This is the best job I have ever had because.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Keeper

Reaction score
I get to do things the way I want. If I screw up, there is only one way to point the finger. If I get it right, I get all the love. Needless to say, I much prefer getting it right.

I can make decisions without "going up the food chain", take the days I want when I want (for the most part), and I can tell the boss she is an idiot in whatever language comes to mind and not only not get fired - get confirmation. lastly, I can sleep at night with whatever decisions I made during the day because I felt they were the right decisions for ME. Oh, I can also pass guests on to someone else when it is not convenient for me.

The commute is short, the dress is casual and some of the nicest people in the world sit and chat with me everyday.

I can make decisions without "going up the food chain", take the days I want when I want (for the most part), and I can tell the boss she is an idiot in whatever language comes to mind and not only not get fired - get confirmation. lastly, I can sleep at night with whatever decisions I made during the day because I felt they were the right decisions for ME. Oh, I can also pass guests on to someone else when it is not convenient for me..
gillumhouse said:
I can tell the boss she is an idiot in whatever language comes to mind and not only not get fired - get confirmation.
Don't ya love it! I have some of the best conversations with myself...

I can make decisions without "going up the food chain", take the days I want when I want (for the most part), and I can tell the boss she is an idiot in whatever language comes to mind and not only not get fired - get confirmation. lastly, I can sleep at night with whatever decisions I made during the day because I felt they were the right decisions for ME. Oh, I can also pass guests on to someone else when it is not convenient for me..
gillumhouse said:
I can tell the boss she is an idiot in whatever language comes to mind and not only not get fired - get confirmation.
I get to spend the day with DH...my best friend. I can sip my coffee, putter in the garden and I still manage to get to work on time! The pay sure beats what teachers make!

gillumhouse said:
I get to spend the day with DH...my best friend. I can sip my coffee, putter in the garden and I still manage to get to work on time! The pay sure beats what teachers make!
That's lovey!

I can bake breads and experiment with cooking and baking at a time I find good for ME. I can get ready and not have to get into the car and spend time in traffic or on the road and I can also accept a job or decline a job offer and go to a different place and B & B...this is the best job!

Well the norm has just kicked in! Came home from an all day meeting to find an e-mail from RezKey - please put me on your waiting list. That is a new thing!! I have the rooms blocked for my trip to my niece's wedding and she wants to come the day I am leaving!! I swear I should plan to go away - this is the second one who wanted to book while I am gone. Tried to send her up the road as I did the other one) but she said she has been here before (which is why the name tickled my gray matter) and she is willing to send me a check now so she is prepaid (DH does not do cc machine) and have whatever he puts before her for breakfast. I see a bread pudding in the future!!
So this is the best job ever - I can go away and still make money!

I like my job because I am always right! even when I am wrong. Don't have to put up with complete rubbish from management cos its me (though there is a bit from DH ha ha) ie the hotel I worked at went bust twice while I was there due to things like if you sell a room through laterooms its 15% commission right? but reception was not allowed to match laterooms prices or go slightly cheaper (which would have brought in more money) therefore we often lost the sale but it "kept the average room rate up" ie to the management it was better to sell 1 room at $150 than 30 at $120 which is madness!!! plus once you have them in a hotel you have potential to sell them other things ie wi-fi, drinks, room service, food etc!!!

"Win or lose it is all on me"
"I call the shots, there are no committees"

"Win or lose it is all on me"
"I call the shots, there are no committees".
You see this in most all the comments. It's a real harbinger of what makes a great innkeeper.
Over the last several years, this has really toughened me up. There's something about taking pride in being personally responsible.
Seems like I am less likely to make excuses and blame others. Then again, could be I'm just enjoying the benefits of maturity.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

1. I get to kiss the cook without a sexual harrassment suit being filed against me.
2. I can quit anytime.
3. Did I mention that I can quit anytime?

1. I get to kiss the cook without a sexual harrassment suit being filed against me.
2. I can quit anytime.
3. Did I mention that I can quit anytime?.
Proud Texan said:
2. I can quit anytime.
Oddly enough we say the opposite. Often. "Do whatever you want, you can never quit and you won't be fired," we even say that to our assistants, ahem kids "You can't get fired so you might as well do it right."
or in my every day vernacular about innkeeping "You can check out but you can never leave..."

^^^
What everyone else said.
Plus,
I get to live in a much nicer house than I would otherwise.
I get to stay home with my kids.
I get to meet interesting people from all over.
I get paid to make conversation.
I get to practice hospitality.
I have an excuse for owning so much glassware. (And silverware... And...)
My kids get to learn about work, home ec, and running a business.

=)
Kk.

2. I can quit anytime.
3. Did I mention that I can quit anytime?.
Proud Texan said:
2. I can quit anytime.
Oddly enough we say the opposite. Often. "Do whatever you want, you can never quit and you won't be fired," we even say that to our assistants, ahem kids "You can't get fired so you might as well do it right."
or in my every day vernacular about innkeeping "You can check out but you can never leave..."
Joey Bloggs said:
"Do whatever you want, you can never quit and you won't be fired," we even say that to our assistants, ahem kids "You can't get fired so you might as well do it right."
I'm totally stealing this as my kids get older and take on more work.
True, we can't get fired... but my reputation is very important to me (as well as the source of lots of my bookings), so while quitting and firing aren't options, doing it wrong isn't an option, either!
=)
Kk.

Back