This chap was on the forum here a while back...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel sorry for that couple as we spoke a couple of times and they seemed nice. In the UK the regs aren't half as strict as they seem to be in the USA about opening up - what you have to do to operate seems to be about the same

People think it will disrupt their neighborhood, when the people are asked, they almost always object. I was surprised to see one turned down here in our little town a while back. The neighbors simply said "Not in our neighborhood" and it was a done deal..
It's funny, because if well run it should actually increase the value of the properties because B&Bs are the FIRST people to notice any changes in the neighbourhood, things that need to be cleaned, etc.
On the street where we used to live, we were the first to call the city if they didn't pick up the garbage, a car was parked for too longer or someone was doing something else illegal.

People think it will disrupt their neighborhood, when the people are asked, they almost always object. I was surprised to see one turned down here in our little town a while back. The neighbors simply said "Not in our neighborhood" and it was a done deal..
It's funny, because if well run it should actually increase the value of the properties because B&Bs are the FIRST people to notice any changes in the neighbourhood, things that need to be cleaned, etc.
On the street where we used to live, we were the first to call the city if they didn't pick up the garbage, a car was parked for too longer or someone was doing something else illegal.
We call them NIMBY's - Not in my backyard
Its a nonsense really as areas with B&B's are generally low crime as they know there is a lot of people at home during the day keeping an eye out

Its a nonsense really as areas with B&B's are generally low crime as they know there is a lot of people at home during the day keeping an eye out
Yup, people don't think. A B&B owner is always around. We had a case a few weeks ago where a guy was going house to house on a holiday asking if people needed painting work done. Had the police here in a couple of minutes to ask him about what he was doing, because my first thought was that he was trying to see who wasn't home and easy to break in.

Yup, people don't think. A B&B owner is always around. We had a case a few weeks ago where a guy was going house to house on a holiday asking if people needed painting work done. Had the police here in a couple of minutes to ask him about what he was doing, because my first thought was that he was trying to see who wasn't home and easy to break in.
One of the oldest tricks is to put a flyer through the door with a bit sticking out on the outside of the door - see which ones have been taken in and which havn't the next day

What I point out is the fact that IF you have a B & B next door you have no worry about lack of maintenance. If you do not have a B & B next door, the house can fall in on itself, dragging down YOUR property values, and you cannot do a diddly darn thing about it.

One of the oldest tricks is to put a flyer through the door with a bit sticking out on the outside of the door - see which ones have been taken in and which havn't the next day
In the afternoon, they just have to ring bells. It's the best time to rob. Not around here, though. I'm usually around all day.

Back