Those Famous Words.... "No Housekeeping Needed"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to go up and try to figute out how to repair the ceiling in my room that came equipped with a leak. The first appraisal the bank received was not a "come in to the house" - I have no idea how they did it - but it was based on the revenue. HUH?? We are talking about property. They were supposed to appraise as a residence since that is what it would probably sell as. (My banker was furious to say the least.)
Now they have screwed around long enough the ceiling is coming down and I need the room tomorrow. TODAY a team of appraisers arrived - one wrote stuff down and the other took photos - and they were here less than 15 minutes. I cannot WAIT to hear what they appraise me at!! To the ladder!.
Many years ago, my parents lived in a house that had a steep garage. To make a long story short, the car got stuck, the tow truck forgot to put on his brakes, rolled down the driveway and hit the central beam of the house.
The insurance company took forever, during the winter. My mom got a very high appraisal. Told the insurance company if they don't hire and fix it, she's signing the contract with the highest estimate she had and going to see them in court. They showed up to fix it a few days later. They knew they would lose in court and the delays are seen as bad faith around here and open them up to extra costs.
Eric I was watching your Holmes on Homes last night. We enjoy seeing the different construction techniques in Canada vs here. Of course he goes around and fixes all the shoddy work done with the wool pulled over the homeowners eyes thinking it must be okay it passes inspection, which is the same everywhere, unfortunately. I laughed as he said "This should be code, but it isn't!"
I want that foam insulation he uses all the time. Or, the Income Property guy's sound barrier insulation.
Madeleine said:
I want that foam insulation he uses all the time. Or, the Income Property guy's sound barrier insulation.
About 100 years ago, when I was in college, I installed foam insulation. Make sure you get a reputable LICENSED contractor. Do not automatically go with the cheapest bid. You get what you pay for. If it's not done properly, it can cause more damage than you can imagine, especially in a remodel or old work retrofit.
The best time to use the foam is in new construction where the blast it on to the studs and ceiling joist before the drywall goes on. The one problem I have with foam is that it completely seals your home and doesn't allow for moisture to escape. I little air infiltration is actually good.
I would use it for sound insulation rather than heat/cold transfer. We have to either rip up the floor or take down a ceiling to fix a rattling pipe (can you believe that!) so we would do it when the floor/ceiling is open.
when we have the roof done we are going to have it sprayed on the inside for insulation while they are on.
We did that, there was no way to properly get into the crawl space. And we installed a reflective membrane roof (white) which cuts down on the heat in the summer.

Back