This year's guests have left more tips than ever.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Generally it seems B&B guests don't tip if there are not hired housekeepers. Some would not tip to owners as they are not 'the help'.
This year has been very different. More tips than probably all prior years combined. It might be my now very gray hair! More likely just guests happy that a small B&B is open- with food available (with advance notice) in a fairly isolated setting. I feel a little lift whenever those tips are left. Reminds me of long ago waitresssing and bartending days. I'm saving the collection of Jacksons (they're usually Jacksons) to pay forward when I take my own holiday.

I also have been getting tips. Last year it was gratitude for finding a room. this year I think it is what I do and they are NOW aware of the extra things done. With the businesses posting signs closed due to lack of staff, people are noticing those who are working.

Happy people are showing their thanks in a tangible way! We recently realized there is no longer any chance of tips coming our way. We used to keep them in a ‘fun’ envelope to use to go out for dinner.

We started leaving envelopes when we opened post COVID, with a message we have cleaned & sanitized the rooms, then it's signed by the cleaner. 100% goes to the cleaners who do an amazing job for us. on a per hour basis they are really well paid after tips & our flat fee/room. If we clean rooms, we also leave envelope and yes we use that $$ on vacation. total win all around. Guests love small and comment so often on "clean" in reviews... very grateful!

Guests love small and comment so often on "clean" in reviews... very grateful!

Yes, cleaning has always been number one. Previously taken for granted, but now more appreciated. I leave extra Clorox apray and paper towels in the stand alone units for guest use. I also now wrap the TV remotes in sandwich bags after sanitizing (I dont know why I didn't think of that pre-Covid). I thought people would just press the buttons through the plastic, but most still take them out to use.

Yes, cleaning has always been number one. Previously taken for granted, but now more appreciated. I leave extra Clorox apray and paper towels in the stand alone units for guest use. I also now wrap the TV remotes in sandwich bags after sanitizing (I dont know why I didn't think of that pre-Covid). I thought people would just press the buttons through the plastic, but most still take them out to use.
TV & mini split remotes, we found these little sleeves on Amazon, we slip remotes in the bag, then shrink wrap it with a hair dryer...so easy for cleaners to wipe off.... well worth the couple bucks it cost to buy.... and we have plenty in reserve when need to break the seal to change batteries....

For remotes, we found these Amazon.com: TIE-DailyNec 4 PCS Remote Control Holder, Wall Mount Self-Adhesive Transparent Media Organizer Universal No Drilling Storage Box Clear Remote Holder for Bedroom, Table, Nightstand : Home & Kitchen so we can store the remotes on the wall. So we know where they are.... and if they don't use them :)

For the mini splits, it was TOO problematic. So we bought learning remotes and set up the functions we want them to use... https://www.amazon.com/CHUNGHOP-Learning-Control-Samsung-Philips/dp/B07BTGZ2B4/ relabelled with the PTouch. We have the light turned off. The Play button is 21c, the down is set to 20c and the up is set ot 22c. But they are labelled - and +. So they can push it 10 times to feel better, but it does nothing but set it to 20c. Because we have seen them set it to 10c... because they think it works faster if it does. We also have a labelled button for fan. And a button for HIGH for the fan instead of the AUTO, which adjusts the speed.

We love these remotes... https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Control-Buttons-Universal-Controller/dp/B07DCM9B1N We relabel with the PTouch.

Oh, since we have the ROKU for the TVs, some of the ROKUs don't control the TV, so we reprogrammed those 6 button remotes to turn on the TV and control the volume of the TV. But it keeps them screwing up other things.

OMG Thank you! The issue with guests resetting the mini-splits to wildly divergent temps also. I will be checking these out pronto

Odd... we are seeing much FEWER tips, because they aren't getting daily service.
I’ve stopped even asking if they want room refreshes - nobody said yes last year. I leave extra towels now and more amenities for multi day stays. Deliver sheets in a laundry basket for over three day stays. They can just put the dirty sheets back in the basket outside.
prior to Covid I always did the refresh, for my own peace of mind in addition to the service. Wet towels and glasses removed from surfaces. Sand vacuumed up if needed. This year only one hopelessly broken window blind was the only damage. Air guest who did not respond to messages. Since it was reported day of departure and before the next arrival Air covered the cost ( after a few days of hoops jumping ).

...Deliver sheets in a laundry basket for over three day stays. They can just put the dirty sheets back in the basket outside.

Do they actually change their own sheets? Duvet cover? Do they even know how to put on a duvet cover?

We stopped going into the room. I'm asking them to bring down mugs and food packaging and to leave it on the counter for us to take care of.

Do they actually change their own sheets? Duvet cover? Do they even know how to put on a duvet cover?

We stopped going into the room. I'm asking them to bring down mugs and food packaging and to leave it on the counter for us to take care of.
No duvet covers in summer. Just cotton waffle weave blankets. Easy wash. Fast dry. Haven't had winter multi-day stays that would require blanket changes yet. Very quiet here in the winter months.

One of the workers moved in to the Gillum tonight after I got home and flipped the room (guests had finished breakfast, they still had coffee in the carafe so I told them they were welcome to have another cuppa on the porch or whatever but I was meeting my cousin and her nephew today, totally enjoyed their visit. Have a lovely trip home. AND found a tip when I got home.). One of the 3 had been on a cot. told them I would be up to dismantle the cot but they asked what needed done & did it for me. Told them to toss the linens down the laundry chute (stand at the railing and drop them) and they did. I get such good guests - they could tell I was beat - even offered me one of their beers! I changed the sheets in the Gillum but they stripped the cot & sent the sheets down.

Back