This might help someone restaurant dot com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
tight money but wanting to give gifts
a friend gave me a $25 gift certificate from restaurant.com and i took someone out to lunch with it ... then she let me in on a secret. my gift certificate only cost her $3.
right now (12/22) , you can purchase gift certificates and use the promo code holiday and get 80% off. you already can buy a $25 gift certficate for $15, a $50 for $25, a $75 for $30 and a $100 for $40. a great deal i thought. but using the promo code, i bought 3 $75 gift certificates for only $21! all kinds of rules and restrictions apply and you have to find a participating restaurant, etc. so you have to follow the rules. the recipient finds a restaurant online and redeems it and prints out the certificate i guess to take to the specific restaurant. (like i said, i was given a gift card but it's supposed to work the same way)
but i was very impressed. it was too late for me to request gift cards in the mail in time to give on christmas (which i would have preferred) but i printed them out on nice paper and have some envelopes to use.
i know it's a promotion and they must lose money doing it ... so i hope it brings the participating restaurants business. the man who owns the restaurant i used my gift at said he is only doing it for december and it's bringing him new customers he thinks.
just sharing this here, maybe it will help someone.

Be careful with restaurant.com certificates. Read all the fine print, particularly for the restaurant you'd like to use them for. Unlike a normal gift dollar amount, they cannot be combined, and they have a minimum dollar amount - you must spend $100 to use a $50 certificate, $20 to use a $10 certificate, etc. In the end they are about the same deal you get from buying groupon/livingsocial coupons.

Thanks Seashanty! I just bought 2 $100 gift cards for only $16.00. Of course part of me says that if it's too good to be true, there must be a catch or problem, but hey, I figured it was worth the $16.00 risk.

Thanks Seashanty! I just bought 2 $100 gift cards for only $16.00. Of course part of me says that if it's too good to be true, there must be a catch or problem, but hey, I figured it was worth the $16.00 risk..
I have used them. There may be a # in party requirement (the ones we used had a minimum of 4), what days it can be used, and a minimum total, but it was not difficult ro reach the total. The larger the certificate, the more expensive the menu but it does make it possible to experience new restaurants. I have also given them.

Thanks Seashanty! I just bought 2 $100 gift cards for only $16.00. Of course part of me says that if it's too good to be true, there must be a catch or problem, but hey, I figured it was worth the $16.00 risk..
I chose to get the gift cards because in the small town where our "happy house" is, there are 2 restaurants listed that we like. The rules for those restaurants were very reasonable. There are no expiration dates. Purchasing at the regular discount rates, I'd think twice about them, but at this 80% discount it would be hard to not be getting a great deal.
Thanks for everyone's input. It's made me more secure that it's a good thing.

Like I always say "Everyone likes a discount!"
I always apply the same mentality to running a B&B. People are HAPPY when they get a discount! I know I feel the total Hunting & Collecting achievement when I have found something great on sale! and yes, it is true I like it MORE.

Be careful with restaurant.com certificates. Read all the fine print, particularly for the restaurant you'd like to use them for. Unlike a normal gift dollar amount, they cannot be combined, and they have a minimum dollar amount - you must spend $100 to use a $50 certificate, $20 to use a $10 certificate, etc. In the end they are about the same deal you get from buying groupon/livingsocial coupons..
Scarlett said:
Be careful with restaurant.com certificates. Read all the fine print, particularly for the restaurant you'd like to use them for. Unlike a normal gift dollar amount, they cannot be combined, and they have a minimum dollar amount - you must spend $100 to use a $50 certificate, $20 to use a $10 certificate, etc. In the end they are about the same deal you get from buying groupon/livingsocial coupons.
Scarlett,
It depends on the restaurant .... you have to go to restaurant.com and read what it says for that particular place.
The user has to read the rules for each restaurant.
to use my $25 certificate, i had to spend an additional $10 ... but NOT an additional $25. a very good deal for me.
so although it wasn't like walking in with a $25 gift certificate that i could use and pay no cash, we were able to have a very nice meal for $10.
Groupon is fine. But i am not seeing local restaurant coupons right now in Groupon.
Seashanty

It depends on the restaurant where the person wants to go. It allowed me to treat a friend to a $35 meal for $10 so I was sold. Lots of restrictions do apply,sometimes it just for lunches, sometimes just for dinners, often you have to spend a minimum additional.
just caution whoever you give them to that they must carefully read the rules for that restaurant.

I always apply the same mentality to running a B&B. People are HAPPY when they get a discount! I know I feel the total Hunting & Collecting achievement when I have found something great on sale! and yes, it is true I like it MORE. .
Part of me feels terrible about the kind of discount the restaurant is having to "eat". It sounds like it's the bb.com gift card scenario, but for restaurants. I know it's their choice to participate or not, but since I have strong feelings about the bb.com gift cards I feel a bit like a hypocrite. If these cards work well for us, why should we not continue to buy them and use them at our two local place? There's no incentive for us to pay full price. Just like those PITAS who only go to B&Bs with the darned gift cards.

It depends on the restaurant where the person wants to go. It allowed me to treat a friend to a $35 meal for $10 so I was sold. Lots of restrictions do apply,sometimes it just for lunches, sometimes just for dinners, often you have to spend a minimum additional.
just caution whoever you give them to that they must carefully read the rules for that restaurant.
seashanty said:
and 18% gratuity is automatically applied to your bill (when you redeem it) on the full amount PRIOR to the discount off.
So the servers do not care, they get paid no matter what, and on the full check amount. The owners don't mind as they are the ones who added their business to this discount program. The owners are using it as marketing, and I for one, if I used this discount and found a great place WOULD GO BACK. So it is a win win! It is not part of an initiative like BB.com as I can confirm this as there are NO restaurants near me in this program, only a city away and then only 4.

I always apply the same mentality to running a B&B. People are HAPPY when they get a discount! I know I feel the total Hunting & Collecting achievement when I have found something great on sale! and yes, it is true I like it MORE. .
Part of me feels terrible about the kind of discount the restaurant is having to "eat". It sounds like it's the bb.com gift card scenario, but for restaurants. I know it's their choice to participate or not, but since I have strong feelings about the bb.com gift cards I feel a bit like a hypocrite. If these cards work well for us, why should we not continue to buy them and use them at our two local place? There's no incentive for us to pay full price. Just like those PITAS who only go to B&Bs with the darned gift cards.
Breakfast Diva said:
but then again ... i liked the restaurant. if i want to have dinner there on a saturday nite, which i'd like to because they have live music, i can't use one of these certificates or cards. that's in their terms. and i will likely go back to hear the music and have a dinner .. so in that case it has brought me in. i didn't know how to get there before, now i do. i thought the area was a little sketchy, but it's not. i didn't know if it would be difficult for my physically challenged friend but they kindly seated us at a different table so he would have more room to maneuver.
which makes me wonder ... what site would i post a review on for that nice restaurant?
there will always be people who will only go someplace if they get a deal. i have friends who opened a restaurant a few months ago. they are reluctant to participate in a groupon promotion because of the expense and because they have friends in the biz who have had 'coupon customers' who only want to come back if they have another coupon.

Looking at the 4 available near me, 2 are places I've never heard of, 1 is a new place and 1 is a pizza place with cardboard pizza. Coupons are sold out for 2 of the places. The others require you spend $35 on a $25 GC, which means I could have gone in there and just paid $25 for $25 worth of food instead of having to run up the bill to $35.
Maybe it is worth it if I was planning a big party and knew we would be spending a lot to start with.
I think it works better if you live in a place with a lot of restaurants participating. For the places near where I am it's not. And I just noticed one of them only allows cash payments.
Well, everyone has said you have to read the rules.

Breakfast Diva said:
but then again ... i liked the restaurant. if i want to have dinner there on a saturday nite, which i'd like to because they have live music, i can't use one of these certificates or cards. that's in their terms. and i will likely go back to hear the music and have a dinner .. so in that case it has brought me in. i didn't know how to get there before, now i do. i thought the area was a little sketchy, but it's not. i didn't know if it would be difficult for my physically challenged friend but they kindly seated us at a different table so he would have more room to maneuver.
which makes me wonder ... what site would i post a review on for that nice restaurant?
there will always be people who will only go someplace if they get a deal. i have friends who opened a restaurant a few months ago. they are reluctant to participate in a groupon promotion because of the expense and because they have friends in the biz who have had 'coupon customers' who only want to come back if they have another coupon.
Post a review on Yelp or ChowHound or TA.

Looking at the 4 available near me, 2 are places I've never heard of, 1 is a new place and 1 is a pizza place with cardboard pizza. Coupons are sold out for 2 of the places. The others require you spend $35 on a $25 GC, which means I could have gone in there and just paid $25 for $25 worth of food instead of having to run up the bill to $35.
Maybe it is worth it if I was planning a big party and knew we would be spending a lot to start with.
I think it works better if you live in a place with a lot of restaurants participating. For the places near where I am it's not. And I just noticed one of them only allows cash payments.
Well, everyone has said you have to read the rules..
Alibi Ike said:
just to be clear, i'm not affiliated with this place or anything
that being said ... i didn't buy restaurant specific certificates. i bought the ones you can use at any restaurant participating ... anywhere. my son's fiancee's mother works in boston, has family in that area, and there are loads of places she can decide to go in and around boston. she also drives out to new york a few times a year. plenty of places out there. i just wanted to give her a little something. i will include a note explaining how it works.
i mentioned the coupon code because instead of paying $25 for a $25 cert, it was $3. plus whatever additional purchase amount the restaurant requires ... and tip.
if i wanted to give someone a gift cert to their favorite restaurant and had the money, i'd go right in and buy one $75 for $75 and no rules, restrictions, etc. if i had the money right now. and if i didn't mind that two gift certificates i have purchased for family are still stuck to their fridge with magnets ... one i gave in may, one in august ... to their supposed most favorite places to go! thank goodness they don't expire. i just hope they use them and not lose them. oh well.
as i mentioned, i got these because my pockets are a little thin right now. that's all.

Alibi Ike said:
that being said ... i didn't buy restaurant specific certificates. i bought the ones you can use at any restaurant participating ... anywhere. my son's fiancee's mother works in boston, has family in that area, and there are loads of places she can decide to go in and around boston. she also drives out to new york a few times a year. plenty of places out there. i just wanted to give her a little something. i will include a note explaining how it works.
i mentioned the coupon code because instead of paying $25 for a $25 cert, it was $3. plus whatever additional purchase amount the restaurant requires ... and tip.
if i wanted to give someone a gift cert to their favorite restaurant and had the money, i'd go right in and buy one $75 for $75 and no rules, restrictions, etc. if i had the money right now. and if i didn't mind that two gift certificates i have purchased for family are still stuck to their fridge with magnets ... one i gave in may, one in august ... to their supposed most favorite places to go! thank goodness they don't expire. i just hope they use them and not lose them. oh well.
as i mentioned, i got these because my pockets are a little thin right now. that's all.
SS, my pockets are usually tight.They forgot to sew up the bottom of my pockets - makes it easier, I do not have to dig and come up with pocket lint.
I used them several years ago and they were restaurant specific. I gave a couple to restaurants in Pittsburgh to friends as Christmas presents (I think they were for $15 off and cost me $2 each and I had one that was $25 off w/party of 4 and I had one for a restaurant in Maryland once when traveling with friends). Back then they did not do them as GC. Our friends did use them and like one place but not the other. Luck of the draw.

Just remember giving them as a gift you are actually encouraging the recipient to spend their own money, ie spend $35 to save the $10.
A comedian recently mentioned the gift that requires work and expense on the part of the recipient, ie give them a sweater that does not fit and they have to go to the mall, spend fuel, time and return it and shop for the right size or something else.
Example, if I gave these to my kids, it would not be a gift card such as sonic for a burger/dessert, it would mean I NEED to spend the $35 minimum plus gratuity for them to redeem them.
Just clarifying, it is not $25 gc to spend at the restaurant, it is a COUPON for $10 off, or whatever denomination. Most of the $50-100 off coupons require a $300 purchase.
shades_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
I didn't see where I could buy a generic one, just 'restaurant-specific' ones. Sorry, it was probably large as life in front of me!

yes ... the more i read about the pricier (sp) ones, the more expensive ones, the more i think they should be called coupons or they could make up some trendier term ... and not gift certs if you are going to give them as gifts since someone has to hand over some cash or plastic to use.

I have been using restauant.com for years - it is a great deal if you get the certs for $2-$4 - $25 off a $35 bill? Whats not to love?! Essentially you would be paying $12 plus tax and tip vs $35 plus tax and tip. Do the math. Thanks for reminding us about this SS - I'm sure it's been mentioned on other threads in the past, but bears repeating if anyone missed it the first time. If I am on a job and know there is a good restaurant in the area that participates I print off a coupon for the guests if they are going there. Go visit Shepherdstown, WV and go to the Bavarian!!!

The Bavarian? An overpriced hotel who calls itself a B&B (even on TA) and takes guest traffic away from the best B&B in that area? No way, not even on a coupon would I go there.

Back