in another, is it the other party or someone else? It might even be the same last name as the booking, like in this case, it is the future in-laws paying for the room. Is this HIS real name? I get that too, F. Scott Jones and the cc says Frank - well Frank is Dad, which is why he goes by Scott. I will add a line to the reserv info, but it is on my end, so prob will not get read, if weberv had a line for it, then it would be more accurate, ie ADDRESS of cardholder...

My credit card machine doesn't even give me an option to input a zip code or an address. Should it?.
oceans said:
My credit card machine doesn't even give me an option to input a zip code or an address. Should it?
If you manually input the cc then you should be required to put in address (ie 3978 and zip 92104) for lower fees. Some cc companies require this to run the card without the v-code.

I always follow up online reservations with a phone call. It avoids many problems. There is always the chance that your email confirmation back to the booking party gets stuck in their spam filter and then you have another issue.

Back