This icon is not that accurate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
icon-children-no.gif

John B of BandB.com is there any way to have more than one icon for NO CHILDREN or CHILDREN over a certain age allowed? Many BnB's one city page I am viewing have the NO CHILDREN ICON and many DO accept children over a certain age or with parental supervision or it says limited, please call the innkeeper.
I have bypassed many and then realized they were not NO CHILDREN at all.

My listing has the "Children Welcome" icon and we only accept them over a certain age. hmmmm......

John is on vacation, but I can try to help. This is a good question. When you set up your bbcom listing, under poicies, in the question about kids, you it asks:
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
It's clear which icon will be displayed if you click yes or no, but I'm not sure what happens if you click "limited" which is quite common at many B&Bs. I'll check and report back.
Thanks, Sandy

John is on vacation, but I can try to help. This is a good question. When you set up your bbcom listing, under poicies, in the question about kids, you it asks:
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
It's clear which icon will be displayed if you click yes or no, but I'm not sure what happens if you click "limited" which is quite common at many B&Bs. I'll check and report back.
Thanks, Sandy.
Limited choice gives you the children welcome icon. That's what we have here.

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
Those I looked at DID accept kids age 12 or older or call the inn to discuss. The icon showed the image I posted above, on all of them. I looked at about 8 BnB's.
Thanks Sandy for looking into it.

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
Those I looked at DID accept kids age 12 or older or call the inn to discuss. The icon showed the image I posted above, on all of them. I looked at about 8 BnB's.
hmmm...Interesting that I'm getting the other one then!

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
Samster is correct -- the kids OK icon shows if you accept kids of some age, then the details are displayed under policies in your listing. In addition to the yes/limited/no radio buttons, it reads, "children must be at least <dropdown box for age> years old, followed by "explain policy" --- to change/update your info, just login to your home base, click "edit listing" then "policies."
Icons are tough -- they are helpful for high level info, but are a bit tricky on the details. Smoking is similar -- almost no inns allow smoking inside any more, but the icon doesn't really tell you if it's allowed on a porch or prohibited even on the grounds!

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
Samster is correct -- the kids OK icon shows if you accept kids of some age, then the details are displayed under policies in your listing. In addition to the yes/limited/no radio buttons, it reads, "children must be at least <dropdown box for age> years old, followed by "explain policy" --- to change/update your info, just login to your home base, click "edit listing" then "policies."
Icons are tough -- they are helpful for high level info, but are a bit tricky on the details. Smoking is similar -- almost no inns allow smoking inside any more, but the icon doesn't really tell you if it's allowed on a porch or prohibited even on the grounds!
SandySoule said:
First search is Virginia - Charlottesville GC (it must be in frames, I couldn't post the exact page) If you,mouse over the icon it states NO CHILDREN
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/GiftCertificateSearch.aspx the first inn Harmony Hill NO KIDS ICON
open it
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/virginia-lovingston-harmonyhillbb.html "CHILDREN ARE WELCOME" in policies
Second BnB - High Meadows NO KIDS ICON, open it and "limitations on children, please call for information "

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
First search is Virginia - Charlottesville GC (it must be in frames, I couldn't post the exact page) If you,mouse over the icon it states NO CHILDREN
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/GiftCertificateSearch.aspx the first inn Harmony Hill NO KIDS ICON
open it
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/virginia-lovingston-harmonyhillbb.html "CHILDREN ARE WELCOME" in policies
Second BnB - High Meadows NO KIDS ICON, open it and "limitations on children, please call for information "
sounds like bug! will check further, thanks!

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
open it
That first link is not right.
I wonder if it is possible that they checked the wrong box but put in the right words so it makes it look like there is disagreement?

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
open it
I wonder if it is possible that they checked the wrong box but put in the right words so it makes it look like there is disagreement?
swirt said:
Yeah, when you search for BnB's that accept BandB.com GC's you search by state and the URL is static for the search page, not specific to the state I was looking at for examples. I attempted a screen print and chrome didn't cooperate, I even pasted it into wordpad...oh well no biggee.
My onw inn has the no chidlren icon and then: Accommodations are not suitable for children (Children age 14 and over with parent) on my page.

Thanks guys! It is a bug, and we appreciate that you helped us discover it. It's now been added to our tech list, and will get fixed in the coming weeks. It may take a little longer than usual, since some of our top guys will be on vacation. In any case, anytime anyone notices anything like this, please let us know, either directly or via this forum, so that we can get it fixed.

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
open it
swirt said:
Yeah, when you search for BnB's that accept BandB.com GC's you search by state and the URL is static for the search page, not specific to the state I was looking at for examples. I attempted a screen print and chrome didn't cooperate, I even pasted it into wordpad...oh well no biggee.
My onw inn has the no chidlren icon and then: Accommodations are not suitable for children (Children age 14 and over with parent) on my page.
But on the checkbox selection, which one is checked for your account?
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
open it
swirt said:
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Wooo this is creepy. Twice in the same thread Sandy and I have posted at the exact same time.
Thanks for checking into it Sandy. Good detective work Joe.

Sandy,
Perhaps you could incorporate a NEW icon to reflect any restrictions at a glance. For example:
nochild.jpg
Children over the age of 12 allowed.

Thanks guys! It is a bug, and we appreciate that you helped us discover it. It's now been added to our tech list, and will get fixed in the coming weeks. It may take a little longer than usual, since some of our top guys will be on vacation. In any case, anytime anyone notices anything like this, please let us know, either directly or via this forum, so that we can get it fixed..
SandySoule said:
Thanks guys! It is a bug, and we appreciate that you helped us discover it. It's now been added to our tech list, and will get fixed in the coming weeks. It may take a little longer than usual, since some of our top guys will be on vacation. In any case, anytime anyone notices anything like this, please let us know, either directly or via this forum, so that we can get it fixed.
Thank you. For me it is a no brainer, we don't take kids, but as a guest looking for a place that DID (over a certain age) I crashed and burned real fast and gave up the search. So for those Inns I was concerned about lost revenue. Appreciate your tuning in and jumping on it.
regular_smile.gif

Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Thanks, Sandy.
Samster said:
SandySoule said:
open it
swirt said:
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
swirt said:
Suitable for children?
__Yes, all ages
__Limited
__No
Limited

Sandy,
Perhaps you could incorporate a NEW icon to reflect any restrictions at a glance. For example:
nochild.jpg
Children over the age of 12 allowed..
Proud Texan said:
Sandy,
nochild.jpg
Okay not to sound weird, but that kinda creeps me out. I know it is an icon amongst the others so won't be as creepy on its own...Maybe a Mommy and Daddy and child in the middle.
or for those who don't accept at all
images

FamilyFriendlyLogo.jpg

Sandy,
nochild.jpg
Proud Texan said:
Sandy,
nochild.jpg
Okay not to sound weird, but that kinda creeps me out. I know it is an icon amongst the others so won't be as creepy on its own...Maybe a Mommy and Daddy and child in the middle.
images

FamilyFriendlyLogo.jpg

Ha ha, I was thinking that some people would think they had to bring more than 12 kids.

Sandy,
nochild.jpg
Proud Texan said:
Sandy,
nochild.jpg
images

FamilyFriendlyLogo.jpg

Ha ha, I was thinking that some people would think they had to bring more than 12 kids.
LOL! Seriously, one of the challenges with these icons is keeping them comprehensible given their tiny size -- our designer had to go through a zillion versions before we settled on these!

Back