This is when it's tough to be an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
DHs family is all on an Alaskan cruise right now to celebrate his brother's 50th birthday. We couldn't go. We wanted to go desperately, but weight the risk of having interim innkeepers here during the most crazy time of the summer and we decided we couldn't risk it. This is when the wackos come out to play. People show up with kids and dogs, or have unimagined expectation of who and what we are and what we provide. Folks with attitudes and demands.
After their cruise, they are then staying in our 'happy house' (our some day retirement house) and we can't be with them. We can't even get away for 1 night.
Such is the life of an innkeeper. Most of the time I'm able to keep our lifestyle/career in perspective, but times like these I just get sad and envious of those with a 'regular' life.
This was definitely a vent/cry...at least I know that all of you understand what we're going through. Thanks

heart.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
People show up with kids and dogs...
I made a reservation yesterday for a meeting I'm attending in Little Rock in September. Had to call the Embassy Suites directly to get the group rate. The woman taking my reservation asked me how many adults and children would be in the room. I said, "Nobody else. It's just me." She repeated, "No kids? You won't have any kids with you?"
Looks like they have the same situation we do, of people showing up with unannounced kids because they don't really count, you know.

broken_heart.gif
sorry, it is rough when we have the ball and chain, when everyone else is out playing with beach balls.

I used to work 12 hour shifts and I was on every other weekend. For me to take vacation to do family things meant taking 36 hours off when everyone else was just 'off'. A couple of weddings or birthdays out of state and I was out of vacation FOR THE YEAR!
We even planned our wedding around my days off so my workmates would have the weekend off to come to the wedding!

YUP i know how that is, although I am now on the other side of it (innkeeper but not owner) which is a little easier to go on vaca-we get two next year but still have to deal with when and how and to help find the insitter. I remember that, and we are still tied to the Inn the rest of the time-take a weekend? no way, although we may ask for one before summer is over.
heart.gif

I feel your pain too. For me the worst part is when my kids come home, which is becoming more and more rare, and I can't spend time with them because the B&B is booked. Then they leave at the same time the guests leave and I've barely had 5 minutes with them!

I feel your pain too. For me the worst part is when my kids come home, which is becoming more and more rare, and I can't spend time with them because the B&B is booked. Then they leave at the same time the guests leave and I've barely had 5 minutes with them!.
Country Girl said:
I feel your pain too. For me the worst part is when my kids come home, which is becoming more and more rare, and I can't spend time with them because the B&B is booked. Then they leave at the same time the guests leave and I've barely had 5 minutes with them!
The obvious solution: put 'em to work right beside you. MY mother would have!

I feel your pain too. For me the worst part is when my kids come home, which is becoming more and more rare, and I can't spend time with them because the B&B is booked. Then they leave at the same time the guests leave and I've barely had 5 minutes with them!.
Country Girl said:
Arkansawyer said:
Country Girl said:
They do work when they are here. Our son painted the deck and our daughter did all the baking, but I miss having time to sit and just visit with them. They are always incredibly helpful. I've offered to hire them but so far no takers. Not really a booming metropolis here in our little town and they have other aspirations. Maybe someday. It's great that they do love to come home though, even if I do put them to work.

Back