Those guests with the no-subject-line-disease

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you really want a response quick, why not leave the blasted subject line blank so it goes into the junk folder and never gets seen. I get these fairly often and for the life of me cannot figure out why they are so dense!
"END VENT"

Me, too. Most of the time I don't bother opening anything with no subject line. It's not from my site, because that auto-fills the subject line, ditto all the directories, including TA.

Yes, for me that's right up there with people who leave just their name and phone number. I always dread calling them back, and they almost always start with "What are your rates?". Usually a big old waste of time.

Yes, for me that's right up there with people who leave just their name and phone number. I always dread calling them back, and they almost always start with "What are your rates?". Usually a big old waste of time..
Rupert said:
Yes, for me that's right up there with people who leave just their name and phone number. I always dread calling them back, and they almost always start with "What are your rates?". Usually a big old waste of time.
Phone message: 'Hi! We'd like to stay the 5th & 6th, can you let us know if you have any rooms!'
OK, the 5th & 6th of WHAT? The next closest month? 6 months down the road? YOU, dear caller, are looking at your calendar, I am not. And it happens a LOT that they really are looking for 5-6 months out. But they've been on the phone making so many plans they forget that not everyone knows when they are going away.

Yes, for me that's right up there with people who leave just their name and phone number. I always dread calling them back, and they almost always start with "What are your rates?". Usually a big old waste of time..
Rupert said:
Exactly what those calls are! Same here.

New vent, same as the old vent...
Just answered the phone. Trying to do better with this after reading that blog about 'A tale of 2 inns,' so I take my time and greet the caller (a real caller, not a telemarketer).
Caller says this and only this: 'What are your rates?'
Taken aback I ask when they are coming. But I am still planning to do a bang up job of describing the rooms!
Caller says this: Why? What difference does it make?
OK, you want to make a reservation but you don't want to tell me for when?
Oh joy, we're full when they want to come! Would not even let me give them another place to stay, just hung up.

New vent, same as the old vent...
Just answered the phone. Trying to do better with this after reading that blog about 'A tale of 2 inns,' so I take my time and greet the caller (a real caller, not a telemarketer).
Caller says this and only this: 'What are your rates?'
Taken aback I ask when they are coming. But I am still planning to do a bang up job of describing the rooms!
Caller says this: Why? What difference does it make?
OK, you want to make a reservation but you don't want to tell me for when?
Oh joy, we're full when they want to come! Would not even let me give them another place to stay, just hung up..
If that was the extent of his conversation..who wants him?? :-(

Probably the only usable piece of advice our PO's gave us...when the first question is "What are your rates" it's never going to turn into a booking. I still try, and I do the same as you, "When are you looking to come?" They never want to give you specifics, they are usually just on the cheap.
It's also about the time of year when people are trying to book for our busy season and they want single night Saturdays. "But we want two rooms"...so that's TWICE the effort to change out TWO rooms for Friday/Saturday. They don't get it. Then they ask me if I can recommend another b&b. I say they all have the same policy, but they might allow a single night stay AS THE DATE GETS CLOSER...dead silence. If you want to lock something in now you'll need to book 2 nights. If you can only stay one night, any one of our many hotels will be happy to accommodate you. "Oh, I guess that makes sense."
Enlightening the masses, one person at a time. Maybe this is my real calling?
teeth_smile.gif

P.S. I am doing taxes so I am a $@#! on wheels today.

Probably the only usable piece of advice our PO's gave us...when the first question is "What are your rates" it's never going to turn into a booking. I still try, and I do the same as you, "When are you looking to come?" They never want to give you specifics, they are usually just on the cheap.
It's also about the time of year when people are trying to book for our busy season and they want single night Saturdays. "But we want two rooms"...so that's TWICE the effort to change out TWO rooms for Friday/Saturday. They don't get it. Then they ask me if I can recommend another b&b. I say they all have the same policy, but they might allow a single night stay AS THE DATE GETS CLOSER...dead silence. If you want to lock something in now you'll need to book 2 nights. If you can only stay one night, any one of our many hotels will be happy to accommodate you. "Oh, I guess that makes sense."
Enlightening the masses, one person at a time. Maybe this is my real calling?
teeth_smile.gif

P.S. I am doing taxes so I am a $@#! on wheels today..
I just received this e-mail this morning. The subject line was from our webervations page "webervations availability".
Code:
Hello 
I an wondering if you have a room with 2 beds for tonight?  What is your rate?
Thank you 
HUH??  You're on my webervations page!! Can't you see for yourself? 
It's right there in front of your face. I clicked the delete button.
By the way, I'm NOT doing taxes today and I'm still $@#! on wheels. I think it's this time of year.

Back