This is just not my week - Dealing with unexpected road construction in front of the Inn.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
There is unexpected roadwork as of yesterday in front of the Inn. Sewer line work. I had one guest yesterday complain about the noise, but despite my best efforts (we had no idea and have no control over it) they are still unhappy. I spoke to the forman and he agreed he would not start jackhammering or running large machinery until later that 9 am. My guests have a full view of the work from the breakfast table. Breakfast is a 9....groan....what would you do?

Tell the guests who have to witness the construction, 'Your tax dollars at work, enjoy the show!'
My dining room overlooks a very busy intersection where something is always going on. Guests seem to LIKE having something to look at in the morning, especially if it is someone else working while they're on vacation!
Another idea is to start breakfast earlier so it's almost over when the construction starts up.

Trade you. In Sept my City has Frontier Days. It has a carnival that starts set-up on Monday and tears down Saturday night after closing down. The "big" rides are set up in the parking lot across from my front porch. The kiddie rides are set up in the parking lot across the alley from my side yard. The Skee Ball Game trailer is set up tires against the curb of my sidewalk. I can almost reach out and touch it from my porch. What do I get out of it? I charge the Skee Ball guy $25 to plug into my electric for the week.
The first year I had guests booked - 2 rooms - and told them the carnival would be across the street. No problem. THEN I watched them setting up! I called the guests and told them I had a Skee Ball Trailer in front. CANCEL!!! Now that I know the setup, I do not even try for guests that week.

Did they tell you how long this work was going to take? As you said, you didn't know about it and have no control over it. Tell your guest the arrangement you made with the crew so they know you did whatever you could. You'll just have to grin and bear it. If the guests are unhappy, it's unfortunate, but there's no need for you to take responsibility for it.

A few years ago, the highway in front of the house was tore up, ground up and redone. For about a week straight, the house shook and rattled and the noise was deafening. We ended up with some new cracks in the plaster and other incidental damage, and while guests were warned in advance, once here, they all pretended not to even notice. The funniest part was going into the parlor in the afternoon and seeing an older gentleman sitting there reading his book as if nothing was going on. I almost snorted coffee out my nose and had to retreat to the kitchen to clean myself up.
We bitched about the road before it was done, bitched while it was being done, but it's smooth as a baby's bottom now!
Maybe you should tell the guests that you will take some short term noise from sewer work over the sewer problems that might have occurred without it!
rolleyes.gif

Two years ago my whole town was torn up all summer to do a water improvement project and this year we are scheduled for a sewer project. City needs it, I cannot control it, The only thing I have over everyone else other than Council is I will know WHEN since I take the minutes as City Clerk.
We as innkeepers can only tell our guests the current situation is something beyond our control. Had we known, we would have informed them in advance.

I would give ANYTHING to have our road repaved. I think it was last done in the 1920's!!! One of our guests commented that he didn't realize we live on a dirt road! We don't! I would love it if our tax dollars were going to road improvements in our town. If I heard a jackhammer on my road I would bring the workers free breakfast everyday!

I would give ANYTHING to have our road repaved. I think it was last done in the 1920's!!! One of our guests commented that he didn't realize we live on a dirt road! We don't! I would love it if our tax dollars were going to road improvements in our town. If I heard a jackhammer on my road I would bring the workers free breakfast everyday!.
my rural country road took 4 years to finish (was supposed to be 2)...believe me, during that entire time I would have rather had the pot holes.

Trade you. In Sept my City has Frontier Days. It has a carnival that starts set-up on Monday and tears down Saturday night after closing down. The "big" rides are set up in the parking lot across from my front porch. The kiddie rides are set up in the parking lot across the alley from my side yard. The Skee Ball Game trailer is set up tires against the curb of my sidewalk. I can almost reach out and touch it from my porch. What do I get out of it? I charge the Skee Ball guy $25 to plug into my electric for the week.
The first year I had guests booked - 2 rooms - and told them the carnival would be across the street. No problem. THEN I watched them setting up! I called the guests and told them I had a Skee Ball Trailer in front. CANCEL!!! Now that I know the setup, I do not even try for guests that week..
gillumhouse said:
The first year I had guests booked - 2 rooms - and told them the carnival would be across the street. No problem. THEN I watched them setting up! I called the guests and told them I had a Skee Ball Trailer in front. CANCEL!!! Now that I know the setup, I do not even try for guests that week.
Kathleen, you should find out who at the city coordinates this thing and impress on them how this impacts your business. They may be able to arrange a different distribution for the attractions. You have rights!
smiley-char124.gif

The first year I had guests booked - 2 rooms - and told them the carnival would be across the street. No problem. THEN I watched them setting up! I called the guests and told them I had a Skee Ball Trailer in front. CANCEL!!! Now that I know the setup, I do not even try for guests that week..
gillumhouse said:
Kathleen, you should find out who at the city coordinates this thing and impress on them how this impacts your business. They may be able to arrange a different distribution for the attractions. You have rights!
smiley-char124.gif

Kind of hard to do since I am part of the planning now. The first year I was not involved. City Hall reserves parking places for me - 1 for my car and spaces for guests (year #2 I gave a room to Miss WV who was in the parade and my brother stopped in so they were freebies) if I have any brave enough to book by putting up orange cones across the spaces.
The business next door to me had a fit, I looked at it as it was good for my City - and it is. There is no other place for the carnival. They left a route in for the physical therapy place next door (and they have parking behind their building) but they were torked off because their patients could not park across the street or directly in front. I prefer to work with the City for the common good. That goes a long way to making life good when you are an alien (meaning my family has not been here for at least 3 or 4 generations so they don't know "who's your Daddy?").
I do thank you for thinking of me though.

gillumhouse said:
smiley-char124.gif

Kind of hard to do since I am part of the planning now. The first year I was not involved. City Hall reserves parking places for me - 1 for my car and spaces for guests (year #2 I gave a room to Miss WV who was in the parade and my brother stopped in so they were freebies) if I have any brave enough to book by putting up orange cones across the spaces.
The business next door to me had a fit, I looked at it as it was good for my City - and it is. There is no other place for the carnival. They left a route in for the physical therapy place next door (and they have parking behind their building) but they were torked off because their patients could not park across the street or directly in front. I prefer to work with the City for the common good. That goes a long way to making life good when you are an alien (meaning my family has not been here for at least 3 or 4 generations so they don't know "who's your Daddy?").
gillumhouse said:
You would think that it would be in their best interest to take care of the local businesses. Carnivals don't pay taxes.

gillumhouse said:
smiley-char124.gif

gillumhouse said:
You would think that it would be in their best interest to take care of the local businesses. Carnivals don't pay taxes.
The carnival has a contract with the City. Trust me - they do pay. And the current ladies in charge of Administration at City Hall are VERY sharp at getting the best deal for the City (unlike them what they replaced!). I am about the only business in the City that does not make money that week. I could if I could serve breakfast to anyone other than than registered guests. The carny people kocked on my door almost every morning that first year wanting to buy breakfast.

gillumhouse said:
smiley-char124.gif

gillumhouse said:
The carnival has a contract with the City. Trust me - they do pay. And the current ladies in charge of Administration at City Hall are VERY sharp at getting the best deal for the City (unlike them what they replaced!). I am about the only business in the City that does not make money that week. I could if I could serve breakfast to anyone other than than registered guests. The carny people kocked on my door almost every morning that first year wanting to buy breakfast.
gillumhouse said:
Golly Girl! Just serve scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuits, hot coffee and juice only $20.00 per plate. Cha-Ching!
lol-053.gif

Seriously, you should consider it. Some income is better than no income.
Too bad you can't rent your rooms to the carny people.

gillumhouse said:
smiley-char124.gif

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Golly Girl! Just serve scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuits, hot coffee and juice only $20.00 per plate. Cha-Ching!
lol-053.gif

Seriously, you should consider it. Some income is better than no income.
Too bad you can't rent your rooms to the carny people.
State law says only registered guests and I have had enough of my own peeing contests in this town for someone to be all too happy to drop that dime (or 50 cents currently). Carny people have living quarters in their game trailers (I let the Skee Ball plug into my electric for $25) or they travel with campers. I have tried offering a "deal" to the carny operators (head honchos) but no dice so far. Oh well. Every club, non-profit, church group etc sets up a booth and makes money that week. One group made $800 on the dime pitch with dishes that were donated. Helps keep them from knocking on my door for donations during the year.

Back