This Innkeeper Is Not Playing That Game!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW BB

Reaction score
So, I get an online reservation and under dietary restrictions, she puts "no butter, no lard, no oil, eggs beaters only".
Sure, no problem. I seem to get more dietary restrictions than most other places...I tear my hair out, but I get through it.
They check in, and they turn out to be a young couple (on their honeymoon). I'm doing my check-in speil and about 30 seconds into it, she goes to the cookie jar, takes out a couple of cookies and eats them. At this point, I ask which one of them has the dietary restrictions.......of course it's her! I tell her those cookies are loaded with butter. I ask her to verify that she wants no fats....oh yes, she tries to eat healthy, just use a little Pam spray when cooking and very little cheese, etc. She opens the cookie jar again and starts eating. I check them in, they want to know if there is a microwave they can use to cook a frozen pizza, popcorn, etc. Now I'm getting upset but not showing it.
By the end of the night, they had wiped me out of cookies, I had refilled the jar and they wiped me out again! I know it was them, because they were the only guests in the main house. By the way, the cookies we are known for are made with 1 pound of butter!!!! This is when I decide I am not playing that game. In the morning, I made my usual fat filled yummy breakfast but I have substituted egg beaters, no problem. They ate every bite. The next day, same thing....I'm not playing her game. Again, they kept wiping out the cookie jar. Just to give you an idea of how many they ate, DH put 14 (yup he counted them) cookies in the jar before we closed up for the night. They were all gone in the morning. Yes, they're rather small but they are really rich.
When they checked out, their trash was filled with all sorts of junk food wrappers. I am so glad I didn't budge on my breakfast!!!!
At what point do we say that's enough?

she said noting about the fat loaded breakfast but ate all of it? good for you for seeing what was up and not falling for it.

she said noting about the fat loaded breakfast but ate all of it? good for you for seeing what was up and not falling for it..
MooseTrax said:
she said noting about the fat loaded breakfast but ate all of it? good for you for seeing what was up and not falling for it.
Yup! AND she was gushing with how wonderful their stay was and how they'll be back.
This same scenario has happened before...once I see them raiding the cookie jar all the time, I'm not changing what's for breakfast. Part of it is that people just don't understand how it affects us.

"So, I get an online reservation and under dietary restrictions, she puts "no butter, no lard, no oil, eggs beaters only"
Reminds me of our "any dairy will kill my boyfriend" reservation maker who must have been as shocked as us to see him pour half a pitcher of H&H in his coffee, eat anything and everything available that was loaded with dairy AND cheese, etc.. the entire stay. When asked, we got the "Oh, I take my lactaid pills and I can eat anything.
"Sure, no problem. I seem to get more dietary restrictions than most other places...I tear my hair out, but I get through it."
Oh, I don't know. We're probably giving you a run for your money, but its a market niche that we're firmly planted in thanks to the vast abilities of "Her Royal Highness" here. Its not the restrictions themselves that bug us as my much better half can handle all comers, its the 180 or Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde ones you just finished with won't be straight with you. They probably spent the entire time laughing about it too, how they ran another subservient innkeeper through the wringer.
"At what point do we say that's enough?"
Ummm..... my "point" would have been right after only refilling the cookie jar with what I considered a reasonable number of cookies and had given them the "health code" speil about how guests can't use any kitchen utensils or facilities for sanitary and safety reasons. I'd also have drawn the line and only offered egg whites, because that egg beater stuff is Shite and a little carton of it costs more than even a whole dozen, free-range, gently coaxed from the hen, brown, organic eggs. You could have used the yolks in some other baking or added them to the breakfasts of the less contradictory new husband.

"So, I get an online reservation and under dietary restrictions, she puts "no butter, no lard, no oil, eggs beaters only"
Reminds me of our "any dairy will kill my boyfriend" reservation maker who must have been as shocked as us to see him pour half a pitcher of H&H in his coffee, eat anything and everything available that was loaded with dairy AND cheese, etc.. the entire stay. When asked, we got the "Oh, I take my lactaid pills and I can eat anything.
"Sure, no problem. I seem to get more dietary restrictions than most other places...I tear my hair out, but I get through it."
Oh, I don't know. We're probably giving you a run for your money, but its a market niche that we're firmly planted in thanks to the vast abilities of "Her Royal Highness" here. Its not the restrictions themselves that bug us as my much better half can handle all comers, its the 180 or Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde ones you just finished with won't be straight with you. They probably spent the entire time laughing about it too, how they ran another subservient innkeeper through the wringer.
Ummm..... my "point" would have been right after only refilling the cookie jar with what I considered a reasonable number of cookies and had given them the "health code" speil about how guests can't use any kitchen utensils or facilities for sanitary and safety reasons. I'd also have drawn the line and only offered egg whites, because that egg beater stuff is Shite and a little carton of it costs more than even a whole dozen, free-range, gently coaxed from the hen, brown, organic eggs. You could have used the yolks in some other baking or added them to the breakfasts of the less contradictory new husband..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Try 3 breakfasts (4 courses) for vegans who are gluten intolerant. I felt like opening the front door and inviting them to graze on the front lawn.

she said noting about the fat loaded breakfast but ate all of it? good for you for seeing what was up and not falling for it..
MooseTrax said:
Yup! AND she was gushing with how wonderful their stay was and how they'll be back.
This same scenario has happened before...once I see them raiding the cookie jar all the time, I'm not changing what's for breakfast. Part of it is that people just don't understand how it affects us.
NW BB said:
You are my hero! I am incorporating this into my philosophy!
=)
Kk.

Ummm..... my "point" would have been right after only refilling the cookie jar with what I considered a reasonable number of cookies and had given them the "health code" speil about how guests can't use any kitchen utensils or facilities for sanitary and safety reasons. I'd also have drawn the line and only offered egg whites, because that egg beater stuff is Shite and a little carton of it costs more than even a whole dozen, free-range, gently coaxed from the hen, brown, organic eggs. You could have used the yolks in some other baking or added them to the breakfasts of the less contradictory new husband..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
They probably spent the entire time laughing about it too, how they ran another subservient innkeeper through the wringer.
Oh, I doubt they were that spiteful... most people aren't.... more clueless in thinking that somehow using egg beaters and Pam will somehow allow them to eat junk food for the rest of the day.
=)
Kk.

Reminds me of the people that ask if they can get coffee earlier than 7am "because we are SUCH early risers, always up by 6am" (we have the coffee and hot water out no later than 7am). So you get up earlier to make sure the coffee is out by 6:00 or 6:30, and they roll out of bed at five minutes to brekkie and come to the table in their bathrobes.

Reminds me of the people that ask if they can get coffee earlier than 7am "because we are SUCH early risers, always up by 6am" (we have the coffee and hot water out no later than 7am). So you get up earlier to make sure the coffee is out by 6:00 or 6:30, and they roll out of bed at five minutes to brekkie and come to the table in their bathrobes..
I think they stayed here too. Truth to tell though, I think our beds are so comfortable that they - by their standards - oversleep. We provide such relaxing and peaceful atmospheres that even their "internal clocks" sleep. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Actually, they are always a little sheepish, and the comfort of the beds is always their excuse...I tell them that I take it as a major compliment when an early riser sleeps in here.

Reminds me of the people that ask if they can get coffee earlier than 7am "because we are SUCH early risers, always up by 6am" (we have the coffee and hot water out no later than 7am). So you get up earlier to make sure the coffee is out by 6:00 or 6:30, and they roll out of bed at five minutes to brekkie and come to the table in their bathrobes..
Little Blue said:
Reminds me of the people that ask if they can get coffee earlier than 7am "because we are SUCH early risers, always up by 6am" (we have the coffee and hot water out no later than 7am). So you get up earlier to make sure the coffee is out by 6:00 or 6:30, and they roll out of bed at five minutes to brekkie and come to the table in their bathrobes.
We show folks how to make their own coffee or give them directions for an early morning walk to the local grocery store if they need coffee before 7 AM. And, it's the same thing...they finally relax and don't even get out of bed until 9. But the cook needs his sleep so nothing before 7 AM. The folks who want to EAT at 7 AM or before are the worst. They don't seem to think that eating at 7 AM means the cook is up at 5 AM and will be rattling around in the kitchen making noise!

Little Blue said:
Bathrobes!?! Thats a B & B faux pas in my opinion. In fact we don't allow people to come to the table in robes or pajamas...no way.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Try 3 breakfasts (4 courses) for vegans who are gluten intolerant. I felt like opening the front door and inviting them to graze on the front lawn.
"Try 3 breakfasts (4 courses) for vegans who are gluten intolerant. I felt like opening the front door and inviting them to graze on the front lawn."
Not intending to do the one up here but, Been there, done that. The whole house for a week in fact, with a different baked goodie each morning, two different vegan and gluten-free, hot entrees each day.
They were all like Jungian/Buddhists on a retreat who also had funny guts on the wheat stuff.
If we could grow a nice lawn here, we'd think about offering it up.

Little Blue said:
Bathrobes!?! Thats a B & B faux pas in my opinion. In fact we don't allow people to come to the table in robes or pajamas...no way.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Little Blue said:
We see it all here. Bathrobes, jammies, what I thought were jammies but were actually her clothes (OMG!) Teens are the worst because they come to brekkie in their dorm clothes...boy shorts and tank tops...a little too much skin for where we are. They mostly leave immediately when they realize it's cold sitting on the wood chairs in those tiny shorts. And they'll come back in sweats.
Take it that they're really comfortable. Unless your place is very formal, then they should dress properly.

Little Blue said:
We had a couple having their "romantic dinner" on Sunday, their last of a 4-night stay. He came down and asked if they could come down to dinner in their robes (we provide robes). I told him sonce they were the only ones here, I did not care if they came down starkers. He went back upstairs and told his lady that they had to come down to dinner starkers. She told him where to put that idea..... We all had a good laugh about it. I thought it was great they felt that comfortable here.
Most times when guests come to breakfast in their robes, they are the only ones in-house.

Little Blue said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Little Blue said:
We see it all here. Bathrobes, jammies, what I thought were jammies but were actually her clothes (OMG!) Teens are the worst because they come to brekkie in their dorm clothes...boy shorts and tank tops...a little too much skin for where we are. They mostly leave immediately when they realize it's cold sitting on the wood chairs in those tiny shorts. And they'll come back in sweats.
Take it that they're really comfortable. Unless your place is very formal, then they should dress properly.
Our place is very casual, and so none of these things bother me....in fact very little bothers me at all. In over six years at the Inn, I've never had to talk to a guest about ANYTHING untoward except for the one dog lady that I left a note for as discussed in a previous thread. I've never had a guest complain about another guest, never felt taken advantage of by a guest, or felt that they were trying to beat me down or get a "win" over me or that they didn't appreciate what we offer...even at the height of a 85% occupied July.
I dunno, maybe I'm just laid back or maybe my guests are. Then again after years of eating corporate hotel boss crapola and needy complaining big hotel guest crapola, nothing torques me anymore...I'm just so grateful this place is mine, that I get to make my own decisions, and that my guests are so wonderful and that we've become so successful.
Yeesh, you'd think I was a newbie!! :)

because
when you're on a low fat, low cholesterol diet ... SNACKS don't count.
same with 'i'm on vacation, this won't matter'
then take any meds prescribed and hope to get away with it. i have a friend with no gallbladder and she sometimes eats what she's not supposed to and tells me the pain is excrutiating.
i'm guessing that they don't have cookies at home and devoured yours because they were soooo good. and then went on a binge with the junkfood.
seriously, it might be a gallbladder issue or other health issue where they are supposed to follow a prescriped diet and don't. i would have cooked their omelette (egg whites only) in the pam or whatever. because then i have done what i promised and if the guest ate other things he/she/they shouldn't, it was their call. i wasn't going to act as diet police.
i did stop purchasing the eggbeaters and started offering egg white omelettes instead which make guests quite happy. i think it was kathleen who explained about the eggbeaters. i didn't add food coloring to make the omelette yellow. just presented them with their lovely, white eggs.
as for guests who dive into the cookie jar and empty it ... there is a thread about this issue somewhere.
when i had guests do this, i did not refill. i took a little covered plate of cookies and put it in the guest room(s) of those not in yet because if i refilled the jar ... guests glommed what was there.

Little Blue said:
We had lots of folks who came to breakfast in OUR bathrobes. I think they think that was what they are for. Then others come down in very elaborate silk robes etc..beautiful. We didn't have a problem with it. Heck I thought it was alot better than some of those who came down in skimpy tank tops and short shorts. IF they were comfortable with it...hey...so were we:)

because
when you're on a low fat, low cholesterol diet ... SNACKS don't count.
same with 'i'm on vacation, this won't matter'
then take any meds prescribed and hope to get away with it. i have a friend with no gallbladder and she sometimes eats what she's not supposed to and tells me the pain is excrutiating.
i'm guessing that they don't have cookies at home and devoured yours because they were soooo good. and then went on a binge with the junkfood.
seriously, it might be a gallbladder issue or other health issue where they are supposed to follow a prescriped diet and don't. i would have cooked their omelette (egg whites only) in the pam or whatever. because then i have done what i promised and if the guest ate other things he/she/they shouldn't, it was their call. i wasn't going to act as diet police.
i did stop purchasing the eggbeaters and started offering egg white omelettes instead which make guests quite happy. i think it was kathleen who explained about the eggbeaters. i didn't add food coloring to make the omelette yellow. just presented them with their lovely, white eggs.
as for guests who dive into the cookie jar and empty it ... there is a thread about this issue somewhere.
when i had guests do this, i did not refill. i took a little covered plate of cookies and put it in the guest room(s) of those not in yet because if i refilled the jar ... guests glommed what was there..
I ended up not using the food coloring either. I just left one or two yolks in for color. There were probably 2 yolks to 10 or 12 (or more) egg whites. I just tell them there are more whites than yolks in the eggs. Rggs are 77 cents this week and I am stocking up. DH is complaining about lack of space in the fridge. Too bad! I love that price!
For those who are new here - 2 egg whites = 1 egg and it is cheaper to throw away the yolks than to buy egg beaters. 1 large carton of egg beaters = 8 eggs. Compare that price to the price of 18 eggs (the equivilant of 9 eggs).

We provide robes for our guests and a fair number of them show up at breakfast wearing them. It never bothers me. The fact that they feel so comfortable here is great. Usually it's the ones who said they would be up early and then end up sleeping in. We have a Keurig coffee machine set up in the dining room so if guests do get up at the crack of dawn they can help themselves to coffee or tea and we can sleep a little later.

Back