This chap was on the forum here a while back...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Stonehenge B&B, Richmond VA
http://www.stonehengebedandbreakfast.net/
take a look at the website...and politely discuss. We warn folks all the time, do your homework, you can't just open a B&B anywhere...

Oh golly. That is awful. And he says he had written authorization to go ahead with his plans. Wonder if he ran into a zoning issue or just neighbors who don't want B&B riffraff driving around.

Oh golly. That is awful. And he says he had written authorization to go ahead with his plans. Wonder if he ran into a zoning issue or just neighbors who don't want B&B riffraff driving around..
Imagine you've been enjoying your backyard picnic table and chairs for the past 10 years when suddenly, for no apparent reason, you are served notice from a government agency that you will be fined $6,000 a day unless you remove them.
Ok ! now what about just removing Pcinic table and chairs. ?A bit of a pain yes. But to close your shop. ??? This sounds to easy! In princapal I can see a fight but in reality, If that is what it takes to keep my B&B open. I would just remove them. This sounds to easy. There has to be a bit more to this then that???? Any way you shake it is is god awful! I feel for them .

The site and it's posts seem to indicate the writer is not intent on building a sympathetic coalition in order to try again

What a shame. I can only guess there's some history, and personality conflicts, that led up to this. The old "you can't fight city hall" adage is very true. You've got to get along with them rather than taking an adversarial "my home is my castle" position.

Where did you come across this? Copyright date is 2010. Seems like this is old news. Wasn't this person here way back when? I remember it clearly. Never thought that was going to fly either. I know the area.

Where did you come across this? Copyright date is 2010. Seems like this is old news. Wasn't this person here way back when? I remember it clearly. Never thought that was going to fly either. I know the area..
EmptyNest said:
Where did you come across this? Copyright date is 2010. Seems like this is old news. Wasn't this person here way back when? I remember it clearly. Never thought that was going to fly either. I know the area.
I am clicking on member inns on this forum, and that was what came up.
I am putting together a Google map of member inns while I wait for check ins. A half dozen have come back void, out of business. Some are no longer active here, of course, but I won't make that judgement, if it is still here I am adding it. US and Canada for the most part, overseas is trickier to get on a Google map (esp when the website is in a foreign language).

What a shame. I can only guess there's some history, and personality conflicts, that led up to this. The old "you can't fight city hall" adage is very true. You've got to get along with them rather than taking an adversarial "my home is my castle" position..
Arkansawyer said:
What a shame. I can only guess there's some history, and personality conflicts, that led up to this. The old "you can't fight city hall" adage is very true. You've got to get along with them rather than taking an adversarial "my home is my castle" position.
Very true, you don't just march in and blow your horn and make the rest of the citizens genuflect. Cooperation!!

Where did you come across this? Copyright date is 2010. Seems like this is old news. Wasn't this person here way back when? I remember it clearly. Never thought that was going to fly either. I know the area..
EmptyNest said:
I am putting together a Google map of member inns while I wait for check ins. A half dozen have come back void, out of business. Some are no longer active here, of course, but I won't make that judgement, if it is still here I am adding it. US and Canada for the most part, overseas is trickier to get on a Google map (esp when the website is in a foreign language).
Joey Bloggs said:
I am clicking on member inns on this forum, and that was what came up. I am putting together a Google map of member inns while I wait for check ins.
So you're only including those that list their inn name and website in their account settings? That misses a lot of good ones!

EmptyNest said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I am clicking on member inns on this forum, and that was what came up. I am putting together a Google map of member inns while I wait for check ins.
So you're only including those that list their inn name and website in their account settings? That misses a lot of good ones!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Given the other thread I think JB is going to the websites and unable to find the address info on the individual websites.

Richmond is known to be a very very difficult place to open a B&B. Don't know why they are so against them...
riki

EmptyNest said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Given the other thread I think JB is going to the websites and unable to find the address info on the individual websites.
Madeleine said:
But it sounds like she's only going to inns that list their web address here ("I am clicking on member inns on this forum"), and I think most of us do not. There's a "Member B&B's" link at the bottom of this page, and I'm guessing that's where she's doing the clicking, but it only lists inns who put their URL in their account info here. And I'd guess that a lot of those listed are inactive/out of business, as she mentioned.
Wonder what she's up to.... She sure finds ways to keep busy!!!

Richmond is known to be a very very difficult place to open a B&B. Don't know why they are so against them...
riki.
Maybe they should just do what most of the other illegal B&Bs do... open on Air, put no real pictures, don't declare the B&B and violate all the city ordinances.

riki.
Maybe they should just do what most of the other illegal B&Bs do... open on Air, put no real pictures, don't declare the B&B and violate all the city ordinances.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
After trying to get legal in Richmond, that's exactly what many do. Go on AirBNB.com
RIki

riki.
egoodell said:
riki
Obvious to me. Somebody with a hotel doesn't like the competition and has friends in high places. Sounds like it's coming from the county, not the city.
Oh well. Can't fight county hall.

Most HoA's that I've heard of do not allow you to run a business from your home, period.

People think it will disrupt their neighborhood, when the people are asked, they almost always object. I was surprised to see one turned down here in our little town a while back. The neighbors simply said "Not in our neighborhood" and it was a done deal.

Most HoA's that I've heard of do not allow you to run a business from your home, period..
SM101 said:
Most HoA's that I've heard of do not allow you to run a business from your home, period.
But HoA's are mostly worthless if someone is willing to fight. There is a subdivision with a HoA right next to me. When we started our permitting process we were told we may have a battle on our hands because of the HoA. I said we are not IN their neighborhood and are not bound by their covenants.
Then one of the neighbors in the SD came over to speak with us. She told us that she battled the HoA & local gov. in order to have a small one chair salon in her home. She took them to court and won. She told us there is a federal law that states that one has the right to work out of their home. The issues are whether it is going to affect the rights of the neighbors to live in a peaceful area and why we have zoning boards to keep everything peaceful. We all need to be good neighbors.

Most HoA's that I've heard of do not allow you to run a business from your home, period..
SM101 said:
But HoA's are mostly worthless if someone is willing to fight. There is a subdivision with a HoA right next to me. When we started our permitting process we were told we may have a battle on our hands because of the HoA. I said we are not IN their neighborhood and are not bound by their covenants.
Then one of the neighbors in the SD came over to speak with us. She told us that she battled the HoA & local gov. in order to have a small one chair salon in her home. She took them to court and won. She told us there is a federal law that states that one has the right to work out of their home. The issues are whether it is going to affect the rights of the neighbors to live in a peaceful area and why we have zoning boards to keep everything peaceful. We all need to be good neighbors.
When I opened my City had no zoning. We do now and I was on the (still am in fact) on the Planning & Zoning Commission. I made sure a B & B can go into any district BUT to be good neighbors they must have a minimum of one off-street parking place for guest room.

Back