Those oddball websites that scrape your info

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Got an email last week from a website purporting to be 'local'. They wanted to let me know 75 views were made of my site. Huh? The blurb they posted in the email is something I wrote up about 7 years ago. Went to the site and it hasn't been updated since 2014 and the first thing in the banner section across the top is 'server not found'.
I wonder if there is an automatic email generation program running that will send an email out every year until they stop paying for the domain name?
So, how is the site doing? We're listed as a hotel. 75% of the properties listed under B&B don't exist any longer. Some of them have been gone for 10 years or more.
Clicking the links to 'go to website' got a variety of results: domain for sale, a foreign language website, and one that locked the back button from working.
The 'local' info states we have no public transportation but you can call these taxis. Both out of business. We do have a bus and a train, neither mentioned.
This stuff is just annoying, but it most likely won't ever be seen.

Anything to make a buck. Remember that guy that was selling links on his website to people stupid enough to pay him for it... there's a sucker born every minute and those who don't know the scams well enough, pay the bills.

Back