Those Famous Words.... "No Housekeeping Needed"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I heard them from a guest today and of course I knew what they meant. I opened the door to see the curtain rod pulled from the wall. So downstairs for the ladder and to find some E-Z Anchors
FH00OCT_FRKICA_20.JPG
with screws (The 22 kg stud solvers) and then up the ladder to fix the hole with the anchors and then to screw up the holder and put the drapes back in place.
Why can't a guest simply tell us that there is a problem and ask us to fix it? Do they really think that I'm going to charge them $500 to fix it? Worst case, I plaster today and it's fixed tomorrow. Best case, it's fixed and it's as if it never happened!
Well, it's fixed. But I hate hearing those words "no housekeeping needed" it always leads to bad things. Sometimes I just imagine that maybe they are running a portable grow-op in my house or something and they don't want me to see it.
And to make things worse, I thought yesterday was Friday and I was set for my weekend routine only to wake up and discover it's groundhog day and it's Friday again. Is it a long weekend somewhere because I had most of my weekend check-ins yesterday.

Had 2 very weird couples in last night and was braced for a similar situation! was actually shocked to find rooms were better than normal! one of them had broken 1 glass which are about 6 for $2 so was the least of my worries! then only 1 of them had breakfast. I don't allow no housekeeping needed my chamber maid is instruced to "act a bit foreign" if it comes to it and you don't mess with her.

Had 2 very weird couples in last night and was braced for a similar situation! was actually shocked to find rooms were better than normal! one of them had broken 1 glass which are about 6 for $2 so was the least of my worries! then only 1 of them had breakfast. I don't allow no housekeeping needed my chamber maid is instruced to "act a bit foreign" if it comes to it and you don't mess with her..
... my chamber maid is instruced to "act a bit foreign" if it comes to it and you don't mess with her.
Oh, I am going to remember that one.
We also don't allow 'no housekeeping' unless we know the guest already. I will at least 'take a peek' to see that things are 'tidy enough'.

I have to go up and try to figute out how to repair the ceiling in my room that came equipped with a leak. The first appraisal the bank received was not a "come in to the house" - I have no idea how they did it - but it was based on the revenue. HUH?? We are talking about property. They were supposed to appraise as a residence since that is what it would probably sell as. (My banker was furious to say the least.)
Now they have screwed around long enough the ceiling is coming down and I need the room tomorrow. TODAY a team of appraisers arrived - one wrote stuff down and the other took photos - and they were here less than 15 minutes. I cannot WAIT to hear what they appraise me at!! To the ladder!

I have to go up and try to figute out how to repair the ceiling in my room that came equipped with a leak. The first appraisal the bank received was not a "come in to the house" - I have no idea how they did it - but it was based on the revenue. HUH?? We are talking about property. They were supposed to appraise as a residence since that is what it would probably sell as. (My banker was furious to say the least.)
Now they have screwed around long enough the ceiling is coming down and I need the room tomorrow. TODAY a team of appraisers arrived - one wrote stuff down and the other took photos - and they were here less than 15 minutes. I cannot WAIT to hear what they appraise me at!! To the ladder!.
Your building + property appraisal was based on your revenue? What kind of nonsense is that?
Well, good thing the ceiling is coming down, your assessment will be lower!

Now they have screwed around long enough the ceiling is coming down and I need the room tomorrow. TODAY a team of appraisers arrived - one wrote stuff down and the other took photos - and they were here less than 15 minutes. I cannot WAIT to hear what they appraise me at!! To the ladder!.
Many appraisels are done from the outside only, square footage, our last appraisel was done this way. Then they find comps, which I had issue with as we have 8 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms here, the comparables of the same squrare footage had two! You and I know how much it costs to add a bathroom to a home.
I do not think anything was appraised on your revenue, that can't be accurate.

Many years ago, my parents lived in a house that had a steep garage. To make a long story short, the car got stuck, the tow truck forgot to put on his brakes, rolled down the driveway and hit the central beam of the house.
The insurance company took forever, during the winter. My mom got a very high appraisal. Told the insurance company if they don't hire and fix it, she's signing the contract with the highest estimate she had and going to see them in court. They showed up to fix it a few days later. They knew they would lose in court and the delays are seen as bad faith around here and open them up to extra costs.

Many years ago, my parents lived in a house that had a steep garage. To make a long story short, the car got stuck, the tow truck forgot to put on his brakes, rolled down the driveway and hit the central beam of the house.
The insurance company took forever, during the winter. My mom got a very high appraisal. Told the insurance company if they don't hire and fix it, she's signing the contract with the highest estimate she had and going to see them in court. They showed up to fix it a few days later. They knew they would lose in court and the delays are seen as bad faith around here and open them up to extra costs.
Eric I was watching your Holmes on Homes last night. We enjoy seeing the different construction techniques in Canada vs here. Of course he goes around and fixes all the shoddy work done with the wool pulled over the homeowners eyes thinking it must be okay it passes inspection, which is the same everywhere, unfortunately. I laughed as he said "This should be code, but it isn't!"

Your building + property appraisal was based on your revenue? What kind of nonsense is that?
Madeleine said:
The banker said the same thing! I do not want a lower appraisal (this is not taxes) because I am going for a loan. I need a new roof AND a car. DH grumbles about driving for begies now since the mechanic told him it could last 10 years or go out tomorrow (valves). I figured while I am at it I may as well consolidate everything into one and get rid of my honking loan also. Everything will be less than my honking loan AND my CC payment each month and at lower interest. 3 rooms in Podunk would not support a week in NYC! My banker said her boss was telling her to calm down.

Eric I was watching your Holmes on Homes last night. We enjoy seeing the different construction techniques in Canada vs here. Of course he goes around and fixes all the shoddy work done with the wool pulled over the homeowners eyes thinking it must be okay it passes inspection, which is the same everywhere, unfortunately. I laughed as he said "This should be code, but it isn't!"
Yeah, I have been to L & HD to our south and been awed at what you are allowed that we aren't. No plastic boxes in wiring around here. I still look at wonder when I'm outside of here to see houses with no brick, just wood and siding, which isn't allowed here. My uncle, who lived in a different city (same island) had sprinklers in his home and yet my city doesn't require it.

I want that foam insulation he uses all the time. Or, the Income Property guy's sound barrier insulation.

Yeah, I have been to L & HD to our south and been awed at what you are allowed that we aren't. No plastic boxes in wiring around here. I still look at wonder when I'm outside of here to see houses with no brick, just wood and siding, which isn't allowed here. My uncle, who lived in a different city (same island) had sprinklers in his home and yet my city doesn't require it.
The only bricks here are in the sidewalk. Entire house is wood frame construction. I used to live in a brickyard. The kids were always digging up bricks when they were playing in the yard.
Ya gotta go with what the natural surroundings provide for raw materials. (With the exception of vinyl siding- that doesn't grow on trees or come out of the ground.)
There is a lot of stonework for the cellar.

I want that foam insulation he uses all the time. Or, the Income Property guy's sound barrier insulation.
Madeleine said:
About 100 years ago, when I was in college, I installed foam insulation. Make sure you get a reputable LICENSED contractor. Do not automatically go with the cheapest bid. You get what you pay for. If it's not done properly, it can cause more damage than you can imagine, especially in a remodel or old work retrofit.
The best time to use the foam is in new construction where the blast it on to the studs and ceiling joist before the drywall goes on. The one problem I have with foam is that it completely seals your home and doesn't allow for moisture to escape. I little air infiltration is actually good.

Madeleine said:
About 100 years ago, when I was in college, I installed foam insulation. Make sure you get a reputable LICENSED contractor. Do not automatically go with the cheapest bid. You get what you pay for. If it's not done properly, it can cause more damage than you can imagine, especially in a remodel or old work retrofit.
The best time to use the foam is in new construction where the blast it on to the studs and ceiling joist before the drywall goes on. The one problem I have with foam is that it completely seals your home and doesn't allow for moisture to escape. I little air infiltration is actually good.
I would use it for sound insulation rather than heat/cold transfer. We have to either rip up the floor or take down a ceiling to fix a rattling pipe (can you believe that!) so we would do it when the floor/ceiling is open.

I love Holms on Homes but last week I saw something I could not believe on the show. I had to run it back three times to make sure I saw what I saw. He was putting in french doors and explaning how to do it right of course then upon putting it up they didn't replace the threshold and it was rotted, they just put the door over it. I was stunned!!!! I really did run it back three time to see it. I called my dh to look. He could not believe it either. Holmes does a great job and for him to do this was just awful. Holmes talks about how all these contractors do bad things well maybe I should e-mail him and let him know we saw this.

I love Holms on Homes but last week I saw something I could not believe on the show. I had to run it back three times to make sure I saw what I saw. He was putting in french doors and explaning how to do it right of course then upon putting it up they didn't replace the threshold and it was rotted, they just put the door over it. I was stunned!!!! I really did run it back three time to see it. I called my dh to look. He could not believe it either. Holmes does a great job and for him to do this was just awful. Holmes talks about how all these contractors do bad things well maybe I should e-mail him and let him know we saw this.
Wow!
We also saw on the same show I watched him put new stairs into the basement and untreated timber onto the concrete floor. not sure if that is a code issue in Canada, but it is a big no no here.

Wow!
We also saw on the same show I watched him put new stairs into the basement and untreated timber onto the concrete floor. not sure if that is a code issue in Canada, but it is a big no no here.
Did you see him put the french doors over the rotted door sill? I am going to watch that again when the rerun it. I might be able to go to show list and find it. I will ask DH if he saw what you saw too.

Madeleine said:
I would use it for sound insulation rather than heat/cold transfer. We have to either rip up the floor or take down a ceiling to fix a rattling pipe (can you believe that!) so we would do it when the floor/ceiling is open.
when we have the roof done we are going to have it sprayed on the inside for insulation while they are on.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Again, use a licensed contractor. The foam is actually a combination of two different components. If the mix is off, the foam can have quite a volume and be very heavy until it cures and dries. If you have drywall on the ceiling beneath (or even plaster on lathe) I'd watch the ceiling like a hawk during and after the application. The fact the the floor will be off will help because you won't have a build up of hydraulic pressure within the space. I've seen a few walls blown off their studs before.

Madeleine said:
There are some new products, Maddie, that are more "green" and have little to no VOCs (important if you have asthma). I got very ill while visiting someone who was having the foam sprayed in their attic.

Back